HomeHabit Dashboard - Original thread

Nice, this will be one of the most important points for me :smile:

Igor, you are creating a super sexy android app here :smiley: Really been missing these kind of widgets/screens you are adding here now, it finally makes the openhab experience fulfilled. What about making it open source and adding a optional donation? I will for sure donate! :wink:

Same Here!

Backing up Kai’s initiative… this sort of thing has come up before with other Android apps and other addons and Kai has also been trying to get people collaborating together to bring things to a common foundation as there are such a lengthy list of benefits.

You may consider a plan to eventually bring things together; which you could slowly progress toward over the years as you build your app.

5 Likes

I am also interested. I would love to have android tablets in each room with a UI like that for specific controls. +1 from me. I have been going down the road trying to create my own using dashing.io but it’s a little time consuming to configure everything.

I have been spending some time on the voice interaction lately.
I had few requirements from my everyday usage:

• server should know which device is sending voice command, e.g. if I’m saying “I’m leaving” it would understand that it comes from my phone
  • server should be able to respond after voice command, e.g. “I’m leaving” -> “Okay, locking all doors” or something like that
  • client/server should be able to work through command chain (multiple command/response in a row)
  • server should be able to send voice message independently of voice command coming from the client (this is a maybe, didn’t do it yet)

All of these are not related to voice command logic on server that is pretty static for me at this time (there is a very interesting thread going on about that).

So, in current implementation I have:

• ability to select an item in settings for voice command (can be different for each client)
  • voice command widget
  • voice command screen that stream of commands/responses
  • server responses are being read out loud
  • server can respond by posting update on the same item in following format: VoiceCommand_Igor.postUpdate(">okay, all lights are off")
  • server can initiate follow up command after response by: VoiceCommand_Igor.postUpdate("<"), this will restart the speech recognition in the client

Feedback is welcome. I’m curious to know what are others doing with voice commands.

1 Like

@fuglestad I decided to keep it closed source at this point, it might change in the future, if for example I won’t be able to move the project forward or something. At this point, I’m concentrating on getting the beta out and go from there.

1 Like

Hi Igor
I’m very interesting of your project , actually I used tablet wall mounted with dashing.io running in server side it’s working well but "not native " and not easy to use for all people

br’s

As one of the people expressing joy in the thread you just referenced I must say that I’m excited by your voice command ideas :slight_smile:

The one thing missing from my current setup is a good feedback channel. Currently am using pushbullet, but this is not very integrated, and it is a hassle to get my phone to read this message is aloud.

Having this integrated into up sounds very intriguing.

Having the service and voice messages as a kind of notification system independent of voice commands (your final bullet) is something I would very much like.

The “dialogue mode” with the follow-up commands is neat, although I don’t see any current use for it from my case at the moment. However, if the option is there, I will probably find some way to use it at some point :slight_smile:

Looking forward to test it :slight_smile:

Everyone,

Unfortunately, beta version is not be ready yet. I also have some vacation coming up, so it more likely to be 2-3 weeks before first release.

Meanwhile, few new themes have been added. These are mostly dark themes, however, general multi-theme support is in the app, so more themes will be added later.

1 Like

As long as you can give us a christmas present, all is good :sunny: :smiley:

Do you have any pending features jet before releasing beta?
It might be better to release with a smaller feature set. Then your testers are a bit more focused rather than testing every wired use-case you can think of. This might streamline the tickets you receive in case there is one or the other bug.
This way you can harden the software and add feature releases later. Just an idea for the release process.

Anyway thanks for the hard work and keeping us excited with the great screenshots.

1 Like

Nothing big, just small things here and there, but there are still some bugs which would need to be fixed before release, so that’s the main thing at this point.

Regarding beta release: original release will support only Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and up. Later, support will be added for 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and up. There are no plans to support earlier versions since those are relatively small percentage.

2 Likes

One case that I use right now is a confirmation on some large impact actions: something like “turn off all lights”, if speech recognition misunderstands that from some other command - that can be quite annoying to people around you :unamused:

Hey @igor
I just want to quickly check with you if there might be a christmas present available for us :smile:
Havent seen updates here for a few days now. Hopefully you’re on track and havent found any show blockers.
I guess here are some eagerly waiting beta testers like me who need an excuse for christmas and do some testing :wink:
Happy holiday season to all of you! :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

Agreed! :smile:

Hey @waitz_sebastian
Have been on vacation, but release is getting close. Don’t know if I can push it before christmas, but maybe :smile:

Happy holidays!

Everyone,
The application is being published to Play Store now. I will post invite link to store listing in G+ group after it is complete.
I’m releasing it in a bit rough state right now some things are missing or not working, so expect to have issues :slight_smile:
But updates will be coming soon.

Unfinished/confusing areas at this point:

• after OpenHAB server info entered during setup stage, it cannot be changed (app data should be cleared to reset)
  • Remote server URL is configurable but is not used yet
  • Errors with sitemaps are not reflected in UI (although some errors with individual widgets are highlighted)

I will also post sample configs a bit later.

Merry Christmas to all!

I downloaded, but get a force close every time I try to launch the app. Never get beyond app launch.

Unrooted SGS6, on 5.1.1

Looking forward to seeing how it looks!

@marklavercombe
Seems like issue with 5.x, checking on it