Energy Meters

Is it correct, that it is not possible at the moment to read energy meters (such as Permundo PSC234 (EnOcean)).
Will there be support in short term?
Or can someone suggest a product? Important is the measuring, not the switching function.
Or are there some comaptible devices for DIN rail?
Sorry that these questions mabye seem a bitt trivial for some people but there are so many bindings…
Thank you! :slight_smile:

LukeLER

Hi @LukeLER,

I implemented a new openhab2 Enocean binding, which should support the PSC234. However this binding is still in dev, so testers are welcome. You find the discussion about this binding here. Maybe you give it a try.

Daniel

I have successfully installed a din rail power meter device. It communicates by rs485 with a USB dongle. I have then made a python script that runs periodically (every minute), this script publishes the read values to mqtt.
Then I have made items according to my needs and bound them to mqtt topics.

The"only" caveat is that the dongle has a tendency to change device address on every restart which throws a wrench in the setup.

The link had an example of such a device, I think the same item is sold under many different names

What usb dongle do you use?
Is it Wifi? If it is, you can probably assign it a fixed IP by changing some settings in your router.

Regards

No it is a USB dongle basically a fancy way of saying com port device. No IP addresses involved.

I could and should probably set up something to autodetect which tty is the right one. But for now I just adjust it manually every time I reboot

Hej Lukas

smappee https://www.smappee.com/be_en/home might be interesting for you. It doesnt cost much, has an API, provides very fiine grained information on your consumption (it learns to detect single devices over time) and can be installed quite easily.

smappee can be integrated into openHAB via:

Attention: I read that API of smappee is no longer free. They charge € 2,5 per month (48 months minimum contract duration)

Hey @Boby - can you send a link/more info about the pricing? I can only find a general remark, that the API costs money now. https://smappee.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DEVAPI/pages/9306196/Terms+of+Usage

Lucky those, who have allready an Authentication…
(It seems to be a current trend to create paywalls for APIs - wunderground did sth similar this summer. Maybe it is too much cost to provide all the hobby/smart home users with keys. Or having APIs is no longer a must have for cool companies…)

Hi @mdnx, I wrote the support if the rumor is true - and they said yes, there is a subscription model and if you want to know more, you need ro contact sales (info@smappee.com)

I read somewhere here it‘s € 2,50 per month and therefore I refuse to get a smappee because I try to avoid running costs where possible.

Thanks - I agree with you. I wouldnt have bought my smappee with API costs attached.

However for those, who are interested in teh topic of energy meters: in case of smappee, there is a local smappee API - here you can simply get the current energy usage. I have this running and the deviation of this counter in regards to the one by my energy company is approx 5% over aperiod of 30days.
With this local API solution one has no need for internet or the Smappe API key whatsover. Its all adressed through a nice python libary. https://github.com/EnergieID/smappy.
However - 220€ for a nice energy meter might be too high.

1 Like

Hi Martin

I hope you can help me a little bit here, since I cannot figure out how to set this up

I’m running my openHAB installation on Windows and I have installed Python 3.7.1
Then I used “python.exe -m pip install smappy” and got this (which looks pretty ok to me??)

The script chardetect.exe is installed in 'C:\Users\Lars\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\Scripts' which is not on PATH.
  Consider adding this directory to PATH or, if you prefer to suppress this warning, use --no-warn-script-location.
Successfully installed certifi-2018.10.15 chardet-3.0.4 idna-2.7 pytz-2018.7 requests-2.20.1 smappy-0.2.16 urllib3-1.24.1
You are using pip version 10.0.1, however version 18.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

Can you guide me what to do next ??

Br Lars

Hej @LarsB , Im on the road and do not have access to my repository - so please excuse the superficality of my answer. I as well do not know, how well you know python, openHAB etc.

However It looks like you have successfully smappy.

In order to query your smappe device you need to start python with command python3 , import smappy import smappy and than you can run python commands, in order to read values from your local smappe or the smappee API in the we. Doumentation of the commands is provided here: https://github.com/EnergieID/smappy

If you want to have a python script, that you can trigger from OpenHAB, you want to save your script as *.py file, make this executable (Documentation for this is in google) and call it from a openHAB rule. The results of the script ( print () ) are read by openhab and can be parsed by the rule into OpenHAB items.

I hope this helps. If you want I can post my (very simple) *.py scripts for smappee inquiry here tomorrow.

Hi Martin
Thanks for your reply - Unfortunately I know nothing about python, but you’ve definitely helped me - now I have at least an idea of what to do and what to google :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

I would like to see your repository, but no rush, I’m not in a hurry

Thanks for your help

/Br Lars

(Btw my plan is to run this locally, since the API unfortunately has a monthly fee :frowning_face: )

@mdnx
Could you copy that post in it’s own thread in the category tutorials&examples / solutions
And the title could be Smappee rules and scripts or something like that…
Thanks

hello @vzorglub , @LarsB - as suggested I moved the script etc into the Tutorial section Smappee integration into OpenHAB - rules, scripts, Items

1 Like

Thanks Martin - hopefully i’ll have some time this weekend to try it

//Lars