Your setup for a wall mounted tablet

I think they changed the “url” or whatever in FKB. If I remember I’ll look at it tonight and report back. I’ve stopped using fire tabs, too many problems.

Im still really struggling with the motion detection and screen activation. I have three different brands of tablet and all running different versions of Android.

With security lock off, display turn off period set to never, Screen_Dim when the motion contact opens works fine, the display comes back on touch but the backlight is a pain at night especially as the devices are bedside. I’d be happy with this if i could turn off or dim the backlight too.

If i set the screen off period to say 2 minutes, again with security lock off, the screen goes into sleep when it should. If i move in front of the camera within the first 30 seconds, it wakes, so motion detection works but if its any longer than that the screen never responds to any motion.

So the display switching off is either sleeping the wifi, camera or both. I can wake the tablet by pressing the power button but i don’t want to do this, I just want it to wake on motion.

Any ideas anyone please, as its starting to get a little frustrating??

Hey guys, tinkering with openhab for a year or so. Here is my “smart board” I made with my wife. Basically, its a little organizer with voice control through Amazon Echo, and Habpanel on a mounted 10" Acer Tablet.

Blocked out Calendar entries in red.

13 Likes

Very well done!

In android, go into dev tools (needs to be enabled, Google is your friend ) and stop WiFi turning off.

The timeout you’re trying to do won’t, I think, work. When the tablet goes to sleep it’ll shut down the camera.
My solution is like yours but the screen dims to 10. When someone walks near it it lights up.
It’s a tablet on a special WiFi (for iot) and has nothing else installed. Security is not a concern for me in this case.

C

A story to share - after over a year of operation my wall tablet (Samsung T525 - pictures somewhere above in this thread) got swollen. The battery inside started swelling, I assume from the constant charging power attached. Initially I did not figure that out, just the bottom button dropped inside in the case and I thought it was kids that had broken it. But today the screen detached from the case and a gap appeared between the frame and the wall.

I removed the battery - for that I needed to take off the back cover. I detached the battery packs from a small electronic board with the connecting cable and kept the board. I must say I was curious what was inside the batteries and went outdoors to open them. Apart from a gas, the internal part of the battery seemed not malformed. However, a small damage to the surface caused the pack to get very heat and burn with smoke. I now have seen why these batteries are said to be very dangerous. I did not know how to dispose of the battery in such an excited state, so I tried to smash it and leave in a sand - I will see tomorrow if I can take it to the recycling safely. Not very wise, but once you started, there is no way back…

Then there was time to think how to make the tablet working again without the battery. First I connected the small board that was part of the battery - it contains a thermistor for measuring the temperature and an ID resistor to identify the battery. Without this board, the tablet will not power correctly even if supplying voltage directly to the battery terminals. With the board, connecting the tablet to an external power supply caused it to boot but it immediately shut down detecting battery is drained. Finally it worked when connected it to the charging power supply and at the same time connecting the positive charging terminal to the positive battery terminal (the ground is shared). Now it is working again.
Some time ago I installed exactly the same table in the kitchen, that one is not swelling yet, but I suppose I will remove the battery earlier. Who knows what would be next if I had not removed it - I don’t want it to blow up.

6 Likes

Wow.

Makes me think I should perhaps just remove the battery…

yeah… wow
I wonder if mounting a tablet flat against a wall maybe doesn’t allow it to cool properly.

Hello!

Even if it does cool properly, constant charging is not a good idea. At the very least, it will shorten battery life drastically. The way I (tried to - it is working for about a year, we will see how it behaves in the long run) solved this problem without removing battery and losing warranty was emulating normal charging cycles. I’ve installed Tasker, so I can have battery percentage reported to OpenHAB, and connected cheap Sonoff switch between charger and mains adapter. When battery drops to/below 15% I switch charger ON, when it reaches 85% or more, I switch it OFF. Again, tablet is being used this way for about a year - I don’t know if it will keep the battery in a good shape after a longer period of time.

Best regards,
Davor

1 Like

I would remove the battery imediately, it will die sooner or later. I kept my XPS15 laptop always charged and battery has swolen exactly the same in 2 years. In cheap tablets the batteries are maybe designed for 500-800 cycles. so after 2 years it will die, an hopefull not in a smoky way.

I use 7 tablets around house all with POE ethernet, no battery, therefore if something hangs up I can reboot them remotely even with a rule from OH. (just ssh to poe switch and cycle the relevant eth port)

1 Like

Which tablets are these?

There are somewhere on the begining of this post SIBO 896s for the 7inch one and I now test one 10" that is not as nice since it has no flush mount for a plaster board. but I did 3d print my own mountig bracket. to make it stick only 8mm from the wall.

The best thing is they have ETH port on the back so you can hide the only cable.

The latest release of their android works nice with HabPanelViewer.

Hello!

As I said, I don’t want to remove battery, because that would void warranty. I’m using cheap Chinese Prestigio tablet for over 5 years (not as a wall mounted panel, but as a regular tablet), charging and discharging it in regular cycles, and it still works. Battery life is shortened, but it works for a few hours. This one (used as a wall panel) is Samsung, so, it shouldn’t be worse than the cheep Chinese one. And, besides that, it is never fully charged (especially not overcharged) - it stops charging at 85%, so, I don’t see why would it “die in smoky way”. I guess, if you use regular tablet (not a wall mounted one), you have to charge it too, and (in most cases) it doesn’t catch on fire while charging. Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Davor

But they´re Android 4.1.2 only??
Do you know how much power they consume? I can tell from the specs theyre power with 9-24vdc, which is quite nice.

The most recent one’s have Android 6.0.1 and Octacore A83 chip those are the only one that has webview v75 that is required to run HPV.

On average they consume 4.5-5W for the 7" and 6.5W for the 10"

The main reason to buy them is not to use the DC power but Power Over Ethernet!!!

Thats quite good for power consuming I would say…
And yes, I´d interested because of the POE…
I cant seem to find the device anywhere though, only with android 4.2.2.

The problem is it is still called 896s since 2 generations, so if you buy from dealers you never sure what you get. I got them from sibo directly. Details are on Alibaba.

1 Like

I tried search on Alibaba, but I can only find the “old” ones.

1 Like

I’m using a Vidabox on a Samsung Tab A 10.5 . Works really well. Permanently powered via a 12v usb socket in the wall cavity

2 Likes