EnOcean 2: FGW14-USB supported

Hi,

that’s what Eltako’s top-quality support told me when I described some problems I had with other address ranges. They sent me information from their developers team.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I am VERY happy to say, I got things Working with an fgw14-USB. I can control the first two FSR14 x4 with no Problems. Even the status gets updated when switched outside Openhab.

However, when I try to teach in the 9th or 10th Switch on the 3rd Actor (FSR14 x4) I get some wierd behavior. When I turn on the switch inside Openhab, it switches back to off, even if the light stays on.
I think I am doing something wrong with the Numbers, maybe. I am not doing anything different than the first 8times: Enocean ID 00000009, Sender ID 9, teachin via “LRN” on the FSR14.

Also tried with the 5th Actor (Enocean ID 00000017, Sender ID 17). When I look into PCT14, I can see the result of the teachin. It’s something with 11 at the end. Which totally confuses me. Must be this Hex-thing :wink:

Anybody, who can help me?
Ty so much!

Look for a dec to hex converter.
Dec 17 = hex 11.

Maybe this will fix your problem :slight_smile:

Not really,
I just teached in a working ID (00000001, Sender ID 1). This works perfectly in the first Actor but not in the 5th Actor, starting with EnOcean ID 17-20.
I can switch the actor on/off but status is always going back to off in OpenHab. This is not the case, when I teach in this ID into the first Actors (ID 1-8).

There must be something wrong with the settings of the actor. I.e. not sending it’s state.

Edit: I set the Base ID of the FAM14 as Base ID of the Bridge (fgw14). Maybe this was wrong?

Any ideas?
Ty

Alright, guys! Got it!
Indeed, you may not set the Base ID of the FGW14 to the Base ID of the FAM14.

I am running FSR14s ans FSB14 now, everything ist very smooth and fast. Thank you so much!!

I am willing to give support to new users. Just let me know :wink:

Oh man…
Somehow my status updates stopped working. Can´t figure out, why this is. Yesterday everything was working perfectly (cry). I can controll all things just fine (FSRs and FSBs).
FGW14 is on mode 6, FAM14 is on 7.
FGW14 is blinking green, then off for a sec, then green again.

Any ideas?

Hi @Wuehli ,

just wanted to continue the discussion about the 127 ID Limit.

Now I have exactly this problem. I need 140 RS485 adresses. Regarding your post from last year, do you have an idea how to create the special FGW gateway without the 127 ID limitation?

Best regards
Stefan

I think you can have more than 127 IDs. But only 127ID can send status updates. I am not completely sure.

Can someone help a newbie? I have built a small test bed like this:

Fam14 — fts14em —- fsr4x — fgw14-usb

I’m not sure my fts14em is working. Or I cabled it wrong. I’m having a hard time understanding the eltako documentation. It’s very minimal, not well explained. And any videos are all in German, not a language I can speak.

For this to work, I’d like to at least verify my cabling to the 14em is correct. Am I correct into assuming the built-in power supply on the fam should be directly connected to the wallswitch which then is cabled to an E+ and the E- connectors on the EM?
How can I test whether it’s actually a good one and not a faulty one? I bought it on Amazon so I don’t expect too much from that reseller… .

Thanks for any input!

I am not really sure, what you want to achieve with the FTS14em here. You don’t need this to get the rest running.
I am very sure, you should NOT connect the wallswitch to the FAM14! The FAM has a built in 12V inverter that needs to be connected to a 230V power source. It has nothing to do with the wallswitch itself. The FAM is used mainly to recieve radio protocols from wireless Wallswitches like the FT55. And it is the busmaster for all Eltako devices that are connected via the bus -bridges.

The most basic Setup would be:
FAM14 - FGW14 USB connected to OH - FSR14.
The cables for the light needs to be connected to the FSR14. You should be able to get the light switched via openhab. See my tutorial.

However, one very important thing: Don’t connect a power outlet to the FSR14. At least not, if you plan to connect a power hungry device like a Hairdryer. Else you gonna burn your FSR. For Outlet you need the FSR14 2x!!!

I strongly recommend to get somebody professional to install your Eltako System. Depending on what is your plan, it can get very complicated.

Please stop installing the Eltako devices by yourself. The installation and wiring is well documented with examples. If you are not able to understand the diagrams, you should definitly not install the devices!

