So, basically S.A.R.A.H. gives you the ability to setup and run openHAB without having to configure it or write all the code up front, but still allows you to customize it all you want. It gives you a starting place providing you a lot of the common functionality in minutes that you can extend and customize as your needs grow. It is the perfect starting place for the new openHAB user, saving you weeks or even months of work so you can focus on setting up the really cool stuff. If you already have openHAB setup, you can combine what you’ve already accomplished into S.A.R.A.H. and manage everything from the SCC. If you’re intersted in helping to test it out, let me know. Thanks!
Some background: I first started using openHAB in the Fall of 2018 and spent months learning the ‘ins and outs’ of openHAB, getting everything just so. I wanted to see what it could do and what it would take to do all the things I was looking to automate. I eventually got things running nicely and thought it would be helpful to automate the setup and maintenance process for other openHAB users. S.A.R.A.H. is what eventually evolved into that solution.
Here are some of the features currently available (more coming all the time):
- Speech preconfigured
- USB audio preconfigured and ready for speakers
- A fully functioning alarm system patterned after ADT - w/email alerts
- A tamper alarm to manage tamper alerts
- Vacation mode to intelligently turn lights on and off when you're away
- Pre-built and generated dashboards to help you manage the system
- Weather and Astromincal data preconfigured
- Streaming internet radio with channel presets
- Maria DB fully configured for persisting weather and current state data
- Raspberry Pi 3 & 4 support
- The S.A.R.A.H. Command Center (SCC) web app to help you:
- manage openHAB
- create a home template that will generate all the openHAB config files (things, items, rules, sitemap, etc.) - comes with pre-built templates to get you started
- manage all of S.A.R.A.H.'s settings
- manage the Raspberry Pi (send commands directly from the SCC)
- get S.A.R.A.H. updates with the push of a button
Some of the features coming up next:
- Garage door controller - already working, just need to package it up
- Remote access - also already working, just need to package it as well
- Alexa integration
- Some additional maintenance features, etc.
Bottom line, I’m looking for people to try it out and let me know what they think… all feedback is welcome!