Best Air Conditioner for OpenHAB integration in 2023

Going for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and the airconwithme/intesis WiFi adapter gives you full local control and is fully supported by openHAB as we have a binding for those adapters. They might be used in different brands as well, which makes them compatible too.

See my last post, I am running a multi split system.

1 Like

Apparently newer daikin units no longer allow local control. See GitHub - Apollon77/daikin-controller-cloud: Connect and Control Daikin Cloud devices

The newer Daikin devices sold since 2020 contain a newer Wifi Adapter (e.g. BRP069C4x) which only connects to the Daikin Cloud and is no longer reachable locally. These devices are only controllable with the Daikin Onecta App.
This library allows to initially (hopefully once) retrieve tokens by using a proxy to login to the Daikin Cloud. After that these tokens can be used and refreshed to interact with teh devices.

And then there’s this: GitHub - revk/ESP32-Faikin: ESP32 based module to control Daikin aircon units

I was lucky I got my daikin unit before their move to the cloud, so it works well with openhab’s addon.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning! Now Intesis gateways are starting to look more like the best solution.

It’s not clear to me what type of air conditioner you’re looking for. I’ve got Mitsubishi ductless split units and I control them over wifi using cheap esp wifi boards. It rocks.

There are a few different options that make use of this library: GitHub - geoffdavis/esphome-mitsubishiheatpump: ESPHome Climate Component for Mitsubishi Heatpumps using direct serial connection

I use the one integrated into the esphome tool.

1 Like

@jonnydev13 thanks for the info! I’m trying to find out what’s the best type for me. I’m adding mitsubishi + esp wifi as a potential option to my list.

Maybe worth checking - Mitsubishi Heat Pump - have this in place for years now (4 ACs) and works like a charm. To add - EspEasy plugin contains a rewritten library (based on GitHub - SwiCago/HeatPump: Arduino library to control Mitsubishi Heat Pumps via connector cn105) which should result in faster status updates (~1s).

1 Like

@crnjan thanks for the opinion! You got it connected over a wifi or over a cable?

@HFM How do you control them? Wifi or Cable?

The esp module is connected with the AC unit using a cn105 connector and that is used to power the esp unit + do a serial communication with the AC unit. ESP module is then connected via wifi. Again, I’m using the EspEasy firmware for my setup (since it includes the plugin out-of-the-box) and you can access and setup the ESP module via build in web interface (+ do OTA, …), but I guess other firmwares would do the trick too.

Soldered look like

or

as an example - and I just added that inside the AC and closed it down, so it’s not visible anymore (it’s pretty small so should not be that hard to find place for ESP module within AC unit).

And last but not least - there is an open git issue where people report what unit(s) they tested with.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that the following contraints might be even more important of the way you are connecting with OH:

• Number of Split to be installed might limit your choice
  • External look of the slit my limit your installation choices (my wife did not allow a Mitsubishi and I only coul install the DAIKIN with wi-fi adapter with OH binding well integrated).

At the end it is a matter of the right compromise.

1 Like

For control of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries ACs you could also have a look on MHI-AC-Ctrl

2 Likes

It is wifi.

1 Like

Samsung Windfree? I have two multisplits in my house. They have a build in Wi-Fi and integrated into Smartthings, which should have binding to OH if I remember right. If not, you can integrate them via Node-RED, as Smartthings is open to 3rd party. Offcourse it will go through cloud, but you don’t need to learn BACNet or Modbus to control them, end they are really nice looking and silent.

1 Like

@PrzemoF please be aware that there are two different brands with totally different AC units that have Mitsubishi in its name:

The DIY control methods described in @jonnydev13 comment and @crnjan comment are for Mitsubishi Electric AC models.
On the other hand DIY control method referred in @absalom comment it’s for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries AC models.
In relation to Intesis Wifi Adapters they are for specific AC manufacturers and models. If you chose this local control option you need to purchase the adapter specifically for you AC brand and model that use the ASCII protocol supported by the Intesis binding (see @hmerk comment)

2 Likes

@Artyom_Syomushkin Thanks for the info, but I love programming and messing with electronics - BACnet/Modbus (I’m a BMS engineer…) - no problem with that :heart_eyes:. Having in a device controlled by a cloud over internet - no way :slight_smile: The only would be the nextcloud on my own server :blush:
@eurico_borges Thank you! I was sure it’s the same company!!

1 Like

Well me too, but the point is that hobby shall not become a job - e.g once project is finished, it shall work with minimum support for years. Today you like messing with electronics and tomorrow you just have no time and the thing just still needs working.
Anyway just to think about it, but this was one of the reasons I went away from Bacnet/Modbus solution. Together with other points that industrial/commercial models have less wider product portfolio, are more expensive and have lesser WAF.

1 Like

Very good point, but I’m a BMS engineer, so too late for hobby-job link :grinning: Also there are some stories about cloud service being down every night for unknown reason or company A taking over company B and shutting down the service (Revolv/Nest/Google example)
Do you mind if I ask what were the problems witn BACnet/Modbus solution? Or you just decided to not use it during the “research stage”?

This might not be applicable to the OP, but for those living in Australia/New Zealand, I can describe my setup.

I have a Mitsubishi Electric Air Conditioner on the wall in my office. It has the MAC-568IF-E Wi-Fi Interface built in which supports the Echonet Lite protocol. There is an Openhab Binding for Echonet lite.

In another part of the house, we have a four zone Fujitsu ducted system controlled by an Airtouch4 (third party) control system. The Airtouch appears to be one of the most popular in this part of the globe and provides a hard-wired connection to the Fujitsu (and other brands). There is an android based control panel which presents a control point over WiFi. I have a copy of the Airtouch4 spec, which is based loosely on MODBUS over TCP/IP. I have written a Java library to handle the comms with the Airtouch4 wifi conenction. I have a little more tidy up, and then plan to release it and start working on an OpenHAB Airtouch binding.

My Mitsubishi Electric and Airtouch are both on my IoT Wifi VLAN. This has no connection to the internet and I am able to control them. I did have to install the Mitsubishi Android app and briefly enable internet traffic for that device so I could switch the MAC-568IF-E to echonet mode (required some free mitsubishi account). However, after that the Mitsubishi will happily run without any internet connection. The Airtouch has never needed an internet connection, but does allow remote control if it does. I plan to do any remote control via OpenHAB so will keep my IoT VLAN off the internet.

I noticed the Airtouch5 was recently released. I have just received a copy of that spec too, and will look to integrate it into the binding, bearing in mind I have no way to test it.

1 Like

Hi to all. Sorry to warm up this topic again…

Am I right that this module from intesis is compatible with the openhab intesis binding?
I tried to review as far as possible I would say yes. But i wanted to ask the community before ordering the 4x multisplit AC from MHI…

Thanks for your support!

1 Like

Yes, this module is supported.

2 Likes