Attempting to send a state update of an item which doesn't exist

After the migration to OH3 I have this one line that keeps coming back now and then in the openhab.log
2020-12-28 21:09:15.648 [WARN ] [e.internal.SseItemStatesEventBuilder] - Attempting to send a state update of an item which doesn't exist: undefined

I have not found any logic so far in when it happens. I don’t have any other errors in the logs.

Is there a way to debug this further as to know which item could be gone missing ?

2 Likes

Have you tried enabling DEBUG logging for that part so your system can tell you more about what it sees?

Yes, I set the log level to DEBUG for e.internal.SseItemStatesEventBuilder but it still only shows this warning.

I also see these messages from time to time. I haven’t yet found out where they come from and if something does not work as it should due to this.

1 Like

Are you also using the keypad widget by ysc? This seems to be causing the messages, as it uses an item name of “undefined” when no item is set in the widget config.

I get these as well. I haven’t been able to replicate them, but as I am very slowly migrating to OH3 and messing with the GUI a lot, I’ve noticed that it happens when I have been adding/linking items to channels.

I have so far installed the Astro, HTTP, opensprinkler, icloud and NTP bindings. In the GUI I have only created things and items, linked them and added transformations. I also created a very basic page with toggle and label cards.

So this isn’t too helpful, but at least its further validation that it does occur.

I also get these messages.
In my opinion it occurs by accessing the new GUI.
But I also don’t know where it really comes from.

comes from widgets with empty item

4 Likes

Oh man that saved the day. Is there any way to get a more detailed log message for those kind of errors/warnings? Or is there a global search for the UI mode in openhab3?

Sorry, but what do you exactly mean?
In my case this error pops up for items which have been deleted months ago (file based config).
Shouldn’t these items be removed from auto generated widgets?
(I did not create mainUI custom widgets, because I am on HABpanel)

1 Like

Thanks. Solved it. :smiley:

Hi. Could you elaborate? Also seeing this issue with widgets but can’t see how to fix it.

I’m just an openHAB beginner so I might not be of much help.

You might have something in a UI element/widget which is refering to an item that you may have since deleted or changed the name of. For me it was an item reference embedded in the subtitle object of a label card. Found it by looking in the yaml-code of the widget. Check your pages and sitemaps. Hope it makes sense.

How can we modify the widget so these warning doesn’t appear? I like the way to use widgets for multiple purposes and not filling in all properties.

I “solved” this by adding an item:

Number undefined "bug"

Can you elaborate?

I simply created an openhab item with the name of “undefined”.

This happens for example if you have an item in your widget which is defined by a prop, like:

component: oh-label-cell
config:
  actionItem: =props.vItem
  action: toggle
  actionCommand: OFF

If prop is not set, you get this log entry:

[WARN ] [e.internal.SseItemStatesEventBuilder] - Attempting to send a state update of an item which doesn't exist: undefined
1 Like

Can you suppress the error? I have a couple if ‘general’ widgets for rooms but not all rooms have all the props set…

as magcode said