Your setup for a wall mounted tablet

That vidabox costs A$190? It certainly looks nice though

1 Like

Question, are you guys adapting the new OH3 UI or staying with habpanel for now?

Also: any recommendations for cheap android tablet, ideally with wireless charging? Fire Tablet seems to be popular here, the HD 8 plus also seems to have QI charging. But ā€¦ ads?

2 Likes

Which 10" tablet do you guys recommend for a wall mounted tablet ?

I had two Huawei tablets wall mounted two years. Scrapped the idea and threw them away when I realised the batteries were extremely swollen. I am not considering putting up anything with batteries on my walls again. If there were cheap and good POE powered tablets Iā€™d be willing to try it again. Havenā€™t found any thoughā€¦

To prevent swelling I have placed sonoff switches on my chargers and keep the charging on the tablets between 50-95%.

At the moment, Iā€™m building a setup, based on raspberryPI.
This together with a sunfounder 10" touchscreen.

Youā€™ll need a bit more place in the wall. All depends on your setup of course.

Just pitty they donā€™t provide a frame to build in. Iā€™m printing a 3D frame now, not idealā€¦

But since itā€™s a linux machine, Iā€™m getting a bit more flexibility what to do with it. fe remote desktop to test/change/ā€¦
Iā€™ve got also a motion sensor in the same room, and the idea is that I activate the screen when somebody is in front of itā€¦

A few years back I used an old Nexus 7 as a wall tablet which worked fine for Habpanel as long as I didnā€™t use it to render heavy graphs with too many datapoints using javascript.

Now though when I am again thinking of putting up one/multiple tablets I am thinking of running the new main UI. However, I have a Galaxy Tab A(?) which seems to give quite poor performance. What worries me is that even my Galaxy S10 is not perfectly smooth in the new UI which means that more expensive tablets probably are not either.

Itā€™s a shame because I think it has a lot of potential to be a unified UI with good customization options. However, and it is a big one, for it to be a unified UI it needs to run smoothly on computers, tablets and phones. Until then I donā€™t see the end game.

I think for most of us, having a laggy tablet on the wall is not an option. And neither is mounting a whole computer and screen.

1 Like

I did that as well! Working awesome - only their firmware was a problem on the first board: I couldnā€™t change turn off after 1 minute no signal. They sent a new one for free.

Setup: rPi4 + sunfounder 10.1" touchscreen - 12v power supply on the other side of the wall

3 Likes

Where is the rpi4 located?

Itā€™s fixed on the back of the screen:

http://wiki.sunfounder.cc/index.php?title=10.1_Inch_Touch_Screen_for_Raspberry_Pi

Ahh thats pretty awesome :muscle:

Very nice build in !!!
How did you build it in the wall? You donā€™t have any pictures of that by any change? I 3D-printed the mouting brackets, but didnā€™t found the time (and motivation) to build it in the wallā€¦

Beside, what are you using as output on your screen? HABpanel, or the new UI? Iā€™m in a review of the current setup, so Iā€™m open for suggestions. :wink:

Sorry no pics during construction - this thing took me about 40-50 hours :laughing:
Used:

Had to cut the cover a couple of times so the screen fits in - but was afraid I could cut too much so it canā€™t fit the 3d print mount. I think I screwed it onto it.
I can uplaod the *.dwg and *.stl file if you want.

I did the holes so the plaster would fit better.
Iā€™m running HABpanel (never-ending construction site) and I use it everyday minimum twice for my venetian blinds.

2 Likes

I would love to see some video of the responsiveness of the setup.
My problem is that my setup is to laggy (android 4.3.2).
The CCTV feed is in still pictures and the time from press to action is about 5-10 second.

Hey all,

Here is my current tablet setup using OH3 with habpanel in my kitchen. (images taken in JAN)
The frame is simply just a frame from IKEA and a windows tablet installed in it.
I am using orange tree which I have modified with CSS. Each page also has a timer, so it goes back to the home page by itself.
Letters now do display the proper count and not just OFF :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Awesome. That looks really good.
Could you please tell me, what Windows tablet you are using?
I am interested in simply rebuilding your hardware, since it seems to be an easy to accomplish AND good looking solution.

The frame idea is nice, but the really importat question is: What is behind the frame, what kind off wall is it. Where is the power supply.

I have concrete walls and it is not so easy creating big holes to hide things.

2 Likes

Hello!

Finally i got some time to put my iPad onto the wall.
Behind it there is a Power-Supply with an USB-Out fitting for a standard 68 mm hole.

For now i just use homekit as i have no time to dig deep into habpanel.
But i managed to lock/unlock the iPad depending on the presence of persons in the part of the room.
I use a presence sensor for this (part of my knx installation) and some OH rules with scripts to lock/unlock it with activator. It has to be jailbroken of course.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been shopping on Ebay and letting the 3D printer and my glue/sanding/paint skills working hard for a while nowā€¦

Now Iā€™ve posted it, so now I have to finish itā€¦ :slight_smile:

Hey there Belgadon,

Thanks for your message :slight_smile:
Yes it is quite easy (and rather cheap) the frame is 4 euros, I got 2, in case the passepartout gets dirty.

• The tablet:

So, the windows tablet is an ODYS tablet I got at Mediamarkt a few years ago.
Odys Cosmo WIN X9 Gold Edition

Currently it says one left in stock but way overpriced! I paid 100 euros at the time of purchase, perhaps you find a good deal on ebay. The good thing about that tablet is its price VS screen resolution.

• The frame:

Ikea does not produce the exact size I have, but there is a close option:
RIBBA 21x30 cm
This frame has the same inner passepartout size of 12cm x 17cm.
The width is perfect for that tablet. You lose a little on the height. The way I managed to disguise it is : the windows taskbar is hidden and the tablet is a little lower in the frame;)
To finetune it if you wish a little bit of css.

• The power supply and usb cable:

For the power supply I used an old blackberry charger I had lying around. Just make sure the charger you use is of a reputable company of course, but also not too tall once plugged in.
For the cable I used a right angled (both ends) USB cable. Something similar to this:

• Mounting:

On my wall I had a plug and switch, the switch is of course now unused, and the tablet was a nice addition as it hides the switch and plug and makes use of the power behind it.

• For mounting the tablet to the frame:
    I was very lucky, all I had to do was bend the metal parts inside the frame (the same ones you use when placing a picture in) and that got my tablet very securely attached to the frame. I hope this also works with the new frame size.

• For mounting the whole thing to the wall:
    I guess there are a few ways of doing it. Being a renter I had to come up with a very DIY solution where I used 2 brackets which are held on tight by the faceplate of the plug/switch. The frame then attaches to these 2 brackets at the top.
    Although I have not had a problem with that, the ideal solution would be to drill and attach 2 L shape brackets to the wall for supporting the tablet. Be careful where you drill of course.

• Misc:

The screen is always on in my case, I had a complicated setup whereas a sensor would switch it on then send a command etc. but with windows it is not easy to control that and it kept on breaking at each windows update so I gave up on it.
I just made sure to have the night light setting option on, and I use quite a low brightness for the tablet.
My next project is to change the design to mimic what Samsung did with their TheFrame product, and make the image look more like a picture than a screen. But that would at least require a daytime/nighttime screen brightness change, we will seeā€¦

Donā€™t hesitate if you have any further questions.

1 Like