Zigbee devices work for sometime and then suddenly stop working

It is a 2 gang relay switch

download link

This is the link from where you can download the compilance document
Document

This is what is found about c2531.That cc2531 cannot be used as co-ordinator.

zigbee alliance cc2531 compliance download link

Thatā€™s incorrect.

As I said earlier, if the device is a standard switch, then it should work fine with the binding.

okā€¦then what do you think Is the switch a standard switch?..since I was able to control it?..

Sorry - I donā€™t understand what you mean. Can you rephrase the question please?

Sorry for my language.
Is the ulti zigbee switch a standard switch from above compliance document?

I have not checked through the PICS so Iā€™m not sure (sorry, but I am also quite busy at the moment). If it supports the clusters that are defined in the binding documentation, then it will work.

ok no issuesā€¦i will try with other dongle :blush:

Thanks for your quick replies

The CC2531 should work fine. I will take a quick look at the PICS to see what clusters it states.

The PICS shows that itā€™s programmed as an OnOff switch, so it should support the standard OnOff cluster and should work fine with the binding.

1 Like

ok thanksā€¦
I can turn on and off the switch with binding for sometime 10 min or so.After that the switching action takes delay.If I turn on the button in UI the respective switch will turn on after 30s,50s and soā€¦

@chris I do experience the same issue. Lots of [WARN ] [ding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeSerialPort] - Processing DATA_AVAILABLE event: Serial buffer overrun
Looking briefly in the binding code this is logged where a 512 bytes buffer on the host side is filled up. So there are two options here really:

1. CC2531 floods the host with data
  2. The binding reads it too slowly

I find option 1 quite unlikely given the dongle runs at 115k baudrate (11.5k bytes per second). Thatā€™s not much even for a raspberry pi.
Iā€™ll look deeper into this.

Thanks. I donā€™t use the TI dongle so it would really be good if you could take a look. Most of the binding is the same though so I wouldnā€™t have expected the binding to be running slow or weā€™d see the same issue on the Ember, but letā€™s see.

So Iā€™ve made following experiment today:
I have copied openhab (2.5.1) from my openhabian 1.5 to my laptop as is and I can see the same issue on my laptop. Lots of buffer overrun logs and general unreliable network behavior.
However when I run 2.5.0-M5 on my laptop everything works fine. So raspberry pi is unrelated and the dongle is unrelated too as I run both versions at the same dongle. Clearly a recent change in the binding (or zigbee lib if the versions are different) has caused this.
Versions in test:
Faulty:

Distribution Version Information
----------------------------------------
build-no        : Release Build
online-repo     : https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-release

Repository        Version
openhab-distro  : 2.5.1
openhab-core    : 2.5.0
openhab1-addons : 1.14.0
openhab2-addons : 2.5.1
karaf           : 4.2.7

Working ok:

openHAB Distribution Version Information
build-no        : Milestone Build
online-repo     : https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/online-repo-milestone/2.5

Repository        Version
openhab-distro  : 2.5.0.M5
openhab-core    : 2.5.0.M5
openhab1-addons : 1.14.0.M5
openhab2-addons : 2.5.0.M5
karaf           : 4.2.7

I will try to bisect and find a version when it started. @chris any clues what changes in between 2.5.0-M5 and 2.5.1 could have caused this? Any dependent library change?

Browsing through the commits briefly this one seems to be potential culprit as it replaces serial port implementation: https://github.com/openhab/org.openhab.binding.zigbee/commit/0d0377536e56cff26fe16da5e3d142ad739ea386 - PR #513 by @wborn
Any thoughts?

I donā€™t think there have been any changes to the CC2531 driver other than the ones that you made. The 2531 driver has really had very minimal change for a year or more other than from you :wink:

There are no dependant libraries other than OH and the ZSS ZigBee libraries and as above, the only change in the ZSS library relating to the 2531 are ones that you madeā€¦

In theory, that PR should not have made any difference to the binding. It should only add an abstraction layer to the serial system.

Itā€™s also worth noting that the problem you are seeing with the 2531 does not seem to be an issue with the Ember (at least not that Iā€™ve noticed, and no-one has reported any issue).

Fair challenge :wink: I will build 2.5.1 with serial port change commit reverted and another version with ZSS downgraded back to version that 2.5.0 runs on. Will see where the issue sits.
How do I build the binding bundle? What mvn command?

1 Like