Z-wave repeater supported by openhab?

Hello is this z-wave repeater supported by openhab?

Aeotec Repeater 7

I would like to have a battery motion detector in my mailbox which is about 20 meters away / 6 meter higher and also in an metal box. Is this even possible to get signal there?

Yes, repeaters don’t really do a lot from an OH perspective - just add it to the network and it will work.

I think it’s VERY unlikely to work.

Firstly, if you put a radio device in a metal box, it will introduce a large attenuation to the radio signal - that’s not to say it won’t work, but for devices like ZWave that are low power, it’s unlikely.

Secondly, 20m is quite a long distance. It would (probably) be ok if there were no walls, or maybe just thin plasterboard, but if there’s any brick or stone, then this distance is probably too far.

Add these two together, and I fear your chances of a reliable connection, or maybe even any connection at all, is probably low.

Perhaps use an external weatherproof antenna? It needs to be sized to keep the ERP (Effective Radiated Power) of the RF signal within permitted range though.

Thanks - what motion dedector would allow a external antenna?

I just tested with a NEO COOLCAM PIR Motion Sensor+ which is working fine with openhab.

I have one of those utsude I will likely replace today. Mine has gone through 2 batteries in a year. I am putting in a Zooz outdoor sensor that uses wither AA batteries or USB power.

Hello all I just bought that repeater anyway to test. Now I always include the z-wave devices with the z-wave.me rasbi image. working perfect.

now back to openhab i get:

Z-Wave Node 024

Unknown Device

This device has not been fully discovered by the binding. There are a few possible reasons for this -:

Quote:

• The device is not in the database. If the device attributes show that this device has a valid manufacturer ID, device ID and type, then this is likely the case (eg. you see a label like " Z-Wave node 1 (0082:6015:020D::2.0) "). Even if the device appears to be in the database, some manufacturers use multiple sets of references for different regions or versions, and your device references may not be in the database. In either case, the database must be updated and you should raise an issue to get this addressed.
  • The device initialisation is not complete. Once the device is included into the network, the binding must interrogate it to find out what type of device it is. One part of this process is to get the manufacturer information required to identify the device, and until this is done, the device will remain unknown. For mains powered devices, this will occur quickly, however for battery devices the device must be woken up a number of times to allow the discovery phase to complete. This must be performed with the device close to the controller.

Status: OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR Node is not communicating with controller
UnQuote:

Can I do anything here? I was expecting repeaters just work…
Tks.

Yes, it should just work. It won’t do anything though so you can probably just ignore it. Probably it’s not detected if you are using an old binding, but it will still work.

Status now after some hours… Still unknown… but Online

Z-Wave Repeater

Unknown Device

This device has not been fully discovered by the binding. There are a few possible reasons for this -:

• The device is not in the database. If the device attributes show that this device has a valid manufacturer ID, device ID and type, then this is likely the case (eg. you see a label like " Z-Wave node 1 (0082:6015:020D::2.0) "). Even if the device appears to be in the database, some manufacturers use multiple sets of references for different regions or versions, and your device references may not be in the database. In either case, the database must be updated and you should raise an issue to get this addressed.
  • The device initialisation is not complete. Once the device is included into the network, the binding must interrogate it to find out what type of device it is. One part of this process is to get the manufacturer information required to identify the device, and until this is done, the device will remain unknown. For mains powered devices, this will occur quickly, however for battery devices the device must be woken up a number of times to allow the discovery phase to complete. This must be performed with the device close to the controller.

SHOW PROPERTIES

Is there an xml file in the zwave directory of userdata?

As mentioned above - maybe you are using an old binding or the device you’re using isn’t supported?

I don’t have a xml for node 24.

I just did “heal” and now I have one…

edit: it changed size
network_eeaa2b59__node_24.xml (2.0 KB)

Aeotec Repeater 7

now it is also integrated in the network but with red arrows. maybe not good yet…

Google Photos

I did this over a year ago with zWave and it works fine with some holes drilled on the back of the mailbox to allow the signal out. I also have a repeater (the version 6 of Aeotec) plugged in closes to the mailbox to help the signal along.

