Works With Nest - Deprecating on August 31, 2019

I doubt it. I think it requires generating a new pin which you can’t do any more.

Do you have the access token, productid and productsecret?
If so Did you try manually creating the thing file.
Don’t know what you needed for 1.x

Got it - didn’t remember that I would need a different PIN.

A long time ago I tried the 2.x binding and ran into bugs so I went back to the 1.x. I’m wondering if I already have a PIN generated for this. I tried logging in to look here: https://developers.nest.com/

It wanted me to connect my NEST account to Google. I declined because I think this is what others describe as “coverting” their Nest account to a Google account, breaking the current functionality.

Any idea if it is possible to log in somewhere to view previously generated credentials?

The pin is a one time used password of sorts which gets used to generate the true secret key that is actually used to authenticate with the best service.

I don’t know if it’s possible to just find and copy it over to the new binding or where it goes.

No, they turned that capability off.

should be able to use the nest.cfg items in the 2.x thing file as follows:

Bridge nest:account:whatevername "Smoke Alarms" @ "Nest" [ productId="1.xproductid", productSecret="1.xproductsecret", accessToken="1.xpincode" ] {}

Then discover your items and manually add them in after

Looking at the 1.x binding i’m sure the pin code is actually the access token just labelled wrong, if not then if you go to the thing in paperui it has a field for pincode, hopefully it works.
Or does the v1 binding store an access_Token somewhere that can be discovered manually?

It’s not because you have to regenerate the pin after it’s first use. The access token gets saved to a properties files saved to a .java folder somewhere (I run in Docker so I don’t know where the folder gets created normally, maybe ~openhab.java). But I don’t know if the access token is encoded in some way before it get’s saved to that properties file. You would have to look at the source code.

If you can get that access token then it will work. normally starts with c.loadsofrandomcharacters if it helps, the c. I believe is always present

@tommycw10 see if you can search your file system for text starting with c. To find the access token

Found it!

/srv/openhab2-userdata/.java/.userPrefs

Before I give it a shot, should I shutdown my 1.x binding? I’m a little nervous that I do something wrong and it invalidates my token etc…

They should work together just to test, just means multiple connections going to the api.
Took my nest v2 a while to initialise so give it a bit.

If the nest thing comes online and you can discover your structures and devices your good to go.

Don’t delete v1 until your sure though and make a BACKUP of your system so you can restore if needed. Can also make a backup of that file and your cfg aswell

Success!

I installed the 2.x binding along side my 1.x, created a new thing in paperUI. I put in my client-id, client-Secret and pin codes in the config, and In the “advanced” settings in the config had a place to put my access token. I put them all in, saved and immediately had a Structure and my lone Nest device show up in my inbox. All are marked ONLINE so I think I’m all good! Just have to go change over my linked items to the new channels and I should be good.

Thanks all for the help!

3 Likes

Just don’t lose them tokens :+1:

Multiple backups stored on different systems. Preferably some off-site like Dropbox.

Hi guys,

I just bought a Nest Thermostat 3rd generation, because the OpenHAB binding for my old Toon themostat didn’t work anymore. Now I found out that interfacing the Nest Thermostat isn’t possible anymore from OpenHAB :frowning:.

I find it kind of difficult to get a glance of the big picture. Do I understand it correctly that Nest closed their API? Is there any chance that we can use the Nest Thermostat with OpenHab again in the future? :frowning:

Kind regards,

Bastiaan

Update:

For the people who have just tuned in like me, for as far as I understand now, the Nest API is closed for new customers and is currently being integrating into Google’s API. This new API will be available for personal projects late 2020. It’s called “Device Access for Individuals”, and you can apply here:

Once the new API is available we could start working on a new OpenHAB binding…? Anyone else interested in setting up a bounty and gather some budget. So that once the API is available… we can maybe have a dev working on it?

They would not consider OpenHAB as personal. It would most certainly violate their terms of service for the API.

On what grounds is this information based?

As down as I am on Google/Nest in this regard, I would expect that something along the same lines as how the Works with Nest will work with the personal API they announced. The difference between “personal” and “commercial” in these APIs usually boils down to how many users you have. I would expect the personal API to be locked down to one to 20 users. And each individual user will have to go on to the web site, create an account, and register for an API key, just like they did for WWN.

openHAB, or more specifically myopenhab.org will never be considered “personal” and we will never be allowed to use the Works with Google API. But each openHAB user should be able to establish their own individual connection through the personal API without problem.

2 Likes

You can only hope until somebody tries. :frowning:

There are tons of precedent both within Google and from other service providers. You need look no farther than the weather bindings or the way that Works with Nest worked. If Google creates a personal API they can’t really prevent us from creating a binding to use it. They can prevent us from building it into our myopenhab.org service. They can limit how many computers or users are able to connect to it. But they cannot prevent a user from creating their own API key and interacting with it in what ever way they choose, be it from a browser, the command line using curl, a Python script, or an openHAB bindings.

It’d be pointless otherwise.

4 Likes

Off topic but I think on passion here is for local data and privacy and maybe the tide is turning just a bit. It’s interesting to see former Googler launching products that fit this niche like security camera systems. For me it’s a lot like local food. Not only do you get a hobby and privacy but you get to see others at their best! Thanks for all of you contributions to the community

If you go to the link that @defcon8 posted, there is an application for commercial developers.