Blank items in UI after restart/reload of OH1

One thing which have annoyed me for some time is, that my OpenHab1 setup seem to not initiatialize my items properly after reboot - or if I have changed something in my setup (i.e. the .items file) and it restarts/reloads.

The data is there - as I can still see the old data in charts etc. My items stay blank in the UI until they are updated with new readings - i.e. temperatures, datetime-stamps etc.

I would really like to fix this - although not critical - annoying issue :blush:

I am running OpenHab 1.9 on a Raspberry PI2 with Jessie.

I am using RRD4J as persistence and am not getting errors in the log at reboot/restart.

This is my rrd4j.persist file:

// persistence strategies have a name and a definition and are referred to in the "Items" section
Strategies {
	everyHour : "0 0 * * * ?"
	everyDay  : "0 0 0 * * ?"
	everyMinute : "0 * * * * ?"
    default = everyChange
}

Items {

* : strategy = everyChange, everyMinute, everyDay, restoreOnStartup
}

This is the RRD4J Persistence Service lines in my openhab.cfg file:

#######################################################################################
#####                      Persistence configurations                             #####
#######################################################################################

########################### RRD4J Persistence Service #################################
#
# please note that currently the first archive in each RRD defines the consolidation
# function (e.g. AVERAGE) used by OpenHAB, thus only one consolidation function is
# fully supported
#
# default_numeric and default_other are internally defined defnames and are used as
# defaults when no other defname applies

#rrd4j:<defname>.def=[ABSOLUTE|COUNTER|DERIVE|GAUGE],<heartbeat>,[<min>|U],[<max>|U],<step>
#rrd4j:<defname>.archives=[AVERAGE|MIN|MAX|LAST|FIRST|TOTAL],<xff>,<steps>,<rows>
#rrd4j:<defname>.items=<list of items for this defname>
rrd4j:ctr5min.def=COUNTER,900,0,U,300
rrd4j:ctr5min.archives=AVERAGE,0.5,1,365:AVERAGE,0.5,7,300
rrd4j:ctr5min.items=Item1,Item2

When searching/googling I see some who have/had this - but no real fix or clarification.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this ?

You mean 1.8, since there is no OH 1.9.

I’ve seen some activity with rrd4j problems in OH 2. I don’t know if those problems are related to what you are seeing.

Have you tried using MapDB for the restoreOnStartup?

Fantastic Rich - this was just what I needed. I have set up mapdb and corrected rrd4j persistence as per your instructions and this corrected my problem.

I just had a few switches and items which were uninitialized, but I fixed that with a small rule to set a default value - and from there on, everything works…

Thanks a million !

PS! Of course I have 1.8 and not 1.9 - my bad :wink: