[BTicino/OpenWebNet] New openHAB2 binding ready for testing

i vote too and i want to help if i can , thx , thx and thanks again for what you do every day for this binding

Thanks you all, and @massi especially.
I must admit I was not planning to vote (but just did it), to not interfere in the final selection as I would not take any benefit.
Indeed, the reason is very simple, and you mention it briefly for you: the binding does already all what I need @ home (I have no so much equipments using openwebnet).

I can tell you I appreciate a lot what you did, your binding (& OH of course) is for the only “good” way to manage my shutters & implements rules and scenarios.

So big thanks.

I voted at the very beginning and i found really a good idea asking users what they need to be developed first.
Less than 50 votes only it is really a pity i agree but i think many users come here to the forum because and only when they need something: a problem solution, an idea etc.
Perhaps the more the work of the binding is good the less people have to come over here so: this ought to be a great compliment for the binding creator!!!
I think the user of Bticino hardware, expecially myhome, needs a platform like OH where his plant is integrated first to the world outside and then completed with what Bticino myhome is not doing at all. But you must consider also that who invested a lot of money in this hardware did it just because it is a domotic installation that ought to work always and without problems at all. The same here for the binding: they installed it because it is doing a lot of things Bticino does not but once setup it ought to work and do not stop and without the needs to look for problems solution in a forum.
There are people who are interested in chatting with other users and share experiences and ideas and there are people who simply care that their needs are satisfied and that’s it.
50 users could be a little number or a big one I think it’s related to the type of user but this does not mean the whole work is not interesting .
I am using the beta version on OH2 and testing the new one on OH3 and I am one of those who are waiting for the beta version expiring fixed .
thank you

Hi everyone and @massi , I also voted few weeks ago.
I really appreciate your work, it allows me to use better my Bticino home automation component. I’m not very technical and I must say that sometimes I had some problem to follow your indications, maybe many users have the same problem as me. Now with this new version of Openhab 3 even the less technical will be facilitated.

Hi @massi I actually think 50 is not a bad number of responses, normally a survey will only get a small percentage return. I would have expected 10-20. So I imagine there must be more than 100 users. Ideally we can get more development help from among the users, I did some very basic coding on the original binding to help get CEN+ working so once I have OH3 up in the next month I will reinstall Eclipse and see whether I can help. For me without CEN+ I can not use the binding because many of my physical switches are CEN+

I have my oh3 test pi running and I am working through the breaking changes. Mostly date and time issues. The openwebnet binding seems OK but its quite a big downgrade and so a lot of rules are not running due to missing openwebnet features.

So, I will have a dilemma. I can’t move to oh3 without the missing features in openwebnet binding eg cen and when the binding expires then what?. What is the purpose in setting a binding expiry?

As repeated already: the purpose was to have all users move and be aligned to the latest version.
Now there is no more this need, so as I promised I will post an updated version with no expire, but no support at all will be given to that version (the expire is in a couple of days, but I should find the time to post this final unlimited version before then)

1 Like

Hi @Julian_Divett your help here is very much welcome and since you already contributed to the original BTicino binding I think your help will be surely effective.
I have in mind some important changes to CEN/CEN+ since the current design is not appropriate. CEN/CEN+ should be offered as triggers/commands and not as channels.
I suggest when you have a working setup of the Eclipse OH3 environment and have time to contribute, you contact me and we can discuss the new design also with other power users like @m4rk

Since we reached 50 answers, I closed the polls.
The bottom line is indeed a confirmation to me:

1. full Thermo and CEN/CEN+ are the most missed features
  2. users will likely move to OH3 when the feature they are missing are supported

Thanks for answering, stay tuned!

3 Likes

sure whe stay tune ! :wink:

Thanks Massi for the update.

I see the ‘generic BUS message’ is not high priority for people. Could you explain a bit more about your ideas behind this tem please.

One thing I struggle with is getting a message out to OH when a MH202 scenario runs. I found certain switch addresses can be used A8-9 and the ON or OFF command is seen on the BUS even though I do’t have the hardware they seem to exist and I dont know why it works. Or if I have spare unused actuators I use these in the same way. ON/OFF action in a scenario is then detected by OH.

Internally on the MH202 I also use Boolean states to track things and to initiate some sceanrios but these are not seen by the binding and worse they get messed and require a MH202 reset after the binding scans for devices. I also use CEN commands on the MH202 to trigger scenarios in a chain but these internal CEN commands do not get seen by the binding either.

So, in order for OH to track which MH202 scenarios have been activated I only really have the option of using spare unused actuators as a trigger (I do not have enough of these) or the weird non existent virtual actuators from A8-9 (I used all avaibale addresses)

I was hoping you had some better idea :slight_smile:

Testing non existent 9.15 adresss

Scanning for 9.15 - in case I have some hidden harware!!

They can’t both be correct but 9.15 behaves as though it really exists!!

