Thank for your suggestions.
Actually, after more investigation today, I narrowed down the problem to the fact that the hub is not compatible with the mainline China setting on the App. When China is selected the Hub is fails to initiate. All other regions the hub communicates with the App okay.
Catch 22 as only mainline China locale setting is the only one where the dev mode can be enable and the only one where my hub does not connect.
I can get the token from your suggestions, but cannot get in dev mode in order to follow the step in the Xiaomi binding page.
2. Go to the "..." menu on the top right corner and click "About"
3. Tap the version number "Plug-in version : 2.XX.X" at the bottom of the screen repeatedly until you enable developer mode
4. You should now have 2 extra options listed: `wireless communication protocol` and `hub info`
5. Choose `wireless communication protocol`
6. Tap the toggle switch to enable WiFi functions. Note down the developer key (aka password), something like: 91bg8zfkf9vd6uw7
HAS ANYONE GOT A SOLUTION TO THIS DILEMA?