Google Home - Actions (API) now available!

I was able to setup the binding using the iOS version of the Google Home app and am able to successfully control switches and lighting with the iOS version of Google Assistant.

@pauldsmyth & @jannegpriv

of course not. You re all important and have the same big value
you are openHAB as community.

Please remember: I wrote that Iam meeeega busy these days
but it is ok and I understand you.

Did you send me a PM with your google mail?
If not, I hope you dont think you will join by magic :slight_smile:
I am able to do alot
but I have no Magician Skills :slight_smile:

Easy, Just joking. Send me the mail and I add you.

BR Mehmet

1 Like

Mehmet,

First off, thanks for your hard work to put this together. This was my first interaction with Google Cloud (functions, actions, SDK, etc) so I can see how arduous it is. I had a few bumps getting it to work, in case it helps others I will put them here:

This would only be for Beta Testers since hopefully once fully functional nobody will need to know this :rofl:

Look forward to helping test, troubleshoot and perfect!

Ryan

I think that’s because there are no lights but only switches for now. At least for me my lights tagged “Lighting” are shown as switches. So if you say “turn off all lights” it does not know about any lights.

1 Like

Hi Florian, I already created a pull request to solve this.

1 Like

Hey stupüd question 

in the beta test do i need to get a oAuth2 Server ?

You do not need your own. With myopenhab + google-account, you have everything that you need.

2 Likes

It finally works for me as well. On Android the pairing failed. I was sent to the myopenhab page to allow access to Google Home but when I entered the credentials, nothing happened. The browser just displayed a blank page and Google Home did not register the authentication.
On iOS I was able to link the account though and once this was done, the test service appeared in the Android version as well.

I have a question about the Homekit tagging: How do you guys tag your existing PaperUI items? Do you redeclare them in .items files or do have to delete the items in PaperUI first?

About the existing Items => If you install Habmin, you can set the Tags in the Channels that you want to use. There is not need to create an extra .item file in that case.
If you want to do it via .item file, new items will be created, using the existing Channels. So it is not a must to delete the existing paper-ui-items.

Works like a charm for me. Only have the same issue whe adding new items you need to link again before they can be used. Great job!

It always say try again with me :pensive:

I try with google home app AND assistant app

I’m on iphone can you help me !?

at which point does it say “try again”? What did you do at that point?

1 Like

I Open my Google Home app, I go in home control option, I add a device, I select test openhab, I log in in myopenhab.org, I allow it, then he try to connect and i receive a message Try again later in grey at bottom of the screen

i can post a screenshot but my iphone is in french so 

This sounds like a problem that some people experience. Have you tried it a couple of times?

Hey @MARZIMA, Thanks for your hard work on this! My setup went smooth and I will bring it as a live demo to the Smart Home Day tomorrow, so people can try it out there!

1 Like

Hi to ALL,

I will soon push some new updates, fixes etc., after the SmartHomeDay & EclipseCon.
I am just really busy with the openHAB SmarthomeDay & Eclipse Con.
And not even speaking about my own company :frowning:. But dont worry soon we will get some new stuff around the Beta Test.

I have the following target:

• Fix some known issues and hickups
  • get more feedback, where the problems occur the most
  • Add some small missing features
  • Help new contributers to join as soon as possible (maybe with some explanatory tutorial or hangouts session)
  • If we all runs smooth: Submit the Action for official Actions on Google

Contributers can write me a PM or here, so I can know if I should prepare a “How to contribute” soon or should
focus on other stuffs first.

So hold tight, soon we gonna add more things together!
I will contact you soon!

BR Mehmet

6 Likes

Thanks to Mehmet, and all the other testers.
I have an interesting problem - English (Australia).

UPDATE: I bought a few Google Home minis today, and they work with the OH integration beautifully
I therefore applied a factory reset to my original Google Home, and it works now too!!
SIGH I am very relieved

As mentioned by other testers, if you make a change to your .items file, you need to re-link [test openHAB] in the Google Home App.

However, I am not sure if other are experiencing the following.
After a lot of testing, I have determined that I am unable to get my official Google Home to work. It is set up for EN-AU.
I have voice-recognizer-raspi running on a RaspberryPI 2. It speaks to me with an American accent, but it works fine with Mehmet’s Actions on Google code.
My Samsung Galaxy S6 (English Australian) also works fine, even thought the Actions “Surface” is set to speaker??

Every time I make a change in the Actions on Google console, I have to relink my account in Google Home.

When I make a change in the actions on google console, I get an error saying she is not able to control my home devices.

When it is working, I get the success notifications in the Actions Log.

Finally, I was using IFTTT to make direct webhooks calls to a webservice I am hosting on my home network, which controls lights (and other things) directly, but also updates the openHAB items. It took me a long time to force IFTTT and Google Assistant to stop trying to work together.

This google assistant to myopenhab integration is definitely the future, and I look forward to continue testing.

Thanks again to everyone involved

Cheers MG

Hi. Want to help and contribute to a project. But have one little problem. I did all setup except “Account Linkage”. Could someone describe where I need get/what to set in “Authorization URL” and “Token URL”? Client ID and secret I took from “https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/credentials”, is it correct?

Hello to ALL,

I have cancelled the Beta Test!

I made the test to include you guys in an early dev stage to test the integration and make you part of it.

Undortunately people were taking this and posted credentials here in the forum, which forced me to cancel the access and also now I need to re-setup things.

I didnt know that there is a way to see the clientID etc. in Google Cloud Dashboard and since you guys made it public here I have to re setup all those things, since it opens a security issue.

I made this in big trust to the community, but unfortunately people dont think twice: The Google Assistant function goes to the official myopenhab.org.
So why are you guys logging into the Google Cloud Dashboard and post the link to credentials page?

I mean you can think twice! I am not punishing anyone or wanna make this a big thing, but it is all about trust and community. But please understand that this posting of credentials is a problem and the reason we need to stop the test.
It also makes work for me now, since I ve to setup the projects again
instead of adding your feature requests, fixing issues etc.

So you guys need to wait for the official Action of openHAB. Please dont write to me and be sad, since this is serious stuff. And we want the best security for openHAB! And we want to make sure that no one can see and remember any credentials like ClientIDs.

Sorry and I hope you guys understand this.

Thanks & BR
Mehmet

12 Likes

Thanks for the hard work you’ve put into this.

I don’t imagine that people would have realized that they were causing a security issue and I suspect it’s linked to the more detailed instructions (Google cloud functions section and Actions on Google section) on the github project page.

I understand your need to lock things down and I look forward to the official release :slight_smile: