Zehnder ComfoAirQ350 -- do I need ComfoConnect to control it?

@klaudiusz223 Thank you, that works. Great. Many many thanks… I will work on the OH3 Rule version in the next days

@klaudiusz223 and @michaelarnauts: Many thanks for your efforts, I’m using your codes successfully for since quite some.

I recently moved my services to docker, but I’m not aware of pre-built docker images for your scripts, so I gave it a try. Anyone interested, please see here: GitHub - soeffi/comfoairq-homie-docker: Docker container running comfoairq-homie, providing access to ComfoAirQ devices via MQTT

This is my first docker image, I’m open to suggestions, please be kind :wink:

Stefan

1 Like

Hi cmachtel

Can you please post your full working entry for Systemd.
My entry, which ends in en error:

[Unit]
Description=“Homie4 ComfoAirQ Service”
After=syslog.target network.target mosquitto.service openhab.service

[Service]
WorkingDirectory=/home/openhabian/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/comfoairq_homie/
Environment=COMFOAIRQ_LOGLEVEL=INFO
Environment=COMFOAIRQ_COMFOCONNECT_LOGLEVEL=INFO
Environment=PATH=/home/openhabian/.local/bin:$PATH
ExecStart=/home/openhabian/.local/bin/comfoairq-homie -c /home/openhabian/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/comfoairq_homie/comfoairq/comfoairq_homie.yml

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Error Text:

The “ExecStart” works perfect in the command line.

Any Idea? thanks for your help.

Hi,

For me this works:

[Unit]
Description=“Homie4 ComfoAirQ Service”
After=syslog.target network.target mosquitto.service openhab2.service
[Service]
WorkingDirectory= /home/openhabian/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/comfoairq_homie
Environment=COMFOAIRQ_LOGLEVEL=INFO
Environment=COMFOAIRQ_COMFOCONNECT_LOGLEVEL=INFO
Environment=PATH=/opt/comfoairq/virtualenv/bin:$PATH
ExecStart= /home/openhabian/.local/bin/comfoairq-homie -c /home/openhabian/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/comfoairq_homie/comfoairq_homie.yml
Restart=always
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Is anybody registered at the beta program of Zehnder?
Do they offer anything useful?

Hi,

this is what Zehnder thinks is useful, evaluate if useful for you.

• With the Zehnder Cloud, you can view current and historical operating data to check the proper operation of your device.
  • In addition, you can find operating instructions, warranty and service messages for your device on the platform.
  • It also provides access to professional explanations about the functions of the ventilation system.
  • In addition, the cloud access offers the possibility to control your devices via voice commands and to integrate them into a Smart Home environment.
1 Like

Hi @bitweasel ,

Just want to know if you worked on the Binding and it is already available anywhere?

Best regards
Stefan

Hi all, just got a ComfoAir Q600 with LAN C module installed. I read the whole thread but got lost, to be honest. As far as I understand, there is no binding for a ComfoAirQ with LAN C, unfortunately.

What is currently the best available option to integrate this into OpenHAB? I read about a “comfoairq-homie” and some python script that then seems to be replaced by another script but I have no clue that all that means and what I need to get it integrated.

If anybody would be so kind to explain in a handful sentences what is now really required and how it ends up in OpenHAB at the end, it would be very much appreciated!

Hello @sirupflex ,

Sorry for late reply. You are right, it is quite difficult to get an overview.
There is no out of the box binding but following this thread it is possible to get it working using the mqtt binding.
I do not remind step by step what i did, but it’s working. In big lines the solution is to get a Python code running on an extra Raspberry pi, or on a Nas Docker, (or maybe on the same raspberry as OH but did not try that)

This code connects to Zehnder and sends the information to OH.
I agree with you that a small user guide would be helpful but i am not able to do it as i am not sure what steps I did to get it working.
Have a look at GitHub - klaudiusz223/ComfoAirQ-Homie: Homie4 for Zehnder ComfoAirQ, this is the python script used to connect to Zehnder and try to follow the steps in this thread. If you face problems ask us, probably we will find a solution.

1 Like

Hello Christophe,
Thank you so much for your help, it is appreciated. Although I’m an IT guy, I’m currently lost with the basics, there are so many scripts and references around and I’m not clear what I need and how they communicate.

There is the ComfoAirQ-Homie script you linked.

• It references two other scripts (pycomfoconnect and Homie4). Does this mean I don’t need to bother about pycomfoconnect and Homie4 and just focus on ComfoAirQ-Homie because that one covers both? Or do I also need to install those other two scripts in addition, and ComfoAirQ just makes use of them (i.e. I need to install and maintain 3 scripts)?
  • What exactly is ComfoAirQ-Homie doing? Reading the data from the ComfoAirQ device and offering the data via MQTT? So I guess I need then to connect to this via the OH MQTT binding

Sorry for the dumb questions. As I’m neither too familiar with Python nor MQTT, and I’m running OpenHAB as a docker container on a QNAP NAS, my favorite solution would be the docker solution that thankfully somebody created. With the docker solution, however, I’m worried that it might not be maintained any more and if it breaks with a new OH version, I’m done. So I’d like to better understand the “long way” as well.

Hi,

No, you only need to follow that guide from ComfoAirQ-Homie and it will work. I run OH on a raspberry pi, but I have a container on my Qnap that runns ComfoAirQ-Homie.
That container gets the Data from and to Zehnder and sends it with mqtt to OH.

I do not really know how i did it but i have installed a normal Debian2 image on a new docker. I took Putty to log in into the QNAP and accessed the Container with:

docker exec -i -t debian-2 bash

There I followed the tutorial form ComfoAirQ-Homie
And with the settings I post above, it worked.
Install a MQTT Broker on your OH and use in a first step MQTT Explorer on Windows to see if there is a mqtt connection and things get sends.

