Your setup for a wall mounted tablet

Great, thank you!

@wile.e.coyote what mount did you get for the tablet, i have the same File 7, but cant find any wall mounts that it fits in.

To xsherlock
How do you go to all full screen, in my right upper corner I have to icons like the other pictures do, you have displayed the temperature and time.
How is this done?

That is a feature of the Habpanel you add ?kiosk=on to the URL that you call on the tablet startup.
But you loose the navigation between dashboards then, so that is for the specific case like min when I replace dumb switches around the house

Thx that helped :slight_smile:

@xsherlock
How did you create your status bar, with titel, clock and temperature. ?

@xsherlock
Do you use any standby mode for your displays or are they always turned on?
Thereā€™s no hardware button right? Would it be possible to turn the display back on with a double tap on the screen?

Is there any adaptive brightness setting for the display? I could imagine that the display is too bright during night if not.

Why not turning your tablet on with motion detection through the front cam?

3 Likes

I used this approach with my samsung tablet, but it didnā€™t work during night. The camera needs a specific degree of brightnessā€¦

Iā€™m using a combination of Tasker & Motion Detector on my Nexus 7 which works quite nicely after tweaking the settings for a few days.

The only drawback I found so far is that HABpanel opens in window after wall tablet gets activated even though its in kiosk mode.

First of all there are at least 3 generations of SiBo hardware
old 2 core CPU android 4.2.2
2nd gen 4 Core CPU and android 4.4
and 3rd Gen with 8 Core CPU they just released DEC 16. and I have not purchased that one yet.

While the first gen of SIBO did had a 0.3 Mpx camera that was terrible and I doubt it would work in night.On the second gen of hardware they did not bother. No camera so that is not an option.

The tablets do shine in night and having one in the bedroom would certainly be irritating, I did sleep in the living room once and it was bright from the backlight glow.

The second gen hardware comes with the android 4.4 and it has brightness dimming on inactivity.
That is much nicer in night but in full sun the tablet is not legible and requires a tap to bring it to full brightness. This is far more annoying and I decided to disable that with an app. I have them shine at full brightness all the time. The optimal solution would be an app that allows custom level of brightnes based on the external light sensor from OH or time of the day taking in account geo position an time of the year. On the to do list, very far on the bottom

The power use is not an issue, at 4.5W per tablet at full brightnes it is acceptable for me. My forced ventilation is 250W.

1 Like

I use Fully Kiosk Browser and it have an API to control the screen (ON/OFF) so I turn Off all my tab when I go to bed then with other motion sensor link to openhab if I get up in the middle of the night the sensor get it and turn my tablette back ON

And in the Day I let them open !

1 Like

What is your api to turn the screen on and off?
Right now iā€™m using Fully Kiosk Browsers camera motion detection and it works quite well.
Is there a way I can tell F-K-B to turn on the screen via ?

I would love to use the dedicated motion sensors in my rooms to trigger the ā€œscreen ONā€ signal again, but want to avoid using additional apps (Tasker etc.) to make that happen.

found it, i can use Fullys REST interfaceā€¦
cheers

REST INTERFACE (PLUS).

If you have Remote Admin enabled, you can use itā€™s features as a simple REST interface in order to control the device from your local network. The base URL address is always http://ip-address:2323. You have to specify the Remote Admin Password on the URL. Donā€™t forget to URLencode all query string parameters.

Starting with Fully 1.15 you can add type=json to the query string in order to get a short JSON response.

/?cmd=triggerMotion&password=[pass] (Fully 1.12+)
/?cmd=screenOn&password=[pass]
/?cmd=screenOff&password=[pass]

Itā€™s a Rest API

This is my item :

Switch TabKitchen {exec=">[ON:curl http://192.168.111.7:2323/?cmd=screenOn&password=admin] >[OFF:curl http://192.168.111.7:2323/?cmd=screenOff&password=admin]"}

I guest you could use HTTP binding I was more confortable with exec !

Here all the documentation there is a lot of thing you can do

http://www.ozerov.de/fully-kiosk-browser/#rest

No one answer me yet on this question Iā€™m gonna try to ask it to you :

Do you use this : Custom widget: Current Weather
in my case the icon appear black and doesnā€™t move with fully and I was wondering if I can fix it

EDIT Ohā€¦ i was not fast enough :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: you can still use my item if you want

3 Likes

Perfect, saves me some time! Thank you!

Sorry iā€™m currently not using the weather widget at all so I canā€™t help you there.
Does it work in Chrome? If it does but not in Fully - maybe the Fully-Developer might help you?

Yes it work with chorme ! I try to ask to de fully dev but he didnā€™t help me so much

this is the email :

If something appears on the website not in the way it should appear, the first question is: What is you Android version? If you are running Android 5.0 and newer please install Android System Webview from Google Play. Then the website rendering result should be the same as in latest Chrome on Android.

If you have Android 4.4 or less there is an outdated and buggy Webview brought by your Android which canā€™t be updated. Fully can only use the Webview provided by Android. Something can be very buggy on your website with this Android Webview.

There is a little chance but you can also try to change the Graphics Acceleration setting in Other Settings in Fully (reload the website each time). If itā€™s a kind of hardware acceleration issues this may help.

Not that I try to change the Graphics Acceleration setting

I use a Samsung tablet which I embedded in a traditional picture (painting) frame.

For now I use Chrome browser, but I was not really able to get HABPanel kiosk=on mode do anything. So it is kind of a not complete setup, still struggling with going full screen by default.

I also tried Fully Kiosk Browser and found out there was a fatal glitch: when I use colorful icons from Eclipse Smarthome Classic set, they get resized incorrectly upon restoring them to original state. For the bulbs on the picture below, when I enable them they look fine, but when I subsequently turn them off, they blow up. Has anyone observed/overcome this?

Cheers
Pawel

7 Likes

This looks great. Cant tell, but is the tablet immersed in the wall ā€“ ie, does it lay flat on the drywall or is the drywall cut out behind it? if flat on the wall, any issues with heating from the battery?

It is not immersed but itā€™s back is basically touching the wall with its back, the wall is not dry wall but plastered bricks, so maybe it works like a radiator a bit.
But I am also supplying it with 5V over a long cable which is not the right approach - the current is low and it is not charging the battery, though it is enough to keep it from discharging - probably all the energy goes to the current tabletā€™s operations. I am waiting for a delivery of PoE to USB adapter which I plan to plant behind the tablet - then it should start charging and I will see about the heat dissipation.

Pawel