Bitron Video ZigBee USB Funkstick stops working after a while

Thanks - I’m not so sure about this specific issue, but in general USB/Serial issues are one of the the most common problems getting bindings working.

1 Like

I’ve found nothing so far… no errors during boot, doesn’t seem to use too much energy, nothing the linux logs around the time of failure that could give me any clue…
Unplug and plug the dongle doesn’t seem to work but restarting the system usually does.
Now I’m testing having just the Zigbee dongle connected, nothing else but the first attempt didn’t go well, it just didn’t get online. I’ll leave it all night and see what happens.

So I finally accepted that it won’t work and asked for a refund (still fighting with the vendor) and bought a telegesis that it’s not working either, I’m gonna cry :cry:

Have you ruled out a usb-power issue? Have you tried increasing the usb power limit from 600mA to a total of 1200mA?

If not:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Put the following line in:

max_usb_current=1

Sure: it requires, that you have a strong power supply which is capable of delivering sufficient power to the Pi (not just a phone charger).

Sorry for the noise if you have tried this already. :wink:

1 Like

I just tried increasing the power as you suggested and it didn’t work but thanks for the tip.

Hi,

I have a very similar issue.
i am running on:

• RPI 3B
  • OH 2.5.1-2
  • Bitronvideo

The dongle is “lost” after a while, however approx once a month “only” and setting it disabled/enabled via the UI helps to recover the situation.

It would be great if a rule could do that, but I am afraid am not that expert. Perhaps i can manage a rule that sends me a mail.

What does “lost” actually mean?

Do what exactly? I’m not sure if this is a binding issue you are reporting, or maybe it’s a RPi problem?

Sadly I have no screenshot and log in hand (log does not show it anymore) so I cannot tell precisely. I will collect them next time.
It was something like communication error on the dongle. The dongle status in paperui was grayed out and the related Zigbee nodes as well.

A rule could dis/enable the dongle as this step was always resolving the issue in my environment.

Ps.: Recently upgraded to the latest stable OH.

Update: @chris in the log I can see this
ASH: ERROR received (code 81). Disconnecting.

Would you need the full log or only a slice of it (if so, what time range before after the event)?
Is a regular log enough or should I set something to debug level? If yes, what exactly?

I’m fairly certain this isn’t related to general undervoltage or the like, as this behaviour is also apparent with my Intel NUC.

It might be related to USB power saving, but since the ember coordinator is also listed as “state UNKNOWN”, I’d wager it’s some kind of communication issue.

Hi,
This is a pretty old thread - can you explain what issue you are having, and what versions of bindings etc you are using. I’m not sure what your reference about undervoltage is as you’ve not referenced a previous comment…

Sorry - but it’s very difficult to help you with no information on the problem you’re having.

Chris

I would be happy to get that far. How did you get the bitron stick show as USB tty? I see it in lsusb but get no device for it.

As per my response to the other thread you posted, please check out the documentation as this device may require additional configuration to be recognised.

Yes. If anyone stumbles over this. The documentation explicitly says what to do to make the bitron video stick appear.