After Migration from 4.0.0 to 4.1.1 openhab totaly down is in Nirvana / working with openhabian

maybe …

There are new post asking for ssd support… rasp 5 or others support SSD in the mean time

I’ve just seen your edit saying that you got your system working. Sometimes it does take several reboots and clearing the cache to get the system running after an upgrade. I’ve found OH4.1 to be very very stable, the most stable release I’ve used since I started on 1.4. Or was it 1.6? I can’t remember, it was so long ago.

Have the errors with the openweathermap, shelly and upnp things stopped appearing in the log? If not I would recommend tidying up those things/items to get a nice clean log. It will help you see any other errors or warnings in the log in future.

You may have already done this but I find it useful to configure logging of my most used bindings to separate log files. You can do this by editing the log4j2.xml file and adding two sections:

<!-- Z-Wave -->
		<RollingRandomAccessFile append="true" fileName="${sys:openhab.logdir}/zwave.log" filePattern="${sys:openhab.logdir}/zwave.log.%i" immediateFlush="true" name="ZWAVE">
				<PatternLayout>
						<Pattern>%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%-5.5p] [%-50.50c] - %m%n</Pattern>
				</PatternLayout>
				<Policies>
						<SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="10 MB"/>
				</Policies>
				<DefaultRolloverStrategy max="4"/>
		</RollingRandomAccessFile>

and:

<!-- ZWAVE -->
		<Logger additivity="false" level="DEBUG" name="org.openhab.binding.zwave">
				<AppenderRef ref="ZWAVE"/>
		</Logger>

What is the issue with the zwave devices you use? If they aren’t supported by the binding there is a DB of devices you can check to see if they’re supported. There’s also a very interesting thread on using zwave-js-ui instead of the zwave binding that you might find useful.

I’m sorry you’ve had a frustrating time with the upgrade and felt you were railroaded into migrating from an NVMe to an SD card for no good reason to fix your issue. I’ve found the community here (with one notable exception) to be incredibly helpful and generous with their time. Please don’t let this experience put you off OpenHAB and push you away to another system. That is the exact opposite of what anybody here wants.

However, if you do decide to move away I wish you all the best.

1 Like

You will never get it from openhabian.
But just simply flash your raspberry ssd with rpi-imager (press ctrl-shift-x to preconfigure your image) and follow these steps (see also openhab download page):

curl -fsSL "https://openhab.jfrog.io/artifactory/api/gpg/key/public" | gpg --dearmor > openhab.gpg
sudo mkdir /usr/share/keyrings
sudo mv openhab.gpg /usr/share/keyrings
sudo chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r /usr/share/keyrings/openhab.gpg
echo 'deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/openhab.gpg] https://openhab.jfrog.io/artifactory/openhab-linuxpkg stable main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list

sudo apt update
sudo apt install openjdk-17-jre-headless
sudo apt install openhab

It is really hazzle-free.

I didn’t railroad anyone, that’s not okay to blame me, in particular not so from someone late to the show. Read thread history properly before putting up claims.

The original issue and my recommendation have nothing to do with SSDs - well, except for the fact that (re)installing doesn’t work on SSD and of course I only ever recommend going for a supported solution hence on SD. If you read properly, I even recommended to use fresh SD so the original system remains untouched and keeps being available as a fallback.

Reinstalling indeed is and remains to be the fastest way in situations like this where you don’t know what’s the file causing this.
Because there’s no non standard JARs in a fresh install (which is what the original issue is about).

Seems something has brought that jar back in.
If I was to guess you used openhab-cli backup --full but you did not tell what exactly you did to “backup” the old and “restore” to the new system so I cannot tell.
B & R via standard openHABian menu would not have used --full. Maybe try without that if you did something else.
With the backup file at hand, you can also unzip -t config.zip | grep -i iconify first, maybe you spot the jar in question so you can locate and delete it from the file system.

“I didn’t railroad anyone”

Well…

sounds like a bit to me

Hi,
What is the issue with the zwave devices you use? If they aren’t supported by the binding there is a DB of devices you can check to see if they’re supported. There’s also a very interesting thread on using zwave-js-ui instead of the zwave binding that you might find useful.

The problem … in my eyes there are min. two:
all z-wave devices has work bevor migration… so why shouldn’t they now not working. Before they were in the database… now not? What changes were done ? What causes this new behavior of z-wave devices? (Devices were old! Z-wave, i guess, is dead. There comes no new devices…
All devices were shown as online (as usual!) in the UI.
BUT
No communication at all. Wether send out a command nor receiving a status ore measurement value : so what is the sense behind showing a device as online when there isn’t any communication. (This is well known since 1.9… and I fixed it often with serveral …
first I will clear my log and increase as you suggested my log level

Your offer to install another zwave instance seems to complicated for me. Sorry. As you very good recognize: my frustration level is reached. I don’t want to expand the instable system. That costs a lot of time. Output a highly complex system for which anybody can take responsibilty to stay stable if parts are migrated. I think it’s a approache to become a stable zwave for actual code but cost to much time.
nonetheless thank you for pointing me to other approaches. As i said i have to decide where to spend my rare time on.

