Community survey 2019

Long time ago there was a Greek philosopher called Socrates. One of his most famous quotes is “I know that I know nothing”. Socrates lived in fifth century BC so he had no idea that over 2400 years later computers will know more about people than anybody else. As you most likely know, openHAB does not collect any data about its users. This means that in quite many cases some things are assumed and not backed by facts.

In order to throw some light into what community is - I would like to start few polls which will let you answer but also see results for questions which I mined this evening. If you have your own, place it below.
Often discussions on forums around specific topics are dominated by people from one or another edge of community. While long lasting arguments allow to nail down issue, they frequently do not make a proper base for decisions. That’s why I come with idea of very rough survey.

Hopefully next edition will be more precise! Let’s numbers speak!

All polls will expire at May 24th, 11:59 PM, meaning results will be available for Smart Home Day in Darmstadt.

1. Number of openHAB installations maintained:
  • 3-5
  • More than 5

0 voters

1. Kind of primary area under openHAB(s) controll:
  • Apartment.
  • House
  • Office
  • Industrial
  • Other

0 voters

1. Number of regular users having access to openHAB (browser, phone, tablet, touchscreen):
  • 2-3
  • 4-5
  • More than 5
  • More than 10
  • 20 and more

0 voters

1. Number of people which openHAB makes impact on:
    (below 2 option stands for “2 or less”, I can’t edit poll options - sorry!)
  • below 2
  • 3-5
  • More than 5
  • More than 10
  • More than 20
  • Hundreds :slight_smile:

0 voters

1. Integrated systems:
  • Lighting
  • Power outlets
  • Alarm
  • Heating
  • Ventilation
  • Air Conditioning
  • Media systems (tv, speakers, radio etc)
  • Cameras
  • Sprinklers
  • Intercom (count in doorbell)
  • Meters (electricity, oil, gas, water etc)
  • Weather station and environmental sensors

0 voters

1. Do you still use any openhab 1.x binding?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1. Do you use text configurations?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1. Do you use a rule system?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1. Do you use groups for your items?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1. Do you use tags for your items?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1. Which operating system you use to run openHAB?
  • Linux
  • Mac
  • Other unix
  • Windows
  • Something else

0 voters

1. What is your primary hardware platform for running openHAB?
  • Raspberry PI 3
  • Raspberry PI 2
  • Raspberry PI A/B (first one from 2012)
  • Pine 64
  • Rock 64
  • Other single board computer
  • Synology
  • QNAP
  • Other NAS
  • Desktop PC
  • Embedded PC
  • Apple/Mac

0 voters

1. What is your internet kind/speed?
  • My openHAB is offline.
  • 3G
  • LTE
  • ADSL
  • Cable operator
  • Fiber

0 voters

1. How do you access openHAB from outside?
  • I do not, told you its offline.
  • myopenhab
  • self hosted myopenhab
  • something else
  • VPN

0 voters

1. Used wiring methodology.
    Mark “some” when you have at least one system of given kind. For example - if you have KNX and ZWave at home then you are kindly asked to mark “Wires and some radio”.
  • Wires.
  • Wires and some radio.
  • Mixed installation.
  • Mainly radio, some wires.
  • Only radio

0 voters

1. Number of items (elements displayed in UI):
  • below 20
  • 20-50
  • 50-100
  • 100-200
  • 200-400
  • 400-800
  • … more

0 voters

1. User interfaces in use:
  • Basic UI (mark if you use official OSX and Android app)
  • Classic UI
  • ComeVisu
  • HABmin
  • HABot
  • HABPanel
  • Paper UI
  • Paper UI NG
  • Custom

0 voters

1. Would you be willing to pay for additional online services openHAB (data storage, online configuration backup, etc.) - namely other than existing myopenhab features:
  • Yes
  • No, I would rather sign for complete telemetry to keep service free.
  • No

0 voters

1. If you would opt pay, how much monthly would you be able to pay for extra services available to your home automation system (in euros, 1€=$1.12)?

0 voters

1. Would you opt in for completely anonymous telemetry collecting (given that there is single person on globe who would manage to adjust it to GDPR requirements):
  • Yes.
  • As long as data is not sold.
  • Only for research purposes.
  • If I could control what is collected.
  • No.

0 voters

1. Your primary concern / observation / complain:
    In other words which two elements from below list in your opinion require instant action in order to make end user life easier:
  • Bad end user experience.
  • Improper quality of addons.
  • Hardware at my home is not supported yet.
  • Step learning curve.
  • Slow development cycle.
  • Improper community support.
  • Problematic upgrades (1.x->2.x, 2.x->2.y).
  • Documentation.
  • Better cloud offering.

0 voters

1. Software version in use:
  • Older than 1.8
  • 2.5 Milestone 1
  • 2.5 Snapshot

0 voters

10 Likes

With question 12 i am missing the option virtual machine

5 Likes

Question 4 (Number of people which openHAB makes impact on) the options are ‘below 2’ (so that would be 1 or less) and 3 (or higher). For me this is exactly 2 which I cannot select :slight_smile:

Question 12 (What is your primary hardware platform for running openHAB?) I guess some people will be using a laptop. I’m using an Intel NUC so I’m assuming this will fall into the Desktop PC category.