Eltako has all its documentation in English. Got to the Eltako home page, switch the language to English and all the provided material is available in English.

Check out the this side. There you can get for example FTS14EM (PDF).

On the page above you will also find the Operating manual for Series 14 - in English.

1 Like

I want the FTS14EM because I have an existing Eltako setup in the house with the 12 series. All wall switches are monostable switches (toggles) which give a short 12V pulse to the teleruptor, which then switches the 240V either on or off.

But since I want to use openhab, I need a way to read the current status. I’ve built some circuits myself but they’re all too complex and error prone. Hence my idea to switch to Eltako’s 14 series.

The goal of the FTS14EM - as the documentation says - is to allow the existing switches to be connected to it, and let the FSR14s operate based on the inputs.

It should work, but I’m not getting any activity based on the EM. So either, I miscabled it (which I don’t think I am), or the unit is broken, but I’m not sure how to test it.

Hi @fruggy83 ,

Is it possible to change the baud rate or have option (9600 or 58Kb)? If we are using ESP 2 FAM14 and FGW14, we have to set FGW14 in position 6 (58 kbaud). I want to test 9600 baud because we can get a longer distance.

Also, Is any limitations on how many Gateways connect? I tried with four and it is working. When adding another one, it can rx but it can not tx to the Panel.

Hi everybody,

just a short question, when pressing a button in my setting (either in the UI or a hardware wall switch) I observe a minor delay until e.g. the FSR14-4x responses to openhab.

For example I press a button then the light turns on immediately but in the log I see a slight delay, about 1 to 2 seconds. This results in when I turn the light within the UI on I need to wait this time period until I can turn it off again.

With other bindings (e.g. Shelly) there is no such delay, i can turn it of and on in a very quick sequence.

Normally this should not be a big factor, but i want to toggle a LED in a Wallswitch on and off with a rate of 1 second. So this is not possible because Openhab (or the Binding, or Eltako) needs to long for response of the Item state.

Does anybody observe the same behaviour?

Best regards
Stefan

No, all my lights react immediately.
I can turn a light on and off several times within a second.

Hi Dirk,

thanks for your answer, thats interessting…

2023-01-04 22:19:54.723 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Item 'Buero_Licht_KR_Decke' received command OFF
2023-01-04 22:19:56.953 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'Buero_Licht_KR_Decke' changed from ON to OFF

As you can see in the log excerpt, there is a delay of about 2 seconds until the Light changes from ON to OFF. Anyway, the light itself turns on immediately.

Just to confirm, my things are set with broadcastMessages=true , suppressRepeating=false and my items are set with autoupdate="false". I guess this should be correct, may I ask for your setting?

I have about 250 items set for eltako devices, don’t know if this could be a factor.

Best regards
Stefan

Mine are switching immediately, too. Same as DirkDirk.
If you have 250 eltako items (which is far more than i have, 68), do you have sufficient BUS-Power? How many FSNT-14 do you have installed?

Edit: I do not have Auto-update false selected.

My lights work within ms:

2023-01-04 23:28:11.568 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item 'Essenleddecke' predicted to become ON
2023-01-04 23:28:11.580 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'Essenleddecke' changed from OFF to ON

UID: enocean:centralCommand:0cdc12d4
label: Essen Led Decke
thingTypeUID: enocean:centralCommand
configuration:
  enoceanId: Fff825A8
  senderIdOffset: 40
  suppressRepeating: false
  sendingEEPId: A5_38_08_01
  broadcastMessages: true
  receivingEEPId: F6_00_00
bridgeUID: enocean:bridge:5856287b

The meta data for auto update is only needed for dimmed actuators like the FUD and shutters like the FSB.

Good Morning,

wow, thanks a lot. The key was the autoupdate option. I have set this to each Switch, Rollershutter and Dimmer item.

Once removed from the Switch item I get also a response of my light within a few ms.

Thanks a lot guys!

Btw. My setup is quite big. It consists of two independet Eltako Busses, one starting with a FAM14, the other starting with a FTS14KS. They are connected via gateways to send messages from one to the other. The reason was due to the 127 ID’s limit. This works great now for about 5 months without any issues. Regarding BUS-Power, I have several powersupplys within the RS485 Bus for this.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

Best regards
Stefan