What did you build/automated today (with pictures)?

Are these sensors in the water, or measuring surface temp of the pipes? And what firmware are you using on the ESP8266?

1 Like

The sensors are the waterproof version with stainless steel ends. They are under the pipe insulation, against the copper pipe. Probably a little slow in reacting to the water temp changes, but close enough for my purposes.
The ESP firmware is custom, and publishes messages on MQTT that look like this:

/sensor/bcff4d1a1df1/281d5d7791030232 149.90
/sensor/bcff4d1a1df1/28430f7791040277 60.80
/sensor/bcff4d1a1df1/28b75e77910b0299 146.41

The first hex string is the reporting node (ESP)'s MAC address, the second is the sensor ID.
The contact looks like /sensor/{noce id}/HEATCALL. ON|OFF

Temperatures are read every 30 seconds and reported if they change.
Contract is checked every 2.5 seconds and reported on change.

The MQTT topics are mapped to items via a generic MQTT Thing.

This architecture allows me to have multiple copies of the setup with the sensors and nodes automatically given unique IDs. I haven’t generalized the contact yet.

2 Likes

Sounds like what I’m about to attempt with two DS18B20 sensors on an ESP8266, though I’m just going to use Tasmota I think. I’m glad to hear it works well enough!

1 Like

Interfaced my diesel hot air heater in my campervan through AfterBurner (ESP32 based brillant project by Mr Jones) over MQTT/JSON to OH3.3 on Rpi:

2 Likes

Here’s an oldie revisited. I finally turned the bathtub into a pandemic safe concert hall using solid-borne sound transducers. Ear-piercing sound even under water.

5 Likes

all of my home is automated, so looked into my EV:

Basically it reads the data provided from the car manufacturer.

1 Like

Hi Markus, which transducer did you use? Tried to figure out some time ago, if this could be applicable to bring audio to my kitchen. But all I found where recommendations better not to use such transducers at all.

1 Like

Visaton 4541. Not exactly Hi-Fi but alright for the price, the whole solution including a BT amplifier was maybe 150€. Pretty enjoyable given the commercial alternative I saw (some Kaldewei bathtub) was 5k€ (!).

1 Like

so i did some WLED Projects around the house … this one is my favorite so far

building the box was so much fun so i enjoyed twice :slight_smile:

oh and some credit to the guy who de

took WLED working project skipped the diffuser and used the glass of gate itself

6 Likes

Here’s my quick contribution. 12 volt, rgb strip, controlled with a H801 rgbww controller flashed with tasmota, located behind the TV, hooked to openHAB.
A rule, using a xiaomi light sensor, states that the rgb strip should only light up, when the TV is turned on, and only if the light in the living room is under a certain threshold.
E.g.: it light detected by light sensor is under 30 lumens, and TV is turned on, then also turn on the TV back light. If not, then do nothing.

Super simple stuff, but WAF went up quite significantly.

Album here: https://imgur.com/gallery/zgPCyBF

4 Likes

For the last couple of months I was working on a music player mainly for my kids. Since I’m now pretty pleased with the software as well I might as well share with you the results. Though I spent a good amount of thinking about technical details the woodworking and lacquering tasks where by the far the most challenging parts for me.

Short feature overview:

• Spotify player with Spotify connect
  • RFID reader to trigger and store playlists
  • Fancy LED for volume setting, volume level and low battery visualisation
  • USV type power supply with automatic shutdown feature
  • simple controls: power on/off, volume, previous and next song
  • headphone jack that mutes the integrated main amp

But see for yourself:

For anyone interested in the code I just published my repo here:

There is no documentation there whatsoever. If you’re interested in the project please let me know. I can add some useful info in the Readme then.

8 Likes

A small project I did more or less just for fun: a smart letterbox. It’s not incredibly useful since my doorbell usually also informs me when the postman arrives but I had some spare hardware after I replaced my self-built semi-smart doorbell with a proper one and just wanted to try this. I have a pretty standard (at least in Germany) letterbox like this one: Burg Wächter Briefkasten Black & Steel London-Set 68670 B+S kaufen bei OBI

I used an ESP-01S with two switches, one for the flap and one for the door. Both switches wake the ESP from deep sleep which sends a message via ESPNow to my gateway in the house. The door switch NC-connector is also connected to the RX Pin which is pulled high so that the ESP knows which switch was opened (RX High → flap, RX Low → door).

Fun fact: realised too late that the battery does not fit in the box with the lid closed so I just cut a hole in there :man_shrugging: This at least gives me easy access to the battery so it’s actually quite convenient.

The openHAB logic is very simple: assume that there is something in the box when the flap was opened last, and assume it has been emptied after the door has been opened.

5 Likes

This weekend I secured my OH server and Router with an uninterruptible power supply (UPS device: Eaton Ellipse ECO with USB) - nothing special, so there are no fancy pictures.
Of course its monitored by OpenHABs NUT (Network UPS Tools) binding :innocent: a big thank you to the coders.
Initial test shows that the 650er UPS can power it for at least half hour :blush: Missing is a rule that pushes a message to my phone via LTE-USB stick. Any hints how to implement this?

1 Like

I can help :slight_smile: I have a very similar setup, I’m rocking an Eaton 850VA, also with NUT.
What I did was to create an automation with node red and a telegram bot.
So I can ask at any point the current duration of the battery. And if it falls down to under 300 seconds then it triggers a dialog (through telegram as well) which will lead to starting a save shutdown. This last
Part is not yet implemented though.

(Sorry about the Portuguese, usually I have everything in English. It’s a basic setup though. The first couple messages it’s a simple
Information stating when the blinds are opening/closing. Then I ask how long the UPS lasts, and it returns the actual value in minutes. Hope this explanation is good enough.)

1 Like

my latest and greatest :slight_smile:

still not even 20% done… i have 20 stairs to wire up :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Very cool. Are you controlling these with Arduino and WLED? Do you have a motion sensor that triggers and then Openhab sends the command?

Agree with the user above. We need more details!

ahh wanted to an orgnize post but i will tell

1. for now i use an ESP8266(need to upgrade to a dig uno) and yes WLED
  2. still no conncted to my setup, i have planty of PIR around the house so i will use them as input
  3. acuutly i HA user now and not OH :frowning: but i like this fourm better :slight_smile:
1 Like

This looks great! What LED strips are you using?

using WS8211 12V trying to keep the cost down…