WTRFID Mini Keypad RFID/Z-Wave

I confess that I am outside my area of expertise, but instead of tweaking the z-wave binding maybe it could be possible to create a separate Zipato user-code binding that specifically solves this problem and the z-wave binding can remain untouched.

That would be a lot of work, but certainly do-able.

I went the FHEM route for registering RFID tags and can confirm it works as per instructions above from @DocFraggle . Did the install via apt-get on my pi rather than compile it locally as per the FHEM install instructions on their web page and had to install libcrypt-rijndael-perl as it gave errors. If you do it this way, make sure you remove the startup file at /etc/init.d/fhem.

Ill keep it around for now so that i can add other tags from time to time but it would be nice to have a method in openhab to set these, even though its not standard. Perhaps an advanced user binding or backdoor mode that allows you to set properties directly on zwave devices which pass right through without validation.

I’m not completely sure what you’re referring to here, but the RFID readers are supported in the development version of the binding, so it should work ok. I don’t personally have one to test against, but it has been tested.

Ah ok, so you can set the non ASCII RFID tags using the dev version? I haven’t looked how to build / install the dev version but will keep that in mind.

Correct. Only the development version includes the security classes.

@chris, @DocFraggle

I just bought this tinny keypad and have a few questions about the functionalities.
Is there a way to notify the controller:

1. with the user ID which triggered Home/Away change?
  2. if the incorrect code was entered and rejected?

For me, these functions seem basic, but from what I see now - there’s only one channel for Home/Away (6/5) state communication.

Thanks

@chris, @bryzi
Hi,

I’m new in openhab and I’ve ordered the keypad.

I read all the posts in here but anyways I’m confused now.
So please tell me, is the tag adding working with the newest version now or do I need some special dev bindings?

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

@chris and all

I am considering to buy this keypad but honestly I could not find out from the posts in this forum or other sources, if I can register an RFID tag in the reader with openhab.

@chris, I understand that the dev version of the zwave binding should be able to do this? But your comment is from July 2017 - more than two years old. So I would assume that this functionality has in the meanwhile merged into the most recent OH version (2.4)?

I would really appreciate to get a short summary on the current status of adding RFID tags to the reader with the help of OH.

Thanks to all who can bring some light into this. :slight_smile:

I am not familiar with the RFID devices so can’t really comment on them specifically. However, the binding now supports security so based on the comments in this thread it should work fine with this device.

Thanks, @chris, for your fast response! Understand. Let’s see if I can get more clarity from the individuals using this RFID device.

@DocFraggle, @casperleenheer and @bryzi: You were discussing in 2017 how to register RFID tags to the WTRFID. You were using a workaround with FHEM.

Can you quickly let me know if this workaround (involving FHEM or any other) is still required to register RFID tags to WTRFID or if this is possible with OpenHab in the meanwhile (v2.4).

Many thanks for giving me an answer on this, since I am considering to buy the WTRFID.

Bodo

Hi Bodo,

I didn’t try registering new RFIDs lately… I guess you will still have to use the workaround

Christian

1 Like

Oh… ok.
Is there potentially any easier way to register an RFID key than using FHEM?

If the device complies with the standards, then I think there should be no problem. The issue here is that the device used a non-standard system. Maybe the standards have changed now - I’ve not checked - in which case it may be possible to add it to the binding.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks to you all. I have ordered WTRFID. Let’s see how far I come. Maybe I will use the keypad only if it gets to complicated to register a RFID tag.

@chris I fully understand and support, that you do not want to implement something which is not based on the standard. My interpretation (or my hoping :wink: of the 2017/18 discussion in this thread was, that registration is possible with the help of the at that time new security classes…

Lets see how things develop…

Thanks, Bodo.

Hi Bodo,
can you pleas send an update if you found a way for register RFID tags?!
I also have a WTRFID and like to use it with OpenHAB.
Thanks, Harry

1 Like

Let’s see if I am patient enough to fiddle it out… But if I find a way, I will definitely share it here.

Yesterday I put WTRFID in production with OH 2.4. It took some time, but at the end I was happily surprised, that I made it. For sure it was a rocky road, but it is worth it. Now everything works like charm.

My biggest concern, to install another automation system to make WTRFID work with OH, became true. I had to install FHEM to register RFID tags. But thanks to the excellent documentation provided by @DocFraggle (many thanks for this), this was a very quick and convenient solution.

At the end it took me in total 6 hours of work to get WTRFID working, of which approx. 4 hours were about device setup in OH and struggling with registering user codes (!) and only 2 hours for installing FHEM, registering RFID chips, and some basic coding in OH.

Here is what I did, documented for others who want to take the same path:

1. Z-Wave include (via Openhab)
Before I had the device fully working in OH it took me at least 30 min and multiple includes/excludes. Issue was, that the devices was not fully recognized by OH (“unknown type”. I managed this by going really close to the Zwave-Controller and waking WTRFID up (via burglar switch) at least four to five times after inclusion.

2. Registering User Codes (via habmin, PaperUI doesn’t support it)
Initially I thought this would be a straight forward task, but it was not!
I was simply trying to add e.g 1234 for a UserID with label “1” or “test”.
Nothing happened after punching HOME+1234+ENTER.

So I was visiting the zwave debug log. It took a while before I could extract from the log what happened. I found a line which reads “COMMAND_CLASS_USER_CODE, value = 31 32 33 34 00 00 00 00 00 00”. And here you see, what the device (or wave binding?) makes out of the 1234.
These are the ASCII codes for 1, 2, 3, and 4: (31, 32, 33, 34). I was totally unaware, that it is required to enter the ASCII values into the user code field in habmin.
So I copied the “31 32 33 34 00 00 00 00 00 00” into the corresponding user code field in habmin and bam, it worked.

The wave debug log also showed the ID of a RFID tag I presented to the WTRFID. I copied that code to a user code field in habmin, but without luck. So I decided to take the workaround with FHEM.

3. Registering RFID-Tags with the help of FHEM
Follow the instructions (WTRFID Mini Keypad RFID/Z-Wave) given by @DocFraggle. This worked for me quite well. I did it on MacOS and had one issue in the beginning, that my zwave controller (USB Stick) was not recognized. After installing perl-Crypt-Rijndael the dongle was found and I could proceed.
Once the RFID tags were registered I returned to OH, while leaving FHEM offline for later registration activities.

4. Validating in OH, that RFID codes are available
In habmin I visited the user code section of the device and found there my three registered tags as user codes. I defined an item with a link to the access control channel and tested the whole thing.

Works pretty well now with user codes and with RFID.

Hope, this helps some others as well.

1 Like

Hi @chris, I am not sure if this is an indication, that something is wrong, but pls take a look at this:

This states, that Security is not being used… whatever that means… :wink:

It means that the link is unsecured - there is no security in use. This basically means that the device was not securely included and it is easier for people to hack this device if they were so included.

It is highly recommended to use a secure link for locks.