Your setup for a wall mounted tablet

Would you be willing to share you design? i’m working on doing a horizontal setup and the only design i have found is for a vertical set up using gravity. All the design ideas i’ve had are too big for my 3d printer.

So just a year or so later I got it up on the wall…

Now onto the software too, back in a year I guess?

9 Likes

That is absolutely fantastic looking, nice work.

1 Like

Nice work! Have a look at mine :wink:

Behind the wall:

Setup:
acustic panels: Fibrotech
Client: Odroid C4 running Andorid Pie with Openhab App.
Display: Waveshare 10.1

5 Likes

Seems like we have found the definition of great minds think alike :wink:

I had to deploy some special tactics to make it work though. Had to run 2 flat usb-c cables as well as the thinnest flat HDMI cable I’ve ever seen behind the wood panel and then up into a cupboard as there is a thin wall and then the refrigerator on the other side…

Now I’m just debating what hw to put in there. Intel NUC would probably be preferable for performance and also running any software as screensaver. Rpi seems to slow if not running Android and running Android limits the possibilities a bit…

I am using Android 9 on an Odroid C4. Kiosk Mode is supported and also there are possibilities to control the device with the android debug bridge binding through the openHAB server.
Good performance, small size and low energy consumption.
By now I am using the openHAB app as client software.
I might test fully kiosk browser or the habpanel viewer app as alternative some day, which gives you more possibilities to control your Client.

What worries me is the performance. I want to run the OH Main UI smoothly… Raspberry Pi 4 on Raspbian I don’t have much hope for. Wonder if Rpi4 or an Odroid n2+ would handle it running on Android.

There’s a thread here suggesting that it’s a whole lot smoother on Android.

Would love to avoid buying stuff for € 200 only to end up buying an Intel NUC anyway…

Hi John,
It hasn been more than a year now. How do you evaluate that solution? Battery still well conditioned?
How do you controll battery percentage and sonoff switch interaction (how sonoff knows when to start)?

Hi!
Haven’t really tested the batteries but as far as I can see they seem to be working alright, i.e if I remove power they still last for a couple of hours and no swelling.
Lately I have been testing Fully Kiosk Browser on one tablet, am using HABPanel on another and they both can report battery status to OpenHAB.

I am also searching for a new tablet.
Currently I’m using a Samsung galaxy tab pro with lineage os android 10. But the performance is too bad to use it. It is frustrating and not helpful.

I have now the same display here and a raspberry pi 4 on the back of it.
I tested konstaKANG Android on it and it works good enough. How did you manage to turn the display on/off without the sleep mode? Even with the full remote api the display just turns black, but the backlight is on…

The android I am using is turning the screensaver on (digital clock). I don’t have problem with this.

What app are you using to display your OpenHAB UI?
Do you use the adb-Binding?

There you maybe have the have the possibility to turn the sceen on:

awake-state OnOff Awake state value.
wake-lock Number Power wake lock value
screen-state Switch Screen power state

Also you could try to send a “KEYCODE_REFRESH” to your andorid device?

BR

1 Like

Currently I use the “Fully Kiosk Browser” app for Android. It also has a rest api to turn the screen off, but it won’t turn completely off. And it seems that later the power saving from the screen takes action and turns it to a deep sleep.

I would like to avoid Android completely, but I don’t have an idea to achieve the same solution as on my android tablet with the fully kiosk browser. (turn screen off after seconds, turn screen on after movement via camera)

I had this issue as well with KostaKang Android. It was a known issue that the LCD would keep on and only turn the image black. Couldn’t ever fix it. The supposed fixes didn’t work.

In the end my RPI4 broke so I got a Rock 5 instead. Runs android very very very very much smoother and the Android release for that one turns my screen off, so it’s 100% an issue with KostaKang android image for RPI.

1 Like

My main issue with those tablets on the wall is the battery. I had a Samsung S6? S8? whatever? on my wall for a few years, always connected to an USB power source, and then had to take it down as I discovered the battery swelling up. I was afraid of creating a fire hazard there…

Is there a tablet or other device which does not include a battery or has a removable one? I would prefer an Android solution so the filesystem does not die if someone were to just switch it off instead of going through a shutdown session. Basically, something which behaves like an appliance, just plug it in, it works, plug it off, and it does not crash itself :slight_smile:

I got a wall mounted Lenovo tablet (in a picture frame and a adapter that fits in a standard wall electricity box). Also always on, but the new Android versions have a battery protection option (stops charging at 60%). Seems to work, two years old now and battery seems fine so far.

Did try to run the previous tablet (an Asus) without a battery. With some tinkering (adding a resistor and a capacitor on the battery connection) it did work, but the software disabled the tablet after a day anyway. Google search told this could be fixed by rooting and changing some setting, but I stopped my quest there.

My biggest issue is keeping the ui running. Depending a bit on versions but a week seems to be the average before it freezes. Think I need something that just refreshed the webpage every night to prevent this but haven’t found a good option for that).

1 Like

Thank you, this is interesting, this is something I’ll have to investigate… Would be nice if I could tell Android to start charging when below X % and stop when above Y (didn’t know 60 was available, my samsung S10 mobile phone has 85% )

I had the same problem, now I use the Fully Kiosk Browser, where you can set it to reload the page after a while.

Looked at that but couldn’t find if privacy is protected or it shares data. Did you investigate?

Well, I can’t choose the percentage. It’s on or off. I assume the manufacturer chooses the best percentage for the type of battery that’s inside.