What did you build/automated today (with pictures)?

Nice, that’s EXACTLY how I measure my pool temperature too and how I had to write rules to ignore temperature when pump is off :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is awesome. Great job.

I was recently playing with my stainless waterproof DS18B2 probes, a wemos D1 (esp8266) and Mqtt.

I have been looking for the right solution to insert the probe into the pool plumbing without leaks or issues.

Can you tell me what you used?

Also, very clean setup with the outdoor rated box…

Are you using wifi from outdoor to your hub inside?

Cheers

1 Like

Nice work…I was fortunate enough to have a pool controller that reported the temp and thankful for the Autelis binding that allowed me to read that data. What was not offered was a read for PSI of the pool filter. With help from this forum, I was able to build a pool pressure sensor that reports back to my HABPanel display and also sends alerts when the pressure crosses a threshold, reminding me it’s time too backwash the filter.

1 Like

I don’t know the english word, but please google “presa a staffa”, it’s in Italian but the pictures will show you what it is.

Yes, I have a tp link ad7200 router that reaches the setup with some challenges, I loose some samples but the water temp is so stable that I don’t need that many.

1 Like

Okay, this is another really good idea… Do you happen to know what pressure sensor you used?

1 Like

Thank you, Found some “PVC Clamp-On Saddle” or “PVC Plastic Pipe Clamp On Saddle”

I also found these threaded DSB1820 sensors if one was brave enough to drill/tap 1/2" thread and install with epoxy/glue. (looks to be $15 CDN)

1 Like

@openhab2

I used a pressure sensor like this:

I connected it with a T-fitting so it and my analog pressure gauge could both be in place at the same time.

The digital pressure gauge was connected to ADS1115 which was connected to a NODEMCU running ESPEASY. I used MQTT to send the pressure data to OH.

2 Likes

Yes! I bought this one, 50mm length. It fits very well into a 50mm diameter pipe.

3 Likes

This is so cool @snoekieboe!
I’m looking forward to the elaborate write-up. I’d love to be able to set-up up something similar with my OH3 set-up and Lorex IP Cameras.

Thanks for posting!

Cheers,
Randy

1 Like

i am superman :man_superhero:

just kidding trying to revive the post

2 Likes

Played around a bit with the new UI and quickly designed a Rick and Morty Homescreen. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just have to see if we have a portal gun binding yet. :upside_down_face:

Have a good night everyone (at least if you are in my timezone or around it) and don’t forget to have some fun, while taking home automation serious all day long. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

with the new version of openhab3 i decided to upgrade the hardware from arduino with the siemens logo ,the rpi in the corner is a test server with openhab v3 rc2

11 Likes

Today, I’ve continued working on reverse engineering our pool heat pump and will upload the current state later to github:

Earlier this year, I’ve created a WIFI-MQTT-Bridge for the Balboa spa controller (no new picture, controller inside spa body):

Earlier this year, I’ve created a WIFI-MQTT-Bridge for our new LG Therma V R32 heat pump:

Hope that someone can use this :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Just to share one more way to identify when your pool filtration system is ON or OFF. I also wanted to measure pool water temperature but I am not switching the filtration from openHAB so I found another way to check that.
I added a DS18B20 temperature sensor in between the cooling ribs of the filtration motor and thus monitored the motor temperature. Obviously, the motor temperature has increased up to a certain point when it is running. When motor is switched off, surprisingly the motor temperature doesn’t drop but starts raising up (as the motor active cooling gets off together with the motor) and then after few minutes starts dropping. Easily checked by a rule.
Furthermore I added an alert if the filtration is off for too much long (>24h) which might end up with a green pool in the middle of summer :wink:
I also want to add the pressure sensor and would like to add some water level sensor to indicate too low or too high level (to switch off water pump), but didn’t find a good solution yet.

3 Likes

I absolutely Love this.
Have you figured out how to change the transparency of the image?

1 Like

Hi
Could you possibly give me some tips on how to reverse engineer things like this.

I have an AirCon controller that sends data over a RJ cable to a main controller. I would like to somehow intercept this so i can see things like Temperature set, modes. etc.

Just not sure where to start.

1 Like

You need to figure out the pin assignment on the connection first. Where is gnd, where is the supply voltage, what’s the other lines…

What equipment do you have access to?

I thought about a little video on the poolstar controller on this topic but other stuff is more important at the moment

1 Like

I have regular multimeters and such, but i assume that if im trying to read data and reverse engineer some sort of data protocol i will need an oscilliscope

1 Like

Today, I’ve soldered and placed the mqtt controller for the pool heat pump.

So project finished, now on to the next one :wink:

@Christopher_Hemmings We should create a seperate topic for this, I think. Please create one and mention me. Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

we built our new house in 2015, very energy-saving without oil or gas-heating. we installed (warm water)-solar panels on the roof. in winter this is too less, so we have a wood-stove in the living-room. this stove is controlled by an automatically air-flap, means what normally is regulated manually by a handle is here done by a servo motor connected to a pi-zero.

on the frontdoor i installed a small contact to know if firedoor is opened or closed. in the exhaust i installed a temperature sensor and in the fresh-air-input i installed a servo-motrized flap. to visualize the most important states i installed a led-stripe on top of the stove.

all state-infos and settings are published with mqtt and can be seen and changed in openhab. the programm i wrote in python.

when closing the door the leds turn orange, the flap opens and the burn-cyclus starts. if too long the temperature does not rise (for example when i only cleaned the stove) the process interrupts.
when temperature reaches a certain value the leds switch to red and the flap closes a bit and waits until the temperature drops, then the flap closes in 10 steps depending on the temperature.
when it is low enough that wood can be reloaded, the led-stripe switch to green so everyone can see that it is time to load new wood. in openhab i can additionally let blink some lights or send me an email then.
meanwhile i am working on this project for three years. as i am not a programmer and have to do a lot of try and error but i am a little proud that it meanwhile works quite good so far.

first steps on my desk:

electronics for the led-stripe and temp-sensor together with contact terminals for all devices:

installed with the pi-zero in a case behind the stove:

burning finished, leds are green:

overview in openhab (exhaust-temp, flap-position and temperatures of the water-tank):

16 Likes