Your setup for a wall mounted tablet

Looks good, close to the wall.

Won’t the magnets affect the tablet?

as I said, no problems since 5 months.

I assume the answer is included in the above comment but, no issues with it slipping when in use?

I tried magnets and found it slid down every now and then. Perhaps I did not use enough / big ones. They were 20mm neodymium magnets.

I found that two strips of velcro works brilliantly and keeps it true.

it sticks actually that good (using the ebay components mentioned above) that I need to pull very hard to release it. sometimes I think I am going to break the tablet while pulling. but usually there is no need to remove it from the wall. at least for me.

1 Like

It’s definitely possible to keep a tablet up with no issues using magnets.

I’m using two of the following type which alledgedly can carry 0.9 kg each. I have superglued the thin plates to the tablet and and used a screw the in the center for each wall mounted magnet. I have to slide it off because pulling feels like the screw is gonna come out of the wall, those are strooong.

Edit: Actually they might even be 7kg each, I think I looked at the wrong specification.

1 Like

would it be possible to use google nest hub max for displaying habpanel?

One of three Habpanels. Samsung Tablet, mounted with a standard silk-case.

2 Likes

Hi, please can you tell me, how you get such small blue widgets with the room description in it?

When i make some dummy widgets or label widgets, the minimum hight is like the big icons on your right side. But your description widgets only have half of the hight.

You can setup it in the dashboard settings. Choose “Row-height” 50%, and so you get smaller lines…

Thanks! That works, i like the design of your tablets with the panels - black an coloured widgets with strong different colours.

1 Like

I have 2 questions:

1.)
Your Light switches are button-widgets, right? How do you get the icon (the lamp from classic icon set) to always stay in yellow (on) color? My icon switches between white (off) and yellow (on).

2.)
Which widgets did you use for switching the panels on the right side? Are this button-widgets too? Because they have different colors, with the dashboard-switch-widget i can´t use different colors.

I do like your colour ideas. The more I stare at mine the more I dislike it. :frowning:
Time for a rethink (again :laughing:)

What’s behind the wall? Could you drill through it and hide the charger behind it? You get rid of the cable that way.
If dry-wall, could you pop a hole this side and drop a cable to the floor and fish it out there?

C

Sometimes I wish we would use dry-wall in Europe / Germany :grin:

1 Like

yes, this is why it is much more expensive to build a house in Europe. In US they are just expandable. :slight_smile:

Sorry for an unitiated question, but where do I access the dashboard settings?

I am using a cheap android tablet, always connected to the power.
The idea of using a sonoff to power on and off is brilliant, I need to do it!

it is attached to the wall through a small vesa mounting plate. It fits nicely, also because the tiles are quite thick (more than 1cm), so they hide the thickness of the mounting.
I like the idea of the magnets!

Am I the only one using basic UI?
I tried HabPanel for long, but eventually there were a lot of small issues: the browser sometimes was exiting full screen, the tablet was turning off, and so on.
Since I use the android app, it works flawlessly.

Initially, it was a bit hard to setup; but then, I think I like the result much more than before: the UI is maybe less impressive, but it is much more actionable. I can easily pilot the entire home, and have a compact view.
Maybe I should give habpanel a new try?

Give it a try but do use HABPanelViewer. It makes it a lot better. You can now interact with the tablet.
For example, if there is no one in the room (no motion for 5 minutes) I tell the screen to dim.
When someone walks in the screen brightens up (much to the delight of guests :nerd_face: )
When no one is home the screen shuts down. When someone comes back, it wakes up again.

Setting up is quite straight forward now. It’s starting to look and feel a bit dated but is still a very good option.

I’m not sure why the Classic UI is still used. I think HABPanel covers it all (except visibility…:frowning:)

C

1 Like

I personally find HABPanelViewer still a bit laggy and does not always render SVGs very weel. I prefer Fully kiosks browser instead. But HAB Panel definitely better than android app, which is best if used with smartphones.
Cheers.

When you say “a bit” you mean a lot :frowning: But that is, AFAIK, a function of HABPanel and not HPV? How can Fully Kiosk (which I used early on) be any quicker? It’s still invoking the browser underneath?

Agree

Habpanel and the viewer needs a fair bit of work. Its far too slow compared to the Basic UI and other UI’s and this really takes the shine off what could be an amazing product. There appears to be very little development on it, at least to my eyes.

The biggest issue is A) its speed which is solved to a degree by using hardware acceleration and B) when you use hardware acceleration the results are less than predictable. - ie it locks up the tablet requiring a reset

This is using a Samsung Tab A 10.5 (latest generation)

Using a browser instead of HPV is about 5x faster for me!