Zwave - Thing Properties to item?

well so this looks like a bug then. But this was for me in that way for endless releases of the binding from many many months. so its not a recent or new thing.

Ok, but if no-one reports it, then it’s still new, right - no matter how long it has existed :wink:

1 Like

sure :wink:
I would have expected you have some nodes out of battery as well on your large network and assumed if it was a bug it would be already known.

so thanks for explaining and I hope you can find it :slight_smile:

Sure. Doesn’t the wakeup update (some) linked Items with “still closed” or “battery ok”, effectively?

not sure … but typical zwave device have a parameter to exactly do what you said.
so report e.g. closed again after some time.

so yes … I can create about 100 rules for 100 zwave devices to track “received update” on each most prominent channel.of those.

I hoped for 100 items … in a group and track that …
but I take what I get :wink:

There’s a profile to do this. The selected channel doesn’t need to link to any other Item. You’d only need one channel and Item per device.

No - not really.

We are getting hung up on the wakeup. The point is that a device should send SOMETHING to the binding (be it battery level, a status, a door open, a temperature - something) within twice the wakeup period. If the binding doesn’t receive any of these, or the wakeup message, then it should set the thing offline.

This is not just about the wakeup being received.

What parameter is that you mean?

1 Like

sorry this was to rossko a little out of context to the original question.
just to catch updates on a channel even if the item state does not change is for most battery devices possible as I think relly the most have SOME parameter for status update after a given time even if the the device was not triggered
likeimage
its of course depending on the device and different for all of them

BUT
this has nothing to do with the orignal topic :wink:
Definately I have devices with no battery that should be Offline for months due to no com at all … but never changed to Offline

Then please raise a bug for this in GH.

1 Like

:pray:

Do you have a link or something that explains that “profile”?

for others stumbling here and my future me :wink:

1 Like

@chris

just to also show the vice versa effect I mentioned here is some event.log part
Node10 = Flood1 items

so e.g. you see the node updates some items at 4:51 just to be reported as offline at 4:53
and afterwards toggles between offline and online

of course this is no debug log and there could be non successful messages in the debug
however just from the timespan of 2 minutes between a successful message until its considered as offline looks unlikely

2020-02-08 01:29:42.450 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zwave:device:512:node10' has been updated.
2020-02-08 01:29:42.781 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - FLOOD1_temp changed from 23.86 to 23.58
2020-02-08 04:51:23.438 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zwave:device:512:node10' has been updated.

2020-02-08 04:51:23.701 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - FLOOD1_temp changed from 23.58 to 22.99
2020-02-08 04:51:38.565 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - FLOOD1_battery changed from 99 to 98
2020-02-08 04:53:02.462 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:512:node10' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller

2020-02-08 06:32:13.407 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:512:node10' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller to ONLINE
2020-02-08 06:32:13.410 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zwave:device:512:node10' has been updated.
2020-02-08 06:33:19.136 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:512:node10' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller
2020-02-08 08:13:04.319 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:512:node10' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller to ONLINE
2020-02-08 08:13:04.321 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zwave:device:512:node10' has been updated.
2020-02-08 08:14:07.201 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:512:node10' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller
2020-02-08 09:55:01.088 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:512:node10' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller

This is almost certainly caused by communications with the device timing out after 3 retries - this is another way that devices will be set to OFFLINE.

could be true for that device. this one was always troublesome with reception despite having 40 neighbors

Any zombie nodes that can be discovered but do not actually exist? Thhey can cause stability issues unless removed from the controller.

no I cleaned up everything these days with the pc controller tool

Note that this should be opened in the ZWave issue list - not in openhab issues.

1 Like

@shorty707 Please also take a look at this thread where this was also discussed: https://community.openhab.org/t/oh2-read-property-of-a-thing-in-rule

There i mentioned a method to get the properties using an http request to the json interface. I currently use this method to get the zwave_lastwakeup date. I use this to check if my Fibaro smoke sensor are still working because they loose the connection regularly for some reason. (I never found a solution for this) And because they are battery powered the status stays online for a long time.