New question:

What version(s) of openHAB do you use:

1.x
2.5 Snapshot
2.5 Milestone 1

1 Like

Question 12 is just about hardware - virtual machines needs to be hosted on something. You can run VMs on NAS, desktop, even on raspberrys. If we would have this option we could obfuscate hardware results. VM is a proper option to compare with Docker/openhabian - which could be a nice question for next “edition” (if we will have any).

You’re correct answers for 4th question miss “exactly two” - I added a note on this poll to mark first option if you have 2 or less subjects which are controlled by openHAB. Maybe some administrator will be able to update poll to avoid confusion later on.

On hardware platform - I don’t know NUC to well, as long as Intel allows you to swap memory and disk it is a compact PC platform. By size and extensibility it does not match a typical “embedded PC” where part of components is soldered upfront. Feel free to adjust your answer if necessary - we could add NUC as option in next run.

I also added question about software version in use. Thank you for suggestions and answers!

This is great info… thank you! How about…

OH installation method:

• openHABian
  • Repository
  • Manual

Number 8 is really vague. I would be interested in…

Rule engine and scripting language used (multiple selection):

• Rules DSL
  • NGRE (UI)
  • NGRE (JavaScript)
  • NGRE (Groovy)
  • NGRE (Python)
  • NGRE (other)
  • Node-RED
  • Other
1 Like

I’m running a separate development system at recent version, but have chosen to only describe the “production” system, guessing it is actual usage that is of interest. :smiley:

You forgot Docker as an installation method.

2 Likes

Eh… docker is not an installation method though. TMK, the current containers all use a manual installation. I agree though… it might be interesting data to collect and fits well in the installation methods. :wink:

Question 18.

Would be good to have an option in the vote that is along the lines of. Low usage is free but those that go over a threshold need to be foundation members. Google tts has used this model in the past/present and I like the model. New comers and people trialing a service get to use it for free and when someone starts using a server that may cause more bandwidth to be needed that raises costs it can be covered with a yearly membership and not monthly.

From the end user’s perspective it is. The acquisition , set up, and configuration is sufficiently different as to need it’s own installation instructions. You can’t just say “see the manual insurrections” to set up oh in Docker.

I’m not sure the laws that govern the non-profit status of the foundation would allow that.

1 Like

Also using Docker…

Hello,
It would be nice to be able to control several houses on the application.
Arnaud

I am controlling a property with multiple buildings, and other things on it (like tanks, pumps irrigation, etc.); not a problem at all; either have sitemaps per building or one for all :smiley:

(Igrnore the outside temperature: the weather station died on the last hot day :smiley:)

1 Like

Question 13 is , IMO, a bit confusing. Is it about my internet connectivity? Or about my openHAB setup? I selected the answer ‘My openHAB is offline’, since I’m not using myopenhab or an similar service to bring my setup online. But yes, I’m using an cable operator for my fixed internet connection…

Its question about speed of Internet in network you have openHAB running. This impacts how fast or slow is access from outside which is asked in next point.

An alternative solution would be for an enterprising OH user to set up their own cloud service–completely separate from myopenhab and the foundation–and start charging for access. myopenhab.com could then be maintained for people who aren’t ready to pay for it, or who are less concerned about reliability and on-demand support.

Mine is running in a VM on “serious” server hardware, so a matching category is still missing.
As this has proven to be the most reliable and managable setup to me (far superior over my previous struggles with the Raspberry Pi) it might have been a good idea to add this to the options.
Another point I’m missing is “stability and reliability” which I think is key for an automation system - something that is currently not one of the strongest arguments for OH (its been better before and I’m sure it will become more stable again in the future).
Nevertheless this poll is a good idea to get to know more about what is important to the community and where the focus should be set on.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that I missed VM as installation method (?) and limited hardware selection to you. Polls hosted on forum have limitation to maximum 12 answers, we can’t have more and can’t edit poll after first 5 minutes. I haven’t had idea about that when I started writing above questions down. Due to limitations I had to adjust options after few hours of writing and trim them down.
Hardware should indeed have “Other” option and not only “Other NAS”.

With all above, I am really thankful for all suggestions, hopefully survey idea will evolve and within next run we will get better selection of answers. It was difficult to define all possible hardware platforms. This lead to placement of exotic platforms such MacOS, Rock 64 and RPi 1 which do not exist in community deployments. Next time we will be able to simply omit these and book place for serious hardware. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Łukasz

2 Likes

I’m sorry I missed this thread when it came out.

Now that a few years have passed, could we do it again and compare the results?

Can we add a vague Global Location location question too?

1 Like

I think we could, its already 4 years since this poll. Seems that we are being asked more often on forum by random researchers to fill questionnaire about HA than OH. :wink:

It might be a nice new year resolution to organize it once again.

5 Likes