Which Zigbee Dongle to use?

like this one? LINK

I can’t recommend, but can share my personal experience.
I’m using the Nortek HUSBZB-1on a Raspi 3, which provides Zigbee & ZWave in one stick. Works perfectly for me. For Zigbee it has an Ember EM35x Coordinator inside.
Best,
Jens

Yes. Just one point about these devices - they do not use standard VID/PID codes in the USB chip. What this means is that you may have problems getting a driver on a Mac or Windows. It will be fine under Linux and I think there are instructions in the binding doc on how to make it work in Linux, but it’s more problematic on Windows and Mac as the drivers are signed.

Generally, this is a good option, used by a lot of people here. The only problem I know of is that it doesn’t have any way to upgrade the firmware, and as it’s quite old it could have issues in future with new devices. I think the firmware included should support ZB3.0 devices, but I’m not 100% sure off the top of my head.

ZB3.0 works fine on the Nortek

@chris: Thx! Would want to run it under Openhabian on the Raspi.

I’m not 100% sure - if I remember correctly, the Nortek uses NCP version 5.8 and there were some issues with R21 compliance around this version that could be an issue. Like most of these sort of bugs, it probably won’t impact most people, but I guess my point is that it’s now quite old firmware and there’s no way to update it.

Yes, I think it should be fine.

Yes like the one you linked. I have it running on a RP3b and it was plug and play :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to all for the super fast response! Will report if it works :wink:

any idea if this would work with both zwave2mqtt or zigbee2mqtt?

wondering if i could get just 1 module for both formats and have it work with both zigbee2mqtt as well as zwave2mqtt or if it would only work with one or the other.

ZWave and Zigbee operate on different radio frequencies. You will need 2 dongles.

There are devices that have both Z-Wave and Zigbee, such as the Nortek HUSBZB-1 (US only).

1 Like

It will not work with ZigBee2Mqtt since that doesn’t support Silabs dongles (at this point anyway).

1 Like

That’s the one in particular i was wondering if you could run both zigbee/zwave2mqtt with 1 dongle

FWIW, I use the Elelabs Zigbee shield. It has an Ember chip and plugs right onto the IO pins of the Raspi and fits inside the standard enclosure. For the Raspi 4 I did have to google a bit to find out the right port settings, as that has changed.

Continuing the discussion from Which Zigbee Dongle to use?:

Hi 5iver, is there a dongle wich contains Zigbee and Zwave for EU.

soory i did not go over all the posts here maybe i am double posting but do watch this
this is the chepest way to get zigbee working if you have a PI

i can say its working great and it can be scaled by only adding another CC2531 dongle

2 Likes

No - there is nothing available.

Just to note that this device is no longer supported by TI and there will not be any firmware updates which may reduce support for some devices that require more modern key exchange mechanisms required by ZigBee R21 and newer. I found a number of bugs in the firmware and TI have stated they will not be fixed.

I know a lot of people use this as it is quite cheap, and it generally works fine, but just keep this in mind…

mm i did not get to the point that something is not working… but all my zigbee`s are xiaomi
so maybe thay work really good but other vaderos not… i will keep that in mind

but if you go by the approch of using only the ones that are covered by the Z2M team i think you are fine
but only time will tell :slight_smile:

The device works fine .- my point was just that the firmware is now old and it may not work for some newer devices.

Again, the firmware is no longer supported by the manufacturer - Z2M is not the manufacturer and they will not be fixing bugs in the TI firmware I’m sure. This means that they are not fixing bugs in the dongle firmware.