Again thank you very much that you take your time to support me.
Cheers Stef

If you update the log4j2.xml file as I described earlier you’ll have all zwave messages output to a separate log file. I find this very useful because I can then use “watch tail -n 40 /var/log/zwave.log” to see the activity with the zwave binding.

It might help to delete the zwave thing and recreate it, don’t delete the items so they can be linked to the same channels. I believe some channels get renamed between releases. I have several fibaro dimmers, NeoCoolcam motion sensors and fibaro door sensors. They all work fine on OH4.1.

If you set up zwave logging to a separate file and if you know the node numbers of the zwave devices you have an issue with you’ll be able to confirm whether there are any zwave messages for those nodes.

I can read the thread perfectly well, thank you. I can see many posts from forum members trying to help, not trying to make the OP waste time migrating to an SD card which only added to his frustration. The sensible thing to do would be to help with the immediate issues and then kindly suggest moving to a supported configuration afterward. Instead, more rather than less frustration was created which contributed to the OP seriously considering moving to another system entirely.

I’ve italicised what I think are the key aspects of the above paragraph. There’s a lesson there for anyone sufficiently motivated to see it.

So they should work after, agree. There haven’t been material changes to the zwave binding in years (Mostly just device updates along the way)

This is a start. With Zwave all the communication is in the debug layer. The files get long, so the separate zwave logger is a good suggestion. There is a debug viewer here. If you haven’t given up completely, post a debug while trying some commands I could take a quick look.

Lastly what kind of Zstick (or Rpi Hat) are you using?

hi, I´m using a AEOTEC Z-Stick GEN5

I included in
/var/lib/openhab/etc

at the botton the lines you advised me:

log4j2.xml (6.4 KB)

but the log file :slight_smile: /var/log/openhab/zwave.log is empty
creation time is 16:19 today ist the time of the first service restart after changing the XML

So where is my fault that i didn´t get a log?

Sorry I did not undersstand what you mean by debug log viewer - can you explin what i should send?

Thank you
Cheers

There are different sections in the log4j2.xml file. The following goes into the “Appenders” section

<!-- Z-Wave -->
		<RollingRandomAccessFile append="true" fileName="${sys:openhab.logdir}/zwave.log" filePattern="${sys:openhab.logdir}/zwave.log.%i" immediateFlush="true" name="ZWAVE">
				<PatternLayout>
				</PatternLayout>
				<Policies>
				</Policies>

The following goes in the “Loggers” section:

<!-- ZWAVE -->
		</Logger>

So your file would look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><Configuration monitorInterval="10">

<Appenders>
		<!-- Console appender not used by default (see Root logger AppenderRefs) -->
		<Console name="STDOUT">
			<PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%-5.5p] [%-36.36c] - %m%n"/>
		</Console>

<!-- Rolling file appender -->
		<RollingFile fileName="${sys:openhab.logdir}/openhab.log" filePattern="${sys:openhab.logdir}/openhab.log.%i.gz" name="LOGFILE">
			<PatternLayout pattern="%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%-5.5p] [%-36.36c] - %m%n"/>
			<Policies>
				<OnStartupTriggeringPolicy/>
				<SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="16 MB"/>
			</Policies>
			<DefaultRolloverStrategy max="7"/>
		</RollingFile>

<!-- Event log appender -->
		<RollingRandomAccessFile fileName="${sys:openhab.logdir}/events.log" filePattern="${sys:openhab.logdir}/events.log.%i.gz" name="EVENT">
			<PatternLayout pattern="%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%-5.5p] [%-36.36c] - %m%n"/>
			<Policies>
				<SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="16 MB"/>
			</Policies>

<!-- Audit file appender -->
		<RollingRandomAccessFile fileName="${sys:openhab.logdir}/audit.log" filePattern="${sys:openhab.logdir}/audit.log.%i.gz" name="AUDIT">
			<Policies>
				<SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="8 MB"/>
			</Policies>

<!-- Z-Wave -->
				<PatternLayout>
				</PatternLayout>
				<Policies>
				</Policies>

<!-- OSGi appender -->
		<PaxOsgi filter="*" name="OSGI"/>
	</Appenders>

<Loggers>

<!-- Root logger configuration -->
		<Root level="WARN">
			<AppenderRef ref="LOGFILE"/>
			<AppenderRef ref="OSGI"/>
		</Root>

