Zooz Zwave Controller ZEN32 multiple button press

I had a need for a scene controller and just purchased the ZEN32 from Zooz.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/zooz/products/zooz-700-series-z-wave-plus-scene-controller-switch-zen32

The device is in the Z-wave database and was found with no issue but I am having some trouble understanding how the scenes will work before I start making some rules.

When I included the switch, it brought in two things, a Switch item and a Number item. The Switch item controls the relay / load no problem. The number item changes to the number of the corresponding scenes I select from the 4 buttons below each time one is selected as expected. Where I am having a hard time is figuring out how I can know if the scene buttons have been pressed 2,3,4, or 5 times simultaneously as the device is supposed to be capable of sending that back to the controller for me to trigger a rule / scene of some sort. Am I missing an item that should return this info? For instance, I would suspect that if I hit button 2 a total of 3 times simultaneously I would get back something like “2.3” from the controller which I would then be able to do something with ( I am not sure at all how this works and can’t find any documentation that makes any sense to me). It mentions the use of associations but to me that is used more if I want the switch itself to send the commands rather than have openhab do the thinking ( I might also be wrong on that but that’s what I understand from what I have read). Could it simply be that there is something wrong with the way it was included in the database or is this something that I must decode on the openhab end?

Here is the manual in case it helps and finally the entry in the Z-Wave Database.

From the Database, this is where I am confused. I believe those 7 actions are somehow supposed to be differentiated. My idea was something like this if I press buttons 1,2,3,4, or 5 times or press and hold the button. I can use press 1 for on, hold for off, and (2,3,4,5) presses for dimming levels (10%, 25%, 50%, 75%) respectively.

ok so I figured out the problem, the switch was using the “COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE_V3” command class which means it is supposed to send the data. I thought I would enable debug in Karafe and see what debug info I could find. The Debug was great.

2021-05-29 19:50:47.341 [DEBUG] [nal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 92: Application Command Request (ALIVE:DONE)
2021-05-29 19:50:47.342 [DEBUG] [ng.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 92: resetResendCount initComplete=true isDead=false
2021-05-29 19:50:47.342 [DEBUG] [ng.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 92: Incoming command class COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE, endpoint 0
2021-05-29 19:50:47.342 [DEBUG] [ng.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 92: SECURITY not supported
2021-05-29 19:50:47.343 [DEBUG] [tocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 92: Received COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE V3 CENTRAL_SCENE_NOTIFICATION
2021-05-29 19:50:47.343 [DEBUG] [dclass.ZWaveCentralSceneCommandClass] - NODE 92: Received scene 1 at key 1 [Key Released]
2021-05-29 19:50:47.343 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 92: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveCommandClassValueEvent
2021-05-29 19:50:47.344 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 92: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint=0, command class=COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE, value=1.1
2021-05-29 19:50:47.344 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 92: Updating channel state zwave:device:73235era:node92:scene_number to 1.1 [DecimalType]
2021-05-29 19:50:47.345 [DEBUG] [nal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 92: Commands processed 1.
2021-05-29 19:50:47.345 [DEBUG] [nal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 92: Checking command org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveCommandClassPayload@1d7c8833.

I noticed that the switch was in fact sending the information just as I expected it should. The problem was that OH3 GUI was rounding the number and not showing the decimal portion.

I found in a post here, that you can add metadata “State Description” to the item with a pattern of "%.1f " and it is now showing the values as I expected.

and it now shows the correct value which can be used to trigger scenes.

1 Like

For future reference you may find the log viewer useful in reading DEBUG logs

1 Like

How has this device been working out for you? It seems like the scene control will do the right thing with the exception of the LED state. The updates to the event don’t seem to give any indication if the LED is on or off, which seems problematic. What’s your experience been with this?

@daemonalec , I love it! I am about to purchase another actually. My only issue as you mention is the LED but you can keep it always on if you like. I never messed with it after I set it up. The biggest thing is to remember how you set it up. Which button is for what… How many times do I have to click it for it to do X…