Fibaro RGBW Controller 2 (FGRGBW-442) - Device unknown - Openhab 2.4.0-1 Release-Build

Hallo,
i am quite happy with openhab and how it works, i was able to implement a lot of stuff. Therefore i had not a lot of questions up to now to all of you experts. However i am still a beginner and now facing my first problem.

I ordered two RGBW Controller by the fibaro group, a look at the supported device list was positive. Unfortunately i got the new version “2” in the end as i did not recognize the ending of the detailled description (FGRGBW-441 --> supported vs FGRGBW-442 not supported?! at the moment). Therefore now i have this device now dicovered initiated but then marked as unknown.
Details of the HABmin Properites:

Manufacturer: 010f “Fibargroup”
Type: 0902:1000
Firmware: 5.0

Openhab 2.4.0-1 (Release-Build)

Is there anything i can do to make this device to a known one? Is Openhab 2.5 already capable to interact with this device. Can i somehow try to use it as the supported Version 1 of this device?

Never hat do deal with stuff like that as up to now everything worked out fine.

Thanks for your support.
BR,
Sebastian

Seems you’re the first with this device. It is not in the ZWave database yet.
See https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-database-guide how to enter it. Once you’ve put it in, it’ll then be merged into the next 2.5 snapshot release of openHAB.
So to get it to work you would need to install that OH version once it becomes available.

That appears to not be in our database currently, as far as I can tell. I appears to be a Z-Wave Plus variant of our existing device.
OpenHAB should have created an xml file in the zwave folder in userdata. That, combined with an electronic copy of the manual is all that is needed to add the device. to the database.
After the new binding is generated, there is a script that can be used to update the zwave binding on your 2.4 system.

The database guide is here.

Hallo,
Thank you for this very fast answers. I will try my best on the Weekend!

I had a look at the documentation and it seems to me like not too difficult to do.

Nevertheless ist there a way to test it afterwards? Is there a way to Debug this. As i understand the Binding has to be updated and a Script was mentioned to include this in the current openhab?!
Or ist a new build of 2.5 the only possibility?

Best regards,
Sebastian

Thete is no good supported way of testing until the new binding is available.
The stable release of 2.5 is now planned for the end of this year Milestone 3 is pretty stable but there are still a few issues for some people. It is your choice whether to upgrade OpenHAB or just the binding.

Hello Bruce!

I have the same RGBW Dimmer arrived and tried to include it in my OpenHab(ian) 2.4 version.

I can see this device in the PaperUI Inbox appeared as unknown and can add this as a dumb Thing.

But no XML file has been created in my /var/lib/openhab2/zwave/ folder (but my other devices are there).

Any ideas or suggestions what can I do and how can I help with adding this one to the DB?

You need to include it properly, hit the correct buttons (see the manual).
The device won’t work without the xml.

1 Like

At which point OpenHab should create the XML? When I initiate inclusion and device appears in PaperUI Inbox or later when I add this found device as a Thing?

Sometime after you find the device as a Thing, depending on how long it takes for the device to give all the requested information.

Bruce, thank you, got it now!

Where should I post the XML and the link to the manual as you suggested earlier?

Here is fine or you can create the database entry yourself.

The database guide is here.

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-database-guide

Thanx Bruce,

as far as I see it requires registration and access rights to manage devices. And unfortunately I don;t feel myself comfortable with low level Z-Wave things like this (

Can I ask you or someone else to do this please?

The device is named “Fibaro RGBW Controller 2”, model code FGRGBW-442

This is the second version of the previous controller FGRGBW with newer Z-Wave chipset and some other changes. Not sure how much it is compatible with the previous version,

Official user manual with all advanced options can be found here:

https://manuals.fibaro.com/rgbw-2/

The XML file from OpenHab 2.4 attached here:

https://mydrop.host/f/2038fdfe3b5b48c09e77/

I have started working on this based on your xml.

EDIT: There are some complex configuration parameters I will need to add later. Just adding the easy things first.

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/1127

2 Likes

Hi Bruce,
Thanks you first of all for taking over this task!

I was willing to start on the weekend, XML and documentation were ready.
But it took till yesterday to get the permission to ad devices. During the week i have no time and then you already started to work in it.

Nevertheless i will follow your Implementation and will be ready when the next new device comes Up!

BR,
Sebastian

1 Like

You are welcome. Help is always welcomed especially where devices have a large number of configuration parameters with options. It is a lot of extra work to try and make it as user-friendly as possible.
It gets complex when they confuse at a level smaller than a byte. I wanted to wait until I was fresh to tackle some of that.

I have asked for assistance on how to best add some of the configuration parameters/

Hi Bruce, would you please advise:

I’ve got a pack with many new Fibaro devices based on this new chipset. Some were not recognised by my OH 2.4 appliance.

Should I create separate topics for each of them or can post it here?

P.S.
Your help is highly appreciated, thank you!

I am definitely not the only one working on zwave. I think a separate topic for each one, tagged as z-wave would be best. Some devices may need binding changes. Due to the developer’s backlog of work that could take a while. An estimate for one long-awaited change was a month from now.

By the way, sihui assisted and completed & reviewed this device. The database is usually exported weekly to GitHub and then the snapshot build system builds a new binding. Usually I would then recommend updating your binding but Kay’s be cautious here. The latest snapshot bindings appear to have an error.

I tried latest zwave binding build (from Oct-23-2019) and got the Fibaro rgbw 2 Controller thing after including it. But there has to be a bug remaining, see below.
For that reason zwave thing get stuck at “get_configuration”. Setting the brightness is fine but choosing a color does not work. Tell me what is needed to debug and i will provide :slight_smile:

2019-10-24 21:32:16.563 [ERROR] [alization.ZWaveNodeInitStageAdvancer] - NODE 41: Error in initialization thread
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “1colorMode=DIFF_WHITE”
at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65) ~[?:?]
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:580) ~[?:?]
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:615) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler.initialiseNode(ZWaveThingHandler.java:263) ~[192:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.5.0.201910230344]
at org.openhab.binding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler.ZWaveIncomingEvent(ZWaveThingHandler.java:1457) ~[192:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.5.0.201910230344]
at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController.notifyEventListeners(ZWaveController.java:566) ~[192:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.5.0.201910230344]
at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.initialization.ZWaveNodeInitStageAdvancer.setCurrentStage(ZWaveNodeInitStageAdvancer.java:1139) ~[192:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.5.0.201910230344]
at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.initialization.ZWaveNodeInitStageAdvancer.access$5(ZWaveNodeInitStageAdvancer.java:1130) ~[192:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.5.0.201910230344]
at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.initialization.ZWaveNodeInitStageAdvancer$1.run(ZWaveNodeInitStageAdvancer.java:207) [192:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.5.0.201910230344]

In the documentation When things don’t go as planned
The xml file from the zwave folder in the userdata may be useful too.