Hi Massi!
Thanks also from my side for your effort and great work!
I think that many users like me, don’t have so much time to dedicate to rewriting all things, items and rules, so before I move to the new binding, I will wait for Thermo to work. Indeed I’m also using the binding 1 for the thermo scenarios.

It’s a pitty that the generic openwebnet messages are not a priority, actually just with that we could control everything :wink:

Keep on going, thanks!!!

I am not so sure everyone understood what that meant and what possibilities it would open up!!!

Endless :wink:

I’m not that advanced, but if you need some testing with what 4, I’m happy to help!

Ciao

yes @massi I agree the CEN implementation could be improved. I look forward to seeing what people are using it for and what they want.

@m4rk I just have the basic scenarios module with I think 6 scenarios but only use openhab now for all programming. What reason do you keep using a separate tool? which specific features are missing aside from thermo and cen.

I don’t use openHAB to control my BUS hardware except for some minor things. I use openHAB for monitoring, charting, notofications, occupancy and provide a nice app with everything available in one place. I also use openHAB to integrate other non BUS items and for voice announcements of BUS inportant BUS events and for voice control of everyhting. I use the MH202 for all critical things via scenarios, eg blind control on hot sunny days etc . The main reason for this layered approach is reliability. The MH202 is much more reliable and also less flexible than openHAB; which is complex and in constant development.

The way I have it now I have the best of both worlds. All the fancy but not so important stuff handled by openHAB and the mission crtical stuff handled by MH202 scenarios; 100’s of them. You could think of it as openHAB as the brains guided by inputs and MH202 as the muscle that can run all bit itself if needed , like a headless chicken :slight_smile:

Missing features are: Video (nice to have for door bell and door control), contacts interfaces (which are attached to enviromental and other sensors eg alarm state) Without sensor input the system will always be dumb! For temperatures I only monitor the controls and sensors. My house is already very controlled and stable and I almost never need to change any temperature settings but I do like to know if there is a problem or if someone has changed a room setting.

my goal is to have less inetraction with home automation as it should be smart enough to do the right thing at the right time. Think of Jarvis in Iron Man but on a limited budget :slight_smile:

I have a hope; if one day openHAB matured and became stable then I would not need the MH202 but then there would be no fun.

Hi All,

This is my first post in this thread but i have been watching it for over a year or so…
First I want to take the chance to thank most of you for your contribution in this project and of course a big thumb up to @massi for his hard work and dedication !!
A few years ago, I bought a house equipped with a pretty old BTicino MyHome SCS bus (from 2006) with only physical configurator, mainly for lights, roller shutter and audio diffusion. There are two 3.5" touch screen but these are not ip connected (too old) So i decided to get a F454 gateway and hooked it up to the LAN but then I was so disappointed with myHomeSuite, I could not get much extra feature out of it and found out OpenHab. Wow ! finally I can extend my old Home system to my phone and tablet. I must admit that I struggled a bit with HabPanel at first. It took me a long time to get everything nice in files, and now I have to do it again with OH3 since I upgraded my Pi the other day :slight_smile: I also managed to integrated plenty of other things (TVs, Chromecast, Sonos, Robot vacuum, EV charger, IP cams, etc.) Coming next in the list is to log PV production, control inverter, Heat pump and boiler as well as measure Temp/Hum in every room. I have of course voted already and for me the most important is to have stable OH3 binding. The biggest missing feature for me is WHO=16/22 because I am not able to turn my zone audio amplifiers (F502) ON/OFF. Indeed the possibilities to send generic openwebnet messages would be fantastic ! I have dug around for a tool in order to do that but didn’t find anything suitable for me.
I also echo what @m4rk said about using OH to mainly monitor and automate home systems on top of the existing logic. For me the installed system is operational and I do not wish to change it too much. The goal is too use OpenHab to extend some part (scenario) and also to have one point to centralize, log data and control everything (and avoid 15+ different apps on your phone !)
Also I can (and would like to) help/contribute for testing, but I am more a sys engineer than a programmer…
Thanks !

Ok!!! Thank massi!!!

The binding can only either send commands to the BUS or react to event messages sent on the BUS. So the first question to answer is: which event message is sent on the BUS when a MH202 scenario runs? if no message is sent at all, then no possibility for the binding that the scenario has been activated.

Yes, that is why I use dummy switches. Actuators not actually connected to anything. MH202 CEN commands, Boolean state changes … non of these things are seen by the binding. The strange one is in mentioned in my ealrier post. Sending an On or OFF to addresss A8-9 is seen even though I do not have any associated hardware. I guess there must be something somewhere. Its not OH, I checked.

edit…
I haven’t really put too much thought into this as I had spare actuators to use but now I have run out of them. So, I should investigate more. What happens on the BUS if MH202 sends a command to an address that does not exist? Something must be sent on the BUS? Maybe the binding could detect that? I don’t really know how the BUS commands work so maybe I should learn more about who what where and frames, handshaking etc