Z-Wave 2 Binding in OpenHAB 2 - strange behavior of Fibaro Multisensor FGMS001

Hi!

Since the last update that crashed my whole installation and recreation of the z-wave network, there’ two things I noticed: door contacts now report open/closed instead of on/off which it was before the update and the Fibaro Motion sensor stopped to report at all while it worked on the older builds from March.

Strange thing on excluding the sensor is also the following Exception (the sensor is excluded as the color of the LED is red on battery insert):

12:32:05.102 [ERROR] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Exception during ZWave thread: Input 2. {}
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal status REMOVED. The thing was in state ONLINE and not in REMOVING
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager$1.ensureValidStatus(ThingManager.java:189)[106:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.9.0.201704201358]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager$1.statusUpdated(ThingManager.java:146)[106:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.9.0.201704201358]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler.updateStatus(BaseThingHandler.java:386)[106:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.9.0.201704201358]
	at org.openhab.binding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler.ZWaveIncomingEvent(ZWaveThingHandler.java:1235)[214:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.1.0.201704211358]
	at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController.notifyEventListeners(ZWaveController.java:567)[214:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.1.0.201704211358]
	at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.serialmessage.RemoveNodeMessageClass.handleRequest(RemoveNodeMessageClass.java:95)[214:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.1.0.201704211358]
	at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController.handleIncomingRequestMessage(ZWaveController.java:248)[214:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.1.0.201704211358]
	at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController.handleIncomingMessage(ZWaveController.java:214)[214:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.1.0.201704211358]
	at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController.access$7(ZWaveController.java:208)[214:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.1.0.201704211358]
	at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController$ZWaveInputThread.run(ZWaveController.java:1324)[214:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.1.0.201704211358]

Though the sensor reports itself with the LED as excluded, in OpenHAB and HABmin, the node is still present. Any way to clean up those “dead nodes”?

This is because the framework has now stopped bindings from setting devices as removed so you need to delete them manually now. I will need to remove this from the binding.

Hi @chris,

so you mean there won’t be an “exclude device” on the controller any more? Currently, when I delete a device in Paper UI or Habmin, however, it is re-discovered as the same node number every time I do a fresh inclusion. Obviously, the old node isn’t paired any more so I have a lot of “dead” items in my Inbox. Is there a way to fully remove those from the controller, so they are not ending up in the inbox any more (similar to: what to do with a broken device and how to remove it for good)?

No - this will remain, but once you’ve excluded the thing, you will need to then delete the thing manually (as things stand at the moment I think).

If you exclude the device, then you shouldn’t have these “dead” items in your inbox.

And what about devices I cannot properly exclude (broken device)?

Ok, so this is unrelated to the exclude question?

Then just use the remove device option on the thing. Maybe I’ll look at improving this interface, but that’s the way to do it.

Hi @chris,

first thanks for your help!

Well - situation was the same. Deletion of either excluded or dead device in PaperUI and Habmin for me results in (some) devices to reappear there, when I scan for new devices or refresh Z-Wave. Though most often after exclusion the devices stays off the inbox, but I had the case a couple of times that they came up again even when properly excluded (at least the device said it was excluded). I suppose the controller still “thinks” it’s paired with the device. Is there an option to delete it from the controller (obviously other than a hard reset)?

Yes - as above, use the remove device from controller option.

It’s not guaranteed to succeed, but currently that’s the only thing I can offer within OH.

Hi @chris,

thanks. I’ll give it a try!

Hi guys!

Back to the initial topic - how do I get my fibaro motion sensor working again (motion alarm)?

Regards,
Herbert

Hello @hl_at

I got it using a workaround with “alarm_tamper”. Surprisingly, I figured out that alarm_tamper is reported when there is motion detected.

Though @chris, IMHO it would be nice to fix this to have alarm_motion report the motion and alarm_tamper only tamper alarms.

So @hl_at - alarm_tamper does the trick for me for the time being.

Absolutely - if there are errors in the database, they should be fixed rather than working around the issue - then everyone benefits.

Please feel free to update it.

Hi @chris

since I have no idea how to do that update, could you please give me a hint about how to do that? Please don’t get me wrong, but as I’m heavily occupied by my job and wouldn’t have a lot of time to get into that matter, I would be glad if there’s an easy and straight-forward way to do it.

There’s a guide here (http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-database-guide http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-database-guide). I’m not sure exactly what needs to change though.

Hi @antares2001 and @chris!

Just made the changes in the Zwave Database - hope I did everything right. I must admit, that I am quite confused due to different threads about fgms001 here (e.g. Fibaro FGMS-001 how to get sensor data). Probably there is a difference between Zwave+ and the older ones.

Regards,
Herbert

I’m suspicious that this is wrong since it is configured like the notification class - my guess is that this has been configured for the notification class - probably using a newer version as an example.

Can you post the XML for this device please?

Hi @chris !

Here you go:node7.xml (15.6 KB)

Regards,
Herbert

Hi @chris!

Any chance to look at the issue?

Regards,
Herber

I looked at this when you posted the XML and I updated the database on the 9th May. Is it still not working?

1 Like

Thank you @chris works again.

For others: when I made the update all my things were gone, don’t know if it was helpful/necessary in combination with the zwave DB-update done by chris - it just happened…

Regards,
Herbert