• Java Runtime Environment: OpenJDK 11
    • openHAB version: 3.2 Snapshot
  • Issue of the topic:
    I have setup 2 Yale Assue SL locks with the Zigbee module
    Adding them to OH was straightforward

The lock responds very slowly, when it does
    OH does not update when the lock is manually operated

I set the zigbee logging to debug and it’s very verbose

I have 18 Leviton zigbee dimmers and switches so they generate a lot log noise.

Any suggestion on how to filter just for the Locks?
The lock xml
000D6F0010C99F27.xml (106.1 KB)

Log sample
ohlog.log (105.9 KB)

Any info I can use when contacting Yale support will also be useful

Could you please post the full Java version.
From your given information, it looks like an unrecommended version, which could lead to your bad performance…
Zulu 11 would be the right choice.

:~$ java -version
openjdk version “11.0.11” 2021-04-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.20.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.20.04, mixed mode, sharing)

I’m pretty sure that OpenJDK is just as supported and preformat as Zulu.

My issue is with the Yale Assure SL lock with the Zigbee module installed

No, we do not recommend using OpenJDK, as there are known issues. Pleas try with Zulu 11.

Yes, use the log file viewer -:

Looking at this I can see some delivery failures from the dongle which likely indicates there is a poor connection to the device -:

This shows the first command sent to the device fails - the coordinator was unable to deliver it. The binding then retries this, and it is successful, but we then also receive a number of responses. Again this indicates that there is likely a communications issue between the coordinator and the device.

Thank you
I’m going to try to move the dongle closer to see if that makes any difference. There a a great number of routers (Leviton dimmers) between the current dongle position and the door. I wonder why there is a comm problem?

@chris
I want to validate what I see in the event.log and the openhab.log before I go running off to Yale to complain about their terrible Zigbee implementation.

I started OH and waited until all zigbee things were online

From OH, I locked and unlocked the door lock
I then manually locked and unlocked the door lock.
I then, using the lock keypad, I locked and unlocked the doorlock

I then stopped OH

All I see in the events and OH logs are the actions I took using OH, no status changes or events for actions I took directly on the lock and it’s keypad

Do you agree?
TIA

link to logs

@chris I’m following up
I have a much smaller OH log

Same test
Set Zigbee looging to DEBUG
Lock and unlock Zigbee Yale Assure SL from OH
Lock and unlock manually
Lock and unlock using Yale Assure SL Keypad
Lock and unlock Zigbee Yale Assure SL from OH
Set Zigbee logging to INFO

openhab.log (125.2 KB)

Log viewer

I see my OH commands and state updates, I don’t see much that I understand in-between the OH lock/unlock iteration. Definitely no state updates for operations performed on the lock itself.

Do we need to get lower level trace?
Is this enough for me to complain to Yale?
Yale tech support suggested that my lock is not close enough
This test was performed with the lock and Zigbee hub in the same room.

This sounds an awful lot like the same behaviour as Yale/Schlage Z-Wave locks. In those cases, you have to use the alarm_raw channel to get updates from the lock. But I don’t know if the same thing exists with Zigbee.

Zigbee is totally different to ZWave and the same channels do not exist.

1 Like

You can try to reinitialise the device. Possibly the device did not get initialised fully and is not sending reports back to the binding when the device state is updated.

==> /var/log/openhab/openhab.log <==
2021-12-08 16:02:59.598 [ERROR] [ng.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler] - 000D6F0010C7023F: Exception creating channels
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
  at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.internal.converter.ZigBeeConverterDoorLock.initializeDevice(ZigBeeConverterDoorLock.java:75) ~[bundleFile:?]
  at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler.initializeDevice(ZigBeeThingHandler.java:514) ~[bundleFile:?]
  at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler.doNodeInitialisation(ZigBeeThingHandler.java:377) [bundleFile:?]
  at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler$1.call(ZigBeeThingHandler.java:227) [bundleFile:?]
  at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler$1.call(ZigBeeThingHandler.java:1) [bundleFile:?]
  at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) [?:?]
  at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304) [?:?]
  at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
  at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829) [?:?]

==> /var/log/openhab/events.log <==

2021-12-08 16:02:59.600 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:device:cd9edd5897:000d6f0010c7023f' changed from UNKNOWN to OFFLINE (HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR)

I see this allot in my log

Disable then enable thing

2021-12-08 16:11:05.505 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:device:cd9edd5897:000d6f0010c7023f' changed from OFFLINE (HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED
2021-12-08 16:11:05.517 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:device:cd9edd5897:000d6f0010c7023f' changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (DISABLED)
2021-12-08 16:11:09.470 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:device:cd9edd5897:000d6f0010c7023f' changed from UNINITIALIZED (DISABLED) to INITIALIZING
2021-12-08 16:11:09.475 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:device:cd9edd5897:000d6f0010c7023f' changed from INITIALIZING to UNKNOWN
2021-12-08 16:11:09.475 [INFO ] [penhab.event.FirmwareStatusInfoEvent] - Firmware status of thing zigbee:device:cd9edd5897:000d6f0010c7023f changed to UNKNOWN.

==> /var/log/openhab/openhab.log <==

2021-12-08 16:11:34.542 [ERROR] [ng.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler] - 000D6F0010C7023F: Exception creating channels
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
  at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.internal.converter.ZigBeeConverterDoorLock.initializeDevice(ZigBeeConverterDoorLock.java:75) ~[bundleFile:?]
  at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler.initializeDevice(ZigBeeThingHandler.java:514) ~[bundleFile:?]
  at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler.doNodeInitialisation(ZigBeeThingHandler.java:377) [bundleFile:?]
  at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler$1.call(ZigBeeThingHandler.java:227) [bundleFile:?]
  at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler$1.call(ZigBeeThingHandler.java:1) [bundleFile:?]
  at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) [?:?]
  at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304) [?:?]
  at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
  at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829) [?:?]

2021-12-08 16:11:34.543 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:device:cd9edd5897:000d6f0010c7023f' changed from UNKNOWN to OFFLINE (HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR)

Please use the latest snapshot and let me know if this helps.

smitopher@myth-server:~$ openhab-cli info

Version:     3.2.0-SNAPSHOT (#2613)

No difference

This version is too old. You need to use the latest zigbee snapshot - not from yesterday!

I installed using apt, I’ll try again tomorrow and perhaps it will be in the snapshot repo by then

Yes, if you don’t want to install manually, then I think you have to wait for the nightly update. Sorry.