WLed: A binding for controlling LED strips and strings from an opensource esp8266 project

Hi!
openHAB 3.1.0
Build #2116
WLED 0.11.1
//-----

1. channel:syncReceive
    always on, I can’t turn it off. Not that it matters to me, I just wanted to know what I’m doing wrong?
    Perhaps from the side of WLED you need any settings?
  2. presetDuration and channel:transformTime
    don’t work for me, time doesn’t change.
  3. Is it possible to save the preset number that will be applied after rebooting the next controller,
    so that this can be done from the OpenHAB side, and not from the WLED side?
  4. Is there an option to find out if the led controller is online or offline?
    Or is it just to use network binding?
    Thank you for doing this!
    PS Unfortunately, there is no time to try segments and leave feedback, but I hope to do so soon.
  1. It may be a firmware bug as the binding sends the specified API command, test to see if it works in firmware 0.10.2 for you. Also try sending the API command from any web browser to confirm if the control responds to the documented command. If it is a firmware issue it should be raise on the WLED projects webpage and forum and not here.
  2. I have seen what I believe is a bug in the firmware cause this. It happens when you send a command to use a time that is greater then the maximum time the API specifies as allowable. To fix you need to factory reset the firmware and then make sure you do not send times greater then what the API allows. Earlier firmwares allowed longer times to be entered so this needs to be looked at by WLED project as it breaks even if the longer time is entered into the GUI of their control panel.
  3. I am not sure I understand what you are asking. But this sounds like a firmware support question, see their forum for asking questions about the firmware.
  4. The binding should change things to OFFLINE and ONLINE based on if the binding can reach the device, the binding has a poll time that can be adjusted and each poll time the binding contacts and checks the WLED is reachable.

If you have problems, I would recommend testing with 0.10.2 as I have not tried the newer firmware’s as I did not want to trial a firmware with massive core changes in the middle of Christmas when I need the lights working. I should get some time soon to do some testing.

I can confirm that the binding changes things to offline if it can’t reach them - I am running v0.11.0

3). You could possibly do this in rule by saving the preset to a slave item, I’m just not sure what event you would try to use to detect the controller being rebooted (quite possible the thing won’t go offline as it reboots so quickly).

Config - Led preferences →
Is it possible to change this setting from openHAB, not in the current version, but in general, does api allow this?

I’ll take a look at this!
@matt1 Thanks for your feedback!

Anyone else having the problem that the brightness slider in openhab as well as commands in rules change master brightness AND individual color brightness at the same time?
Wierd thing is: through Google assistant brightness control works as expected although it is running via openhab cloud

I think i found the issue. If a command is sent in hsb the hex color is calculated with the brightness slider taken into consideration. But afterwards it adds the brightness slider to the master brightness also. I found this in WLedHandler.java:

primaryColor = (HSBType) command;
masterBrightness255 = primaryColor.getBrightness().toBigDecimal().multiply(BIG_DECIMAL_2_55);

and then:

sendGetRequest("/win&TT=1000&FX=0&CY=0&CL=" + createColorHex(primaryColor) + “&A=”
+ masterBrightness255);

I’m still thinking about a way around this. maybe a function createColorHexWithoutBrightness so color is calculated with hue and saturation only and master brightness does the rest down the line?

For my rules I’m now using percentType instead as a workaround.

@matt1 is there a way to get the Jar for OH 2.5? The Links are dead, the Repo is gone… And I will not update to 3.x in the next few weeks…

Cheers

I had it set to private and just change it for you. In Version 3 your best to use the merged copy so only use this for V2.x

Precompiled JAR zipped up found in the releases section.

Skinah/wled: An openHAB binding for the esp8266 WLed project. (github.com)

Hello

I hope I can get some help using the presets channel
I configured some presets on my WLED controller: p1,p2,p3,p4
In OH3 I can use the presets item, it works. But I want to call my four presets out of a “List Card” widget with four entrys (p1, p2,…)
I have been trying for hours without success. I think I am looking in the wrong place, because i´m a newbee in OH. Could someone help me how to configure the widget?

thx
Thomas

I’m not sure I understand what your wanting to do, can you provide some pictures or more info?

Try looking and searching for “State Description” metadata. If you want to define your own options and labels, then you use the options field.

Hi
Sorry for my poor english…
Here some screenshots

This works. I can activate my presets, defined in the WLED GUI.

But I want to use a List card in OH pages:

I have no idea how to configure the list card to call a preset:

Thomas

Your doing it right just try the action command as just 2 if you want preset 3.

My previous reply is how you would change the preset 3 to have another name of your choosing. You would select the command which is just a number and then give it a label.

Probably the best way for you to work this out is to look at the event.log and see what commands are sent. See the developer sidebar feature where you can filter or watch the events in real-time.

Great!
“2” instead of “Preset 2” was the solution. So simple…

Probably the best way for you to work this out is to look at the event.log and see what commands are sent. See the developer sidebar feature where you can filter or watch the events in real-time.

Great hint!

Thank you very much!

Does anyone have any feature requests or bugs to report for this binding? Anyone using the latest firmware that can report how it is working? I know the preset cycle feature was changed in the latest firmware so I plan on doing an update to the binding soon for this change.

Hey Matt1,
I don’t know if its possible, but it would be awesome if I could use the “Segment brightness”, “Reverse/Flip Segment direction” and “Set segment grouping” calls from the API Documentation.
Im new to your Binding and struggling on dimming a single segment (have multiple rooms and want to turn them on/off and dimm them separatly.

Can you explain the use case for this please? I like to understand how someone is planning on using it as it can help to write the docs, the labels etc…

I should have something ready to trial in the next few days.

New Build ready for anyone wanting to help test the next lot of changes that are waiting to be merged:

• Tertiary (third) Colour channels
  • JSON api used
  • Better support for segments @Olymp you may like to try this out
  • Playlists supported in the Preset channel.
  • More than 16 presets supported.
  • Named presets now supported @Bubbleman this one may interest you.
  • Mirror channel
  • Reverse channel
  • Binding auto reconfigures to match your firmware, so all firmwares newer than V0.8.4 are supported and no need to upgrade to match a version the binding prefers. V0.13.0-beta4 is what I am testing with.

To use it, just unzip it to your addons folder after you uninstall the built in binding. Then delete and re-add yours things to see the new channels. You can also install it from the new marketplace if you’re using the latest milestone of openHAB.

Index of /openhab/wled/ (pcmus.com)

This newer build now uses the JSON api so it has a HUGE amount of changes under the hood.

These are now implemented in this newer Beta build.

There are some Effects that are narrow. If you can Group 2 or 3 Pixels the effect gets wider.
I just looked in the API Documentation before requesting features that aren’t supported by the API and saw it. So I just thought it could be useful.

And thank you for the fast coding. I think I can get time to test the Segment features in the next Week.

Done, the binding in the marketplace now has the grouping, spacing, playlists and Live Override channels added. @SpaceGlider was wanting the LOR command.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you!