ZWave Binding - Everspring ST814 min/max temperature values or ON/OFF trigger switch available as channels?

Yes - that was intended - these are the remaining 3 channels I referred to (one more for temperature, and the 2 for humidity).

And by the way: You both are awesome to be so dedicated and quick in your response and support!!!

I kindly appreciate that!!!

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll do the remaining channels.

@ohb1138 One thing to note on the use of the config channels to set min/max trigger temperatures… Since the ST814 is a battery-powered device that only wakes up periodically (usually once an hour), when you use one of these config channels to set the min or max temp, the device will not receive the temperature immediately. The temp will be queued until the device wakes up, at which time the binding will send it to the device.

The frequency at which the device wakes up can be changed, but the trade-off will be battery life. The more frequently the device wakes up, the shorter the battery life.

1 Like

Thanks @mhilbush - I will do a database update this evening, so it should be included in the snapshot version tonight/tomorrow.

I’ve made all the changes and did a publish. To summarize, there now are channels for:

• the temperature that will trigger an ON command
  • the temperature that will trigger an OFF command
  • the humidity that will trigger an ON command
  • the humidity that will trigger an OFF command
  • receiving the ON/OFF commands when the above thresholds are reached

One thing occurs to me, however. If you set both temperature and humidity triggers, I don’t think it’s possible to know which value (temperature or humidity) generated the ON or OFF command.

Correct.

I wonder if we shouldn’t add some of the info/description you put above to either the Usage section in the overview part of the DB entry, or (and/or) add it to the Overview section of the channel entry itself. Then it will end up in the online documentation :slight_smile: .

Hi Mark,

this is ok for me. For quick heating I already have a “panic” button :wink:

@ohb1138 To pick up these changes, you will need to

• update the zwave binding in your openHAB system
  • delete and readd your ST814 thing(s) (note you do not need to do a zwave network exclude/include)
  • wait for the device to complete initialization (or wake it up manually if you want it to initialize more quickly)
  • create items for the new channels
  • create a rule to handle when you get an ON or OFF command on the item linked to the switch_binary channel

Remember that when you send values to the items linked to the temp and humidity channels, the device won’t receive those values until it wakes up (either at the wake up interval, or by manually waking it up).

Also, I’m not sure how you were planning to set the trigger temp values. I suppose you could use a setpoint widget in the sitemap.

Good point. I’ll do that.

1 Like

I updated the overview section on each of the new channels.

1 Like

Thanks Mark,
How will the channels be called? For the sensor temperature it is sensor_temperature but how will the two min and max temperature set point channels be named?

config_decimal_param2
config_decimal_param3
config_decimal_param4
config_decimal_param5

:+1:

Hi Mark @mhilbush and Chris @chris,
due to some new year festivities - by the way: Happy New Year!!! - I could not continue. But today I will download the latest 2.5 docker snapshot image and test the new channels in the next days.
I like to thank you again for your quick and great support. I keep you posted on my progress.

As I have also some trouble with my Devolo humidity and temperature sensor since my migration to OH 2.4 release build two weeks ago, I might use the switch to 2.5 to figure this issue out as well … so exciting project for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Mark @mhilbush,

as you own also some ST814 you may be able to tell me what I am doing wrong getting the min and max temperature values to OpenHAB. Using this version of the zwave binding in the snapshot that I pulled yesterday:

219 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.5.0.201901011334     │ ZWave Binding

I created the following items in my zwave items file:

Number ZwaveESMinTemp  "Min. Temperature [%d]"        (gZwave,gTempEG)  {channel="zwave:device:ZWAVE_BRIDGE_ID:node4:config_decimal_param2"}
Number ZwaveESMaxTemp  "Max. Temperatur [%d]"        (gZwave,gTempEG)  {channel="zwave:device:ZWAVE_BRIDGE_ID:node4:config_decimal_param3"}

But I do not get the values displayed in my sitemap:

Text item=ZwaveESMinTemp  label="MIN Temp. ES [%d °C]" icon="temperature"
     Text item=ZwaveESMaxTemp  label="MAX Temp. ES [%d °C]" icon="temperature"

I first used %.1f to interpret the value as floating point character and then I tried %d for data character but I don’t get any values. I have set the values on the device and I can see my given values in HABmin in the thing configuration parameters. I just fail to pass them to the items.

Do you have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks! Justus

You should understand that these are configuration parameters, so you need to treat them as such. This means that they will be integers, and will not be calibrated in the same way as other temperatures.

I’ve not looked at the ST814 definition, but if it has a resolution of 0.1C, and you want to set it to 30 C, then you would need to set a value of 300.

I’m not sure that this will update the sitemap - or at least only if the configuration parameter is read back, then you might get an update - it is not polled.

As an example, there’s a config parameter defined as a channel on my thermostat. It shows on the sitemap because the binding gets it’s value at startup during initialization (it’s a mains-powered device) and whenever I change it (which is infrequently because it controls the schedule versus away mode).

In the case of the ST814, I would expect similar behavior, but with an important exception. Because this is a battery-powered device, the value won’t get set immediately at binding startup. Rather, I expect it will get set the first time the device wakes up after startup (which is when initialization completes for battery-powered devices). Further, if you defined your items after startup, the values not will get set. You could confirm this by restarting openHAB, then manually waking up the device. After performing those two steps, I would expect the values to show up on the sitemap.

@chris Does this sound right?

Yep :slight_smile:

Ok, understood.

The values can be changed in 1 digit increments between 1 and 99 (99 = disable) degrees. As these are numbers anyway, should I be using %.0f to feed the items?

Do I understand it right that I should not use self defined items in config files in that case but configure the items through OpenHAB (PaperUI or HABmin) to have them initialized at startup and then I do not have to do the restart/wakeup stuff described below?

And when I change these min/max config_params at the device then the update get passed to OpenHAB in the normal update interval, right?

It should not matter how you configure them. I think Marks point was that these channels will only be updated during binding initialisation, so if you didn’t have the items configured at that point, they may not be initialised.

What do you mean by “the normal update interval”? I don’t think these will be updated? Why would you want them to be updated? The device can’t change them can it?

The device itself can’t change it but you can manual change them by the buttons. There is an edit mode where you can change these values on the device … and then it would be great if the change will be submitted to OpenHAB … Actually I thought that at least a change would trigger an update to send the new value(s) to OpenHAB???