The only thing I did currently not manage is to autostart the ComfoAirQ-Homie, so on every QNAP restart (update) I have to manually start the script…but maybe someday I find a solution.
Hint, the script on my conatiner finaly was located at

~/.local/pipx/venvs/comfoairq-homie/lib/python3.11/site-packages/comfoairq_homie

start command once in the right folder is

comfoairq-homie

1 Like

Excellent, thank you very much!
I was now digging through the installation processes for the Python scripts (first time ever I did that on my NAS) and could start comfoairq-homie. Looks like it indeed found my Q600, cool.

But it complains that it didn’t find an MQTT broker. Of course, because I have none yet. So this is the other side I need to understand, MQTT. If I understand correctly, I need that MQTT broker, to which then the OpenHAB MQTT Binding and also the comfoairq-homie script are connecting to, in order to exchange data, right?

Can I simply search for the Mosquitto docker container and install it on my NAS (found MQTT Mosquitto version 5, 3.1.1 in the docker repository)? And then configure everything else correctly and after that hopefully having the Q600 data in OpenHAB?

If that’s the case, I’m optimistic that I get it running, but would appreciate a quick confirmation before I jump into it, to make sure I’m running in the right direction here :slight_smile:

Hi, For the MQTT broker just install that one from Openhab, it’s much easier tham running a separate instance of MQTT. It’s quite easy. Putty your openhab instance and sudo openhabian-config and follow the steps to install MQTT broker (p.s. do not put a password on it)

1 Like

I’m not sure what you meant by “just install the one from Openhab”, as I thought to understand there is only a MQTT binding but no broker. And I’m also not on a Raspi, just using my QNAP NAS.

Good news is, however, I managed to get it all working as it seems!

I installed the Mosquitto docker container in the QNAP Container Station and after I figured out what I have to put in that config file (e.g. adding a listener, etc.) then it finally worked. MQTT Things got discovered and I created my first Item, showing the desired value.

Need to leave now and will work on the final Items and setup later on.

Christophe, I would like to thank you so much for your support, you saved me countless hours of digging in the dark and thanks to your help I could get it done, and get it done even quite quickly. Really happy about this. Thank you!!

1 Like

With the help of the community I managed to get my ComfoAir Q600 integrated with OpenHAB. Thank you all very much for your scripts and help! As I was documenting the whole process for myself, I’d like to share the full approach, hoping it will help others.

With this thread being very long already and not necessarily having a matching title, I decided to create a separate thread for the guide, so hopefully it is much easier for people to find the information.

Hi All, Firstly, apologies… Im pretty new to Zehnder - and a huge amount of info to take in here - most of which goes over my head.

Wondering if somebody can summarise/assist please…

I have built a property with 2 x Q350s running, one for each floor.
The property is Loxone throughout, with touch switches/sensor in every room.
The installation company said they could control the Zehnder unit from Loxone, to boost when the sensors picked up high humidity, shower etc - and this would be done by plugging in an RJ45 to the Zehnder unit. However, they since found the RJ45 connector on the unit does nothing.
The units were supplied with 2 x Zehnder ComfoSwitch C67 which we have not used.

All I am really looking to do is have the boost automatic.
Anything else is a bonus.
I do have a Raspberry Pii if that helps.

I was originally told I need 2 x Lan C controllers, then was advised they are pointless, just get the Option box, but that is still an additional £500+vat for 2 units.

Is there no way of connecting straight to it, or hi-jacking the ComfoSwitch to do this?
What are the benefits of all the extra features with the Lan c / Option Box?
Could I get away with one box and link the 2 units from one Lan C/Option Box?

What would you recommend?

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Let me share my weak understanding:

1. As far as I understand, the RJ45 plug of the device is just for servicing purpose, not for end-customer use, i.e. it doesn’t do anything useful for any end-user automation / smart-home purpose.

2. The Option Box has nothing to do with making your ComfoAirQ smart, it is just there to connect switches and sensors in what I would call the “old fashioned way” (directly wired analog connections to sensors and switches). That’s at least how I understand it.

3. The primary purpose of the ComfoConnect LAN C Box (that’s not an “Option Box”) is to allow you to control your ComfoAirQ from a smarphone app that Zehnder provides for free in the usual app stores (I’m using it, it’s quite good). A side effect is that you then can also control your ComfoAirQ through some 3rd party scripts like “ComfoAirQ-Homie” that you can e.g. run on a RasPi or a NAS. It is a bit DYI but it is possible to use it to fully integrate it into any Smarthome solution as long as you can find a way to integrate it into your own Loxone solution as well (don’t know if this is possible with Loxone). I managed to integrate my ComfoAirQ via ComfoAirQ-Homie with OpenHAB and if you have your Loxone sensors in OpenHAB as well, I guess you could probably program your own logic in OpenHAB based on your Loxone sensors / switches to control the ComfoAirQ device as you wish.

4. If I correctly remember, having looked at Loxone many years ago, there is a direct KNX integration possible with Loxone (? I think you need to buy some specific Loxone HW to connect to KNX). So if you have that, you could for the ComfoAirQ rather buy the ComfoConnect KNX C box instead of the LAN C box and directly integrate it via KNX with Loxone. Then I guess you could control everything directly within your Loxone logic. I’d recommend you research first in more detail if that’s really possible in the way you need it, in case that would be a potential way forward for you. With the ComfoConnect KNX C, you cannot use the Zehnder Smartphone app or the ComfoAirQ-Homie script. You have to decide which one you prefer.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck with your integration.