Which Smoke Detector (Groups, Notification, etc)

Sorry. I could not tell you. I bought mine in October and November 2017. No battery issues since then.

Ok, this is only 3-4 months so far. You might have to change the battery soon for the first time…

Ok, I’m going to report this.

Damn … I thought the Popp 4001 would be the best option for me… but this doesn’t sound too good.
The new Popp ones with 10 years battery life are very expensive.

They are more expensive, that is true. I just ordered one for testing and I will report battery life. However, this might (hopefully) take some time…

Can you post your Complete settings and rule examples?

1 Like

Sorry. I’m on vacation. When I’m back I can do that.

How do you do that? The device has a channel ‘battery-level’ but as already mentioned here it will always show 100% and is of no use at all. As far as I know the only chance to get to know about a low battery is listening to the beeping of the device.

(This is exactly what Popp Support told me!)

I then disabled Parameter 6 and wrote a rule. When battery-level == 0 then send notification.

But I don’t now if smoke sensor is peeping before it is = 0 (with disabled Parameter 6), because mine are only 4 month old…

I am really interested in this and if it works for you. I have persisted my battery level item on a “every update” strategy. Although I already had to change the battery 2 times and collected more than 4.000 values in the DB-table I only have records with value ‘100’ nothing else… :frowning:

What a freaking sh…, even the POPP 10 years smoke detector is a bad joke and misleading product. I just received my POPE009402 today an wondered why there was a small 1/2 AA battery coming with the device (although it has a built in not changeable 10 years battery). The answer can be found in the manual:

So the smoke detector will work long time, the Z-Wave functions won’t.
Honestly I am really disappointed with all battery powered Z-Wave+ devices so far. The PLUS devices (Gen5 or 500 chip series) were introduced with loud marketing noise claiming the improved ability for long battery life. So far ALL PLUS devices I own last only for maximum 6-8 months which is a bad joke and absolutely inacceptable. Some devices (like Fibaro motion sensor) which I own as an old version (Z-Wave) and new version (Z-Wave plus) show significantly differences in battery life. While the old ones lasted 1,5 to 2 years the new ones die after 6 months. Just my 5 cents… :frowning:

@cl-oh

Here are some examples:

.items:

Switch POPP_Smoke_2_A 	"WZ Feueralarm" 		<fire> 			(GF_Living, Fire) {channel="zwave:device:d846b027:node5:sensor_binary"}
Switch POPP_Smoke_2_Sw  "WZ Sirene"				<siren> 		(GF_Living, Fire) {channel="zwave:device:d846b027:node5:switch_binary"}
Switch POPP_Smoke_2_GA  "WZ General Alarm"		<siren> 		(GF_Living, Fire) {channel="zwave:device:d846b027:node5:alarm_general"}
Number POPP_Smoke_2_Battery "WZ Popp Batterie" 	<battery> 		(GF_Living, Fire, Battery) {channel="zwave:device:d846b027:node5:battery-level"}

.rules:

rule "Feueralarm WZ an"
	when
		Item POPP_Smoke_2_A changed to ON
	then
        sendCommand(POPP_Smoke_3_Sw, ON)
		sendCommand(POPP_Smoke_4_Sw, ON)
		sendBroadcastNotification("Feueralarm im WZ")
end

rule "Feueralarm WZ aus"
	when
		Item POPP_Smoke_2_A changed to OFF
	then
        sendCommand(POPP_Smoke_3_Sw, OFF)
		sendCommand(POPP_Smoke_4_Sw, OFF)
end

rule "Batterie-Stand bei Popp WZ ist 0"
	when 
		Item POPP_Smoke_2_Battery changed from 100 to 0
	then
		sendBroadcastNotification("Batterie im Wohnzimmer ist leer")
end

I have 2 Popp smoke sensors which are grouped to show if an alarm is active on the main screen:

Group:Switch:OR(ON, OFF) gTest     "Rauchmelder [%s]"                                    <fire>   
Switch    POPP_Smoke_1_C          "Alarm Rauchmelder EG Flur [%s]"                    <fire>    (gTest)
Switch    POPP_Smoke_1_Sw         "Schalter Rauchmelder EG Flur [%s]"                           (gTest)
Switch    POPP_Smoke_2_C          "Alarm Rauchmelder Keller [%s]"                     <fire>    (gTest)                 

For some time now, the group does not work anymore (shows ‘-’).
The POPP_Smoke_1_C show “Untriggered”, not ON/OFF.
I have tried to change the group to

Group:Switch:OR(Triggered, Untriggered) gTest     "Rauchmelder [%s]"                                    <fire>   

but that does not work - I get this log output:

2018-03-11 15:56:18.741 [WARN ] [arthome.core.items.dto.ItemDTOMapper] - State 'Triggered' is not valid for a group item with base type 'Switch'
2018-03-11 15:56:18.744 [ERROR] [arthome.core.items.dto.ItemDTOMapper] - Group function 'OR' requires two arguments. Using Equality instead.

Any ideas?

Just a short follow up: After changing the battery of my POPP 4001 on February, 10th 2018 I today noticed that the battery is already empty again. So again just 4 months of battery life. The device is a joke but not usable for its designated purpose.
The POPP 009402 is neither a good choice: While the battery for the smoke detector is supposed to last 10 years, there is a separate small battery for the Z-Wave radio functions. This one also only lasts much shorter.

Does anybody know a Z-Wave smoke detector which supports wired power supply?

With this i believe you can make the popp 004001 wired.

https://www.robbshop.nl/manufacturers/popp/popp-stroomadapter-voor-rookmelder-met-binnensirenefunctie

Yeah. You should also be able to power it with a similarly spec’d 6W 12 VDC adapter. Here’s one that’s half the price 7.50 EUR on Amazon.

Or an 8W for even less.

Hi guys - any new developments on the smoke detector side?
what’s recommended at the moment?

I still CANNOT recommend the POPP 4001 detectors! On mine I removed the zwave boards and use them now only as simple single smoke detectors. With zwave the expensive lithium 9V batteries last only 9 months! I hope now this is much longer, but I loose all of the communication capabilities for which I bought them :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

That doesn’t sound good :frowning:
Are there any alternatives for “smart” smoke detectors?

I’d like to integrate them in OH, but I still didn’t find anything that seems to be worth it.

Use kiddie smoke detectors they are wired though and there is kiddie module that has dry contacts for fire notifications