<!-- Karaf Shell logger -->
		<Logger level="OFF" name="org.apache.karaf.shell.support">
			<AppenderRef ref="STDOUT"/>
		</Logger>

<!-- Security audit logger -->
		<Logger additivity="false" level="INFO" name="org.apache.karaf.jaas.modules.audit">
			<AppenderRef ref="AUDIT"/>
		</Logger>

<!-- openHAB specific logger configuration -->

<Logger level="INFO" name="org.openhab"/>

<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ItemStateEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ItemAddedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ItemRemovedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ItemChannelLinkRemovedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ChannelDescriptionChangedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ThingStatusInfoEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ThingAddedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ThingUpdatedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ThingRemovedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.InboxUpdatedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.RuleStatusInfoEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.RuleAddedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.RuleRemovedEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.StartlevelEvent"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.AddonEvent"/>

<Logger additivity="false" level="INFO" name="openhab.event">
			<AppenderRef ref="EVENT"/>
			<AppenderRef ref="OSGI"/>
		</Logger>

<Logger level="ERROR" name="javax.jmdns"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="org.jupnp"/>

<!-- This suppresses all Maven download issues from the log when doing feature installations -->
		<!-- as we are logging errors ourselves in a nicer way anyhow. -->
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver"/>

<!-- Filters known issues of pax-web (issue link to be added here). -->
		<!-- Can be removed once the issues are resolved in an upcoming version. -->
		<Logger level="OFF" name="org.ops4j.pax.web.pax-web-runtime"/>

<!-- Filters known issues of lsp4j, see -->
		<!-- https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues/4639 -->
		<!-- https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues/4629 -->
		<!-- https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues/4643 -->
		<Logger level="OFF" name="org.eclipse.lsp4j"/>

<!-- Filters warnings for events that could not be delivered to a disconnected client. -->
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.sse.SseEventSinkImpl"/>

<!-- Filters warnings from broken connections during startup -->
		<!-- https://github.com/openhab/openhab-core/issues/2998 -->
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain"/>

<!-- Filters known issues of KarServiceImpl, see -->
		<!-- https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/issues/519#issuecomment-351944506 -->
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="org.apache.karaf.kar.internal.KarServiceImpl"/>

<!-- Filters warnings about unavailable ciphers when JCE is not installed, see -->
		<!-- https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/issues/999 -->
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="org.apache.karaf.shell.ssh.SshUtils"/>

<!-- Filters known issues of javax.mail, see -->
		<!-- https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/issues/5530 -->
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="javax.mail"/>

<!-- Filters disconnection warnings of the ChromeCast Java API, see -->
		<!-- https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/issues/3770 -->
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="su.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.Channel"/>

<!-- Added by Karaf to prevent debug logging loops, see -->
		<!-- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5559 -->
		<Logger level="WARN" name="org.apache.sshd"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.ResourceUtils"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.Res"/>
		<Logger level="ERROR" name="org.openhab.binding.shelly"/>
		<Logger name="org.openhab.binding.miio"/>

<!-- ZWAVE -->
		</Logger>
	</Loggers>

</Configuration>

Ok thanks !

1. Well, first we have to get some logs. (There has to be something if the nodes are showing online.)
  2. Two forks on the logs
    a) upload to this thread, so I can look at them
    b) on the self-help side, after clicking the link above you should be here: (1-add file, 2-log view)

That‘s correct and that is why this is such a great community. Anybody here who is willing to help does not care at all whether you use an SD card or SSD, except of one person.

As such, this statement

is simply false. Correct is, that you loose support of the maintainer of openhabian.

Zwave is operational… during reinstallation /etc/udev/… wasn’t correct. (Make me wonder, why zstick was shown as online as all devices :slightly_frowning_face:)
Either owner rights of /ttyACM0 and openhabian are not member of “dialout”…
After setup this correctly and 3 reboots … now it seems that the system and zwave runs.
Some errors in the log left…

I thank you very much for your time and all your support aperla12

May I come back with questions, if I didn’t find reasons for the other log issues

Cheers
Stef

1 Like

I will answer to this discussion…

In my eyes this is separate

Are you able to solve the problem?
If not, the only recommendation I can think of is by disabling/removing all those bundles which raise a problem in your log file such as habpanel, astro, openweathermap, etc
If you are not able to remove them via GUI, then start openhab console

sudo openhab-cli console

and find out if all bundles are up and running by:

bundle:list

Stop or even uninstall bundles which are not active (be careful not to uninstall system bundles) or which have created the problems.

