Your setup for a wall mounted tablet

So,
I tested a bit the last weeks and would like to share my solution.

what I needed:

• Hardcover of an iPad
  • iPad
  • deconz stick and binding
  • Aqara motion sensor
  • SendNotification

The realization is by a simple rule:

rule "Motion Wake Up iPad"
    when 
        Item ZigMotion_M2_Sensor changed to ON 
    then
        {
            logInfo("notifications","WakeUp iPad via OpenhabCloud")
            sendNotification("name@provider.de","Wallmount Tablet an")
        }
end

the iPad I put into guided mode with entering sleep mode 2 minutes. after this time the iPad only wakes up, if motion is detected. I like the solution. Like this I have to charge the device once per week.

If you have setup questions for the iPad feel free to get in touch.

Kindly,
Woogi

1 Like

looks great … can you share your widget jsons?
I really wish habpanel become more userfriendly tool … :slight_smile:

I only used standard. no coding in my panel.

i was replying to @nathantfry :wink:

sorry, my bad :smiley:

I use the New Pride CSS from @pmpkk, see here, I also started with his matrix theme widgets, see here

My mostly complete widget versions are attached, this is my home, downstairs and weather. I’ve not completed my other screens yet. I ended up creating quite a few virtual items to facilitate the type of information I wanted to display. Yes, it takes far more time than it should but this should give you a good starting point.

home.widget.json (9.5 KB)
downstairs.widget.json (21.3 KB)
weather.widget.json (10.4 KB)

FYI - I’m now also using HABPanel Viewer Kiosk inbetween HABPanel and Fully Kiosk Browser, which is now in single app mode. I find the tablet stays repsonsive rather than freezing, it does add a bit of further lag when you first interact with it after some time but once that’s done it’s all good.

thank you @nathantfry what editor you use to convert it from/to one liner?

I must say, I’m formed website developer, but … i became kind of lazy and this habpanel jsons are killing me :slight_smile:

Import directly into HABPanel and edit from there.

I like your usb charger (allmost hidden)!
Can you give any link for this charging cable? Or any closeup pic of the cable?
I have problem that my tablet has a frame … but usb charger sticks out and is ugly :frowning:

I found it on AliExpress, here, there are a few types around.

Excellent! Thank you, have tried to find but missed the searching word :frowning: Now found even the micro usb one :slight_smile:

have a look at this example…
https://christian-bleser.de/raspberry-pi-touch-display-wandeinbau/
i am doing the same at the moment because i fully renovating my appartment.

Hi Everyone !

Just installed mine. A 11.6 1080p touch screen bought on Alibaba, with a Raspi 3B+.

I’m not 100% happy with the reactivity, but working on it.

1 Like

Is it because rpi3b+ is not fast enough?

I would say so - seems that raspberry in general is very bad with Javascript, and as HabPanel is full JS/HTML5… very bad performances ! So i found another solution with TigerVNC and a remote browser on my docker hosts - which I’m very happy with !

Where is the Rpi installed?

That vidabox costs A$190? It certainly looks nice though

1 Like

Question, are you guys adapting the new OH3 UI or staying with habpanel for now?

Also: any recommendations for cheap android tablet, ideally with wireless charging? Fire Tablet seems to be popular here, the HD 8 plus also seems to have QI charging. But … ads?

2 Likes

Which 10" tablet do you guys recommend for a wall mounted tablet ?

I had two Huawei tablets wall mounted two years. Scrapped the idea and threw them away when I realised the batteries were extremely swollen. I am not considering putting up anything with batteries on my walls again. If there were cheap and good POE powered tablets I’d be willing to try it again. Haven’t found any though…