ZWave Binding - Everspring ST814 min/max temperature values or ON/OFF trigger switch available as channels?

Hi community,

I am looking for a new temperature/humidity sensor and decided for the Everspring ST814 as this has also an “ON” and “OFF” trigger when reaching the min and max temperature. But in the list of openhab-2 channel types on @chriswebsite I can only find the sensor_temperature which is the current measured temperature. I did not find any channels for min and max temperature. Can I create two additional channels for the min and max temperature set points to read out these values from the sensor to leverage them in OpenHAB as min an max values for my heating control?

Reason behind is that my wife does not like using her smartphone to control the heating. If she could simply set a higher max temperature on the ST814 which would automatically be passed to OpenHAB to change the heating limits, this would raise my wife’s acceptance factor of the heating control by OpenHAB …

EDIT: Another option could be to leverage the trigger states “ON” and “OFF”. In that case I would not send the temperature values to OpenHAB but send an “ON” when the temperature falls below a given min temperature level and send an “OFF” when the temperature passes a given max temperature level???
But for this I would need a switch channel which I also can not identify from the given channel types on @chris’ list :frowning:

I am happy for any suggestions. I searched the forum but I did not find any examples for the ST814 items configuration.

Cheers
Justus

I have several of these devices, but I’ve never used the min/max functionality. You’re right that there are no channels for the min and max temperatures.

From what I understand, you would need to set config parameters 2 and 3 to set the temperature values that will cause the device to send the ON and OFF commands, respectively. Then you would need a rule to perform an action when an ON and OFF are received.

However, there’s no channel defined in the ST814 database entry to which you can link to an item, so I don’t think it will work.

@chris I’m not sure how this should be handled. Should there be a SENSOR_BINARY command class that’s linked to the BASIC command class, and defines a sensor_binary channel?

Thanks Mark for your response!!!

I thought so too that at least the channel type: binary_sensor should be the right direction to leverage the trigger. I am surprised that this function is not yet explored/exploited as this would be a very convenient and easy way to trigger heating limits.

I am also counting on @chris that he has an idea how to include that. It would be awesome and would both enhance the value of this device and provide an easy heating control without the necessity to access to the OpenHAB UIs to alter the defined min and max thresholds.

I keep my fingers crossed that there is an easy way …

You would need to set the channels as configuration channels. This is probably a bit messy, but it should work. The channel type is config_decimal.

Hello Chris,

I kindly appreciate your quick reply … I would need a little bit more guidance how to achieve this …
There two trigger set points for temperature:

1. degree value for “OFF” (which would be the max temp)
  2. degree value for “ON” (which would be the min temp)

See also the ST814 documentation on your device list:

And there are also two more for humidity …

As fas as I know the channels are configured like this

Number ZwaveWzTemp  "Temperature [%.1f]"        (gZwave)  {channel="zwave:device:CONTROLLER_ID:node#:sensor_temperature"}

How would I differentiate the two channels for min and max temperature?
Your advice to use config_decimal would only create one channel. Or do I misunderstand?

I would kindly appreciate if you could give me some more advice on how to configure this properly.

Thank you very much for your support.

Cheers
Justus

I’ve just added the first channel, so I’ll use this as a guide -:

To add a channel, click the green button below the command class name - in this case CONFIGURATION -:

Then add the channel type (config_decimal), and in the Config, add the parameter number. Give it a name, and you’re done…

Please feel free to add the other channels :slight_smile:

I understand that these channels would be used to SET the min and max temperature that the device would use as the trigger to send the ON/OFF commands, but what channel gets updated when the device sends the ON and OFF commands?

I was assuming that this was being used to control another device, so maybe I missed that need - if this needs to be fed in to OH, then it will also need a switch channel in the BASIC command class as the device will send a BASIC_SET.

Oh, ok. Then that’s up to @ohb1138 how he wants to handle it.

Hi,

you both lost me … Please first advise which UI you are using to do this configuration. I only had two sensors until now and I configured them via things and item files. But this looks much better :smiley:

Sorry for being such a noob.

And when I can follow your conversation correctly then I understand that there is not only the chance to get min and max values but also to catch the trigger ON/OFF in a switch channel to directly leverage the state in OpenHAB?

Please consider in your ongoing discussion that I need to catch up with my understanding. As said, first of all it would help to understand how to access this UI and to configure the channels for the min and max temperature values … then I might be able to understand the enhanced idea with the switch channel :slight_smile:

This is the database -:

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/31

It is not possible to GET the min/max values - if you are talking about the temperature itself. You can GET/SET the limits that you have set if that’s what you mean?

Correct.

This is the database - I hope that what I provided above is self explanatory, but if not, just let me know and I will add all other channels.

You just blew my mind with all this information :smiley:
As said before … there are now two ways:

1. Simply read our the min and max values and configure some rules in OpenHAB based on that values
  2. Create a switch channel for the trigger ON/OFF and then create rules on OpenHAB based on this channel state …

My first idea is to pass the temperature set point information to OpenHAB … which is also good for visualization of the Min and Max values in a sitemap …

The in a later stage (understanding this all much better) it might be more convenient to directly exploit the trigger with its “ON” and “OFF” state.

Therefore I would kindly appreciate if you could guide me how to create the two channels for the min and max temperature set points (As far as I understand the device right, these values are configured on the device, right?)

Yes, true … it is about getting and setting the limits !!!

Ok, is this the database on your website? Then how will the created channels get to my local installation, if I add these channels to your database? … Again sorry for being stupid (and also English is not my mother tongue … so probably I miss some of the information “between the lines” …)

Yes - the link is the one I posted above.

Once I’ve approved the database changes and exported them to the XML files, the database will need to be imported into Github, then the binding will need to be rebuilt, and then you will need to update your binding to the latest version that has the updated database definition. You will also need to delete and re-add the thing so that it picks up the latest database definition for this device.

This is the same process as always when a database update is needed - there’s nothing special for these channels in that respect.

I am not sure, if I feel prepared enough to do the changes to your database … I may try …

So, what I would do is add two decimal_config channels for the both trigger temperatures, right?

@ohb1138 If you want, I’ll finish updating the database with the config channels, as well as the switch channel. Since I have several of these devices, I’m also able to put these changes to good use.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

yes I would kindly appreciate it, if you could do that for me. I do not even have registered user at chris’ website, which is most likely needed to alter the database. I am happy that you see the general and your personal value in these enhancements and it would be great if you would add them …

… and then I would need the advise how to get the new database once approved and uploaded to Github to get the new channels to my local installation …

You see, that I have good ideas but I am limited in my capabilities to add them to the community on my own.

Thank you for your support!!!

Thanks Mark. I added the switch channel earlier, so it’s just the last 3 channels.

Just as a friendly comment: You might want to consider to do it directly for humidity and temperature … just in case anyone wants to use it for humidity as well. Then the enhancement would be complete :wink: