Constant "503 jersey not ready"

I started having a problem the other day with my entire automation system going offline. Google home just returns “cannot reach openhab” the home app shows everything “offline” and paperui just returns “503 jersey not ready yet” on anything I click. The only fix is to reboot but sometimes i have to reboot several times.

Platform information: Samsung xe700t1a tablet.
Hardware: intel i5 2467/4gb ram/128gb SSD
Java Runtime Environment: zulu java 8
openHAB version: 2.5 m4
installed\updated via apt

Any ideas? If rebooting fixed it every time I would just set up my pc to reboot every night. (may still do that) But it dont always fix it.

I had that a while ago and solved it by clearing the cache:

I’ll give that a try once I get home this afternoon.

Ok that seems to have completely broken my system. Now when I restart the computer openhab does not start. Trying to start the service looks fine but it does not actually start unless I start the cli version.

I have tried reloading the daemon and re-enabling the service but no luck. If I shut down the terminal where the cli is running openhab shuts down. if i restart the pc it does not start up automatically like it used to.

That normally indicates that there was something fundamentely wrong before clearing the cache.
Which errors messages do you see in openhab.log?

How much free space is there on the tablet? I’ve seen strange behaviour on systems with low or no free space.

I took a quick peek before running out the door - I can load the log later if needed. But the errors (and there were a lot) seemed to be mostly Apache with a bunch of java erreors mixed in.

As to @higgers question I have 110gb free on a 128 GB SSD that is 2 years old and passed all health checks before I installed lubuntu in Jan to start this project.

Here is the log.

Thank you for your help.

That’s a real mess :sunglasses:

Are you sure all those errors where not there before clearing the cache?

Configuration model '(1)_new_rule.rules' has errors, therefore ignoring it: [17,20]: no viable alternative at input 'Item'
Unable to find any configuration settings for weather binding. Check openhab.cfg.
bundle org.openhab.persistence.gcal:1.14.0.M4 (292)[org.openhab.io.gcal.presencesimulation(375)] :  Error during instantiation of the implementation object
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
FrameworkEvent ERROR - org.openhab.persistence.gcal
org.osgi.framework.ServiceException: Exception in org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.getService()
bundle org.openhab.persistence.gcal:1.14.0.M4 (292)[org.openhab.io.gcal.presencesimulation(375)] :  Error during instantiation of the implementation object
Cannot run program "arping" (in directory "."): error=2, No such file or directory)
Missing service account key configuration to access Google Cloud TTS API.
Failed installing 'openhab-binding-yahooweather, openhab-misc-restdocs'

Did you check the correct java version? Should be still Java 8, not a newer version.

java is “zulu 8.33.0.1-linux64”

I didn’t check log before (I honestly had to figure out how to get this log).

I am going to be deleting my rules (they were just for testing how it worked) and any bindings i am not actually using today. Try to limit what can be causing the problem.

It works right now if i manually start it via cli but I need it to auto-start like before the cache clean but without the random “503” loops.

Ok I cleared out the rules and a bunch of unused bindings and services then rebooted and started openhab via cli then shut it down and attempted to start via service (which failed) and then opened via cli and pulled the log again.

Also my items file.

That is the old log from your post above :grinning:

You can’t have the same item name twice:

Number HouseCurrentTemp "House Temperature" ...

I’ll check what happened with drive - it should have given you version 2.

So even though it’s the same item in two different groups it has to be named different? The reason I have two groups is because my thermostat has two setpoints and the only way for Google assistant to understand it was to have two groups. Could that be causing some of my issues?

edit: to --> two

this is the log that should have been posted.

Yes, from the docs:

However, each Item must be unique across all .items files.

You still have a lot of errors which must be solved before we can determine your actual problem:

2019-11-17 13:27:03.906 [ERROR] [.googletts.internal.GoogleTTSService] - Missing service account key configuration to access Google Cloud TTS API.

2019-11-17 13:27:11.116 [WARN ] [lipse.smarthome.io.net.exec.ExecUtil] - Execution failed (Exit value: -559038737. Caused by java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "arping" (in directory "."): error=2, No such file or directory)

2019-11-17 13:27:12.843 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-yahooweather, openhab-misc-restdocs'
→ Yahoo binding does not exist anymore, REST docs is now in the UI section, not in the MISC section anymore.

2019-11-17 13:27:42.591 [ERROR] [ng.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeThingHandler] - null: Exception creating channels 

If nothing helps do a backup of your config:

and reinstall openHAB, then restore your backup:

1 Like

I had already uninstalled those bindings thru paperui. Not sure why they are throwing errors if they are not installed. Doing backup and reinstall now. (Worst case scenario I have to start from fresh)

I will change the names on the current temp item. (It is ok to have the same item twice under two different names correct? Because there is only one temp sensor but I have to have it in two different thermostats due to Google assistant integration weirdness)

No, if you do a backup of your configuration before you are safe.

No, you need different item names, but you can have same label text all over your items:

itemtype itemname "labeltext [stateformat]" <iconname> (group1, group2, ...) ["tag1", "tag2", ...] {bindingconfig}

So in my current item file I should change the “itemname” on one of them but leave the “channel Id” the same? But it’s fine if I label them the same?

Yes, that’s correct.

1 Like