Broadlink binding for RMx, A1, SPx and MP. Any interest?

I am having problems compiling the jar for OH 3.4.
I basically managed to compile it succesfully, but it does not activate when installing it in my system. There are a lot of changes that happened between the last time i compiled the binding succesfully (OH 3.2) and now, including increassed checks for null annotations, replacement of org.eclipse.smarthome libraries, junit deprecation, mockito deprecation, et etc etc…

Still working on it though.

2 Likes

@Lionello_Marrelli ,
The branch broadlink-binding-3.4.x from https://github.com/rlarranaga/openhab-addons compiles and runs in 3.4.3. I still need to clean up some warnings in it, but it would be good if it can be tested. I am testing it in my system right now too.

Thanks!

1 Like

Unfortunately I am not able to compile from sources. If you give me the link to download the addon jar file to be copied in the add-on directory I can do some test.

I will upload it to github, and let you know

Hi @Lionello_Marrelli
Release available at Release broadlink-binding 3.4.x - ALPHA 0 · rlarranaga/openhab-addons · GitHub

Thanks!

I have copied it in my add-ons folder and it recognized my A1 sensor and the RM mini. I still have to check if the broadlink.map file is recognized, but so far it works.
Thank you

Sounds good, it should recognize your broadlink file too. I will make some behavior changing modifications in the future, if i have time (i.e.: changing the config location). But so far, i have only made the minimum amount of changes that will allow the binding to be accepted into OH.

One thing you might want to consider is, unload your previous broadlink binging while testing. I run into situations where they conflict because the underlying libraries are compiled on different versions.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @guterm ,

I would probably need a bit more information, i.e.:

Have you cleaned up old Broadlink bindings (Removed them from OH)

What OH release are you running? (3.4.2 right?)

What devices do you have available?

Thanks

Thank you, indeed old binding was not properly cleaned up.
After uninstalling it in Karafe I was able to install the new one.
RM4 still shows the same error though:
COMMUNICATION_ERROR Couldn't authenticate

@guterm ,
I have RM4 devices working with no issues (Well, they work as well as they always do with this binding).

I would recommend you to:

1. Delete the devices in OpenHAB.
  2. Reset the devices to factory.
  3. Re-join the device to your network using the broadlink app or broadlink-cli
  4. Make sure the devices is not locked (allowed to communicate only with the app)
  5. Re-add the device scanning in OpenHAB, or adding manually.

Additionally, enabling the debug level for this binding might show more information about why aren’t they authenticating.

Thanks.

I recently bought RM4 mini… updated the firmware… then I also accidentally upgraded the firmware of my RM4 PRo… now my RM4 pro showing as offiline… this was in OH2.5

Now I’m also learning/trying openhab 3.4.x… I still could not bring online the RM4 Pro… its getting

[handler.BroadlinkRemoteModel2Handler] - Online → Offline due to: Couldn’t authenticate

But I can add the RM4Mini and my other RM3 mini then it goes online…
I’m using org.openhab.binding.broadlink-3.4.3-SNAPSHOT.jar

Yesterday I updated OpenHAB to 3.4.2. Deleted Broadlink binding 3.2.0 from my addon folder and added instead the latest 3.4.3 jar file.
Everything seems to be working properly with my RM4 Pro.

Hi,

What’s the firmware version of your RM4 PRO?
mine is 62093

Unfortunately, I don’t know.
I bought my RM4 Pro about two years ago and haven’t connected it to the official Broadlink app since then.

Hi friends,
I’ve been using the RM4 Pro with OpenHAB for the past two years to send commands to several RF controlled ceiling fans and it’s been running great.
However, due to several reasons I’m thinking of migrating away from OpenHAB to Home Assistant.
Before I go through the migration process that will require recreating the whole system, can anyone tell me if there is a similar way to send RF commands with the RM4 Pro on Home Assistant?
So far, I’ve been using this binding to control them in OpenHAB, and I’m wondering if there’s a similar or better way to achieve the same control on Home Assistant.
Hope someone can help :pray:

As commented in the Samsung topic, we are not the HA community, please ask there.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Does someone using the binding in OpenHab 4 M5 with RM4 Pro? And if so, with what binding version?
Thank you.

I have some general questions about Broadlink device integration and the available options to integrate RF capable Broadlink devices.

I’ve started about 3 years ago with OH 2.x and now I’m running on OH 3.4.4. Since then, I’m using a “none-official” OH binding from the millinghousegroup with two Broadlink RM2 (aka RMPro+) devices with both IR and RF (433MHz) codes without any issues.

In the meantime the official OH Broadlink (thermostat?) binding has been published, but it states that only the Floureon Thermostat and RM Mini 3 devices has been tested (others may be working also, but not yet tested). The OH binding documentation pointed out, that it’s based on the broadlink-java-api. This library does mention RM2Devices in the READ.me file. It looks like that themillinghousegroup binding does NOT use this broadlink-java-api but instead using it’s own implementation?!

Does anyone know if these two bindings are related? Is the current official OH Broadlink binding the successor of the (older and non-official) themillinghousegroup binding? If yes, the chance to get the RM2 (RMPro+) supported (also with RF) by the official binding is high.

Does anyone of you use an RM2 (RMPro+) with the official Broadlink binding - maybe also with RF codes?

I’m concerned, that after migrating to OH 4.x (which I plan to do in the next few weeks) the binding of themillinghouse group may no longer work with OH 4.x because the last version (3.2 BETA 1) is 2 years old and no more updates are available.

This is the device:

I am in planning to move from OH3.4.5 to OH4 soon as well, with RM4Mini (+HTS2 sensors) in my collection. A test setup of OH4.0.1 shows that the RM4mini is recognized by broadlinkthermostat binding, allows learning, saving, recalling IR commands. HTS2 sensors are not available (feature request posted).

This thread shows a recompile of original broadlink binding for 3.4.x: Broadlink binding for RMx, A1, SPx and MP. Any interest? - #1542 by ricardol
Anyways, it can be assumed that there is no broadlink binding version available for OH4 (yet?)

1 Like

Thanks for clarification! I’ve totally missed that this broadlink-binding 3.4.x - ALPHA 0 binding is to continue the work of the mentioned themillinghousegroup binding which I currently use. That’s good to know that the work on this binding will keep going.

I wonder why the 2 year old binding from themillinghouse group, which I still use (3.2 BETA 1) with my OH 3.4.4, is working at all. I never installed these newer build even if it states that “This Release has minimum code modifications in order to prepare a PR to Openhab-addons 3.4.x”.

Looking forward to try this new build of the binding with OH 4.x.

Btw.: I’ve googled a bit about how Home Assistant may support Broadlink devices and found that they support nearly all current devices including the RF capable ones (e.g. RMPro+ and RM4 pro) (see description). Just learned that Home Assistant is using Python and found its Broadlink code on github. I’m not familiar with Python and Home Assistant at all, but maybe it can help someone while enhancing the implementing this OH binding in Java.
As I understand, even the “code learning” is implemented in the Home Assistant binding (do they also call this binding?) which would make things easier if this would also be possible with the OH binding. Until now, I need to grep the IR/RF codes via other tools and/or old smartphone Apps which I remember was really a pain and a very ugly process - that’s the reason why I keep my already learned IR/RF codes in a safe place like a treasure to not need to re-learn them again.

1 Like