I have stil problems with z-wave… Brand new install on SD-Kart is working (but not all restored from previous system!)
What I see in the log:
When I restart the system with “sudo systemctl restart openhab.service”
I got always the following WARN:

2024-03-04 15:13:59.060 [WARN ] [service.spi.util.WebContainerManager] - Can’t get a WebContainer service from {org.osgi.service.http.HttpService, org.ops4j.pax.web.service.WebContainer}={org.ops4j.pax.web.log.ncsa.extended=true, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.keystore.password=, service.scope=bundle, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.key.password=, org.ops4j.pax.web.session.cookie.name=JSESSIONID, org.osgi.service.http.connector.name=default, org.ops4j.pax.web.enc.iterationcount=1000, org.ops4j.pax.web.log.ncsa.file=yyyy_mm_dd.request.log, org.ops4j.pax.web.server.eventDispatcherThreadCount=1, org.osgi.service.http.checkForwardedHeaders=false, org.ops4j.pax.web.enc.suffix=), org.ops4j.pax.web.digestAuth.maxNonceAge=60000, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.ciphersuites.included=, org.ops4j.pax.web.session.url=jsessionid, org.ops4j.pax.web.formAuth.errorRedirect=false, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.ciphersuites.excluded=^.(MD5|SHA|SHA1)$,^TLS_RSA.$,^SSL_.$,^.NULL.$,^.anon.*, org.ops4j.pax.web.enc.prefix=ENC(, org.ops4j.pax.web.server.maxThreads=50, org.ops4j.pax.web.validatePeerCerts=false, service.id=168, org.ops4j.pax.web.session.cookie.maxAge=-1, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.truststore.password=, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.session.cacheSize=-1, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.truststore.type=JKS, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.keystore.type=JKS, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.session.enabled=true, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.protocol=TLSv1.3, org.osgi.service.http.port=8080, org.ops4j.pax.web.log.ncsa.file.date.format=yyyy-MM-dd, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.renegotiationLimit=-1, org.osgi.service.http.secure.enabled=true, org.osgi.service.http.enabled=true, org.ops4j.pax.web.server.idleTimeout=300000, org.ops4j.pax.web.log.ncsa.retaindays=90, org.ops4j.pax.web.log.ncsa.logtimezone=GMT, org.ops4j.pax.web.enc.algorithm=PBEWithHmacSHA256AndAES_128, org.ops4j.pax.web.validateCerts=false, org.ops4j.pax.web.config.files=/usr/share/openhab/runtime/etc/jetty.xml, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.renegotiationAllowed=true, org.ops4j.pax.web.digestAuth.maxNonceCount=1024, org.ops4j.pax.web.enableOCSP=false, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.clientauth.needed=false, org.ops4j.pax.web.enc.enabled=false, org.osgi.service.http.port.secure=8443, javax.servlet.context.tempdir=/var/lib/openhab/tmp, org.ops4j.pax.web.enableCRLDP=false, org.ops4j.pax.web.server.connector.idleTimeout=30000, org.ops4j.pax.web.session.timeout=10, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.clientauth.wanted=false, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.protocols.excluded=SSL,SSLv2,SSLv2Hello,SSLv3, service.bundleid=230, org.ops4j.pax.web.server.minThreads=2, org.ops4j.pax.web.session.cookie.secure=false, org.ops4j.pax.web.enc.masterpassword=, org.ops4j.pax.web.log.ncsa.append=true, org.osgi.service.http.secure.connector.name=secureDefault, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.session.timeout=-1, org.ops4j.pax.web.listening.addresses=0.0.0.0, org.ops4j.pax.web.log.ncsa.buffered=true, org.ops4j.pax.web.session.cookie.sameSite=unset, org.ops4j.pax.web.log.ncsa.enabled=false, org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.protocols.included=, org.ops4j.pax.web.session.cookie.httpOnly=true, org.ops4j.pax.web.server.showStacks=false}

and tail stops!
Because I spend a lot of time to eliminate erros and warnings I want to get rid of that WARN. What can I do?
Thanks
Cheers
Stef

BTW If I set a password in the “openhabian.conf” prior to install for customized the setup. The system ignore during install. so password for openhabian wasn´t change. Why?

What support?

If I read all answers in this threat correctly… where is the “support of the maintainers” ?
There is only a hint and suggestion from Markus Storm Maintainer am I correct?

I thought you reported above that zwave was working?

If still problem refer to my post regarding a debug log.

The warning log posted directly above is not related to zwave.
I’m not a maintainer or knowledgeable about that message, but it looks like some sort of security. Are you able to call up OH from your various devices? Is it just a WARN on startup or does it keep happening?

Not sure if I understand you correctly…
All I wanted to say if you run openhabIAN (note: not openhab!) on SSD you won‘t get support of very few people (maybe just one). I haven‘t noticed yet that anybody else cares whether you install it on an SD card or SSD.