Best, Jay

now my network healed over night, and the repeater is single again, no neighbours. This seems to be wrong to me… Is this normal for repeaters?

Google Photos

@jwiseman - the holes are really required? what size are they?

The zwave signal did not work without them. I have a metal mailbox, may not be required for a plastic one? They are 1" in size.

Best, Jay

So you are fortunate enough to have power near your mailbox.

Yeah, 50’ away. I also have those repeaters configured in OH. Only for the purposes of monitoring if they (things) are online or not.

Group 	 Repeater <movecontrol>
Dimmer   GarageRepeater_Dimmer			"Dimmer [%s]" 												(Repeater)									{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node15:switch_dimmer" }
Color 	 GarageRepeater_Color			"Color [%s]" 																							{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node15:color_color" }
Dimmer 	 GarageRepeater_Color_Temp 		"Color Temperature [%s]" 								 												{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node15:color_temperature" }
DateTime GarageRepeater_Update			"[%1$tm.%1$td.%1$tY %1$tH:%1$tM]"   <clock>					(gSensorUpdates, ResetExpire)				{ expire="4h" }

Dimmer   UpStairsRepeater_Dimmer		"Dimmer [%s]" 												(Repeater)									{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node16:switch_dimmer" }
Color 	 UpStairsRepeater_Color			"Color [%s]" 																							{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node16:color_color" }
Dimmer 	 UpStairsRepeater_Color_Temp 	"Color Temperature [%s]" 								 												{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node16:color_temperature" }
DateTime UpStairsRepeater_Update		"[%1$tm.%1$td.%1$tY %1$tH:%1$tM]"   <clock>					(gSensorUpdates, ResetExpire)				{ expire="4h" }

Dimmer   BasementRepeater_Dimmer		"Dimmer [%s]" 												(Repeater)									{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node17:switch_dimmer" }
Color 	 BasementRepeater_Color			"Color [%s]" 																							{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node17:color_color" }
Dimmer 	 BasementRepeater_Color_Temp 	"Color Temperature [%s]" 								 												{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node17:color_temperature" }
DateTime BasementRepeater_Update		"[%1$tm.%1$td.%1$tY %1$tH:%1$tM]"   <clock>					(gSensorUpdates, ResetExpire)				{ expire="4h" }

Dimmer   MainFloorRepeater_Dimmer		"Dimmer [%s]" 												(Repeater)									{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node18:switch_dimmer" }
Color 	 MainFloorRepeater_Color		"Color [%s]" 																							{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node18:color_color" }
Dimmer 	 MainFloorRepeater_Color_Temp 	"Color Temperature [%s]" 								 												{ channel="zwave:device:5fd3acb8:node18:color_temperature" }
DateTime MainFloorRepeater_Update		"[%1$tm.%1$td.%1$tY %1$tH:%1$tM]"   <clock>					(gSensorUpdates, ResetExpire)				{ expire="4h" }

Best, Jay

1 Like

Hello, can me somebody guide me how to get my repeater with a correct config and status known to openhab?

what i did…

1. update openhab (openhabian openHAB 2.5.7-1 (Release Build))
  2. removed thing and add it again (same result - unknown).

Z-Wave Node 024 (0371:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:0.0)

Unknown Device

As I mentioned elsewhere, the fact that the device type/ids are 7FFFFFFF indicates something went wrong with the discovery. Either the device is not communicating properly, or the binding missed this information somehow, or the device sent incorrect data.

The strange thing I just noticed now is that the manufacturer ID is set correctly. This is strange as this is received in the same packet as the type/id, so it might indicate that your device is sending rubbish.

I’d suggest to perform the discovery again - if the same thing happens, then enable debug logging (see binding docs) and do the discovery again and supply the logs here…

1 Like

at 15:28 I removed it and readded.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvJmppDlXSs2gsIVK5uKmji-q6pVEQ?e=WwpqPe