Important message first - upcoming changes to the ZWave binding will require that existing things are deleted, and re-added so that the binding picks up the latest thing definitions. You don’t need to exclude and re-include the devices from the network, and in most cases the devices should look the same to the user so channels should be the same (the database is the same for all versions).
For some time now, most features and fixes in the ZWave binding have been added to a
development branch of the binding with only major issues being fixed in the
master branch - and of course database updates have been maintained. I think the time has now (finally!) come to merge this branch into master - it brings with it some new features, and works a little differently in some areas, so users may see some noticable changes…
Firstly - the major enhancements -:
- Security has been added using the S0 security class. This should allow all devices supporting security to be included into the binding securely.
- Transaction code has been rewritten to hopefully improve the way transactions are managed.
- The way associations work has been updated. This is a very messy area in ZWave as there are 2 overlapping command classes, each with multiple versions that all work very differently. This fluidity in the specification means that there are many devices that don’t work exactly as expected - hopefully this will improve the situation for most devices at least.
- The notification (alarm) command class has been improved to reduce reliance on the database to define all supported events.
- Color command class has been improved.
- UoM (Units of Measure) has been added to some reports - eg temperature units are now handled automatically depending on your unit/location preferences.
There are probably a lot of other smaller changes, and while this has been quite well tested now, with many people using this version for some time, I’m sure there will be some issues as more people migrate. The association changes mentioned above may cause some devices to send reports in a different way, which may mean some channels could change on some devices (note the excessive use of words like “could” and “may” - there are over 800 devices now supported by the binding, so it’s hard to be sure that nothing will change ).
So, to reiterate, this binding will require that existing things are deleted, and re-added so that the binding picks up the latest thing definitions. You don’t need to exclude and re-include the devices from the network, and in most cases the devices should look the same to the user so channels should be the same (the database is the same for all versions). If you don’t do this because you’re reading this message after I merge the binding, it’s not the end of the world, but the binding won’t work until you do this.
I don’t intend to merge this immediately - probably it will be merged in early September to allow people a week or so to prepare and ask any questions etc…
For those wanting some background or reference material, feel free to read the following thread (it’s not really recommended unless you can’t sleep at night ).