Why I can't open OpenHAB on a Windows 10 webbrowser, but in Debian 12 it work?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: arm64/8GB RAM/128GB storage (Raspberry Pi5 8GB Ram)
      → Gnome 43.9
    • OH running in docker-container
    • openHAB version: 4.1.1

Because I am a beginner and don’t understand well how to install things I followed this tutorial to install OpenHAB on a Portainer in Docker container (Raspberry Pi5). I followed the tutorial until Then you should be able to login to your openhab with YourIP:8080 (it’s the last thing in Installing OpenHAB3 in docker/portainer:). But I installed the latest version OpenHAB 4(not 3) and don’t installed the other container like Grafana, NodeRed and InfluxDB.
The Problem I get is that I can’t open the Website on my Windows 10 PC with http IPadress(192.1…) :Port(8080) and when I try to open the Website on my Pi in the Cromium Browser with the same Port and IP adress I can open the website and all things work perfect. I don’t even get a screen on Windows 10 only thing from the browser is “the website is not available”. A similar topic to this problem I can’t find.

How do I fix this Problem so that I can open OpenHAB webbrowser on Windows 10 (64-bit)?
What I must do for it and where?
The logs on Portainer .io don’t show any error and the last line is Launching the openHAB runtime....

If you don’t understand these things I cannot recommend following those instructions. Adding Docker and Portainer is going to increase the amount of stuff you need to know and learn, not decrease it.

The simplest would be to either use openHABian (openHABian | openHAB) or install it straight onto Linux (openHAB on Linux | openHAB) using apt.

IMO, trying to get anything working with Docker and Portainer if you don’t know what you are doing is going to be an exercise in frustration and futility.

That tutorial was written over three years ago. OH 3 was the version available then.

If it works from another machine but not the Windows machine there are two possible sources of the problem:

1. if the Pi where you were successful is the same machine where OH is running there may be something blocking access to OH from outside that machine
  2. if the Pi where you were successful not the same machine where OH is running there is something on your Windows machine blocking access to OH

In both cases the problem lies outside of openHAB itself and it has to do with how you set it up. Maybe a firewall, maybe Portainer settings? :man_shrugging: This is a non-standard installation so the amoutn of help we can provide is limited.

1 Like
  1. if the Pi where you were successful is the same machine where OH is running there may be something blocking access to OH from outside that machine

That was the problem in my case, because the firewall from the raspberry pi have blocked the port for public access.

For the people who will have the same problem as I had have. The Problem was the firewall on my raspberry pi. You need to add the port to the firewall(pulbic) that you can have access to that port from outside like on Windows or smartphone browser.

Code for Firewalld and port 8080 permanent (in Terminal):

sudo firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-port=8080/tcp