Zigbee OTA Firmware Provider

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc20af45488>

I’ve got a handful of devices that I have firmware files for, and would like to update the devices with them.

As far as I understand, the zigbee binding itself supports firmware updates (here), but the firmware provider to actually link device types to firmware files is missing (here).

I’m curious where I would start looking to learn how to implement this firmware provider. I’ve skimmed through the documentation I’ve been able to find, but I haven’t managed to find a good starting place for this.

Alternatively, if this is something that somebody’s working on already, point me towards it and I’ll see if I can help by offering some test subjects. :slight_smile:

@chris owns the zigbee binding.

This isn’t really anything to do with the ZigBee binding. The firmware provider is completely independent, and the OTA protocol itself is already supported in the binding.

I believe in the past the plan was to have such a provider, but that was in ESH so I’m not sure what the status is now. I’m also not sure where the documentation is - I think there was an issue raised to add documentation as there was/is none in ESH, but I’m not sure.

I have implemented a provider, but unfortunately I can’t provide that publicly at the moment - maybe in future I will find some time to sort it out.

1 Like

Alright. Well, it doesn’t look like any of the other bindings implement firmware updating, so I think I’m kinda stuck. I’m not familiar enough with the project’s architecture to start from just the comments on the generic FirmwareProvider. I guess I’ll see if I can update these some other way for now.

@chris is there any update on the topic?
A few companies (IKEA, Osram) offer download links for their firmware files, would be great to have at least a manual way to trigger an update - maybe directly via the karaf console.

No - there’s n real update. I do plan to look at this over Christmas - and by this I would provide a manual (command line) way to load firmware.

1 Like

I missed that issue - was only looking at the core repository.
Great to hear, can’t wait to test it :slight_smile: