iOS app for OH3?

Hi.
Is there any ongoing work for transforming the iOS app for using the new GUI in OH3?

I have upgraded to a OH3 milestone, just wondering when the family members using iOS will get the benefit of all the new goodies :stuck_out_tongue:

You can use OH3 without any App on your iPhonesā€¦

1 Like

Ah, good point. Is there any way to put a shortcut on the home screen?

(sorry if itā€™s a stupid question. I live in the wonderful world of Android myself :sunglasses:)

As mentioned by hmerk you can use the webui without any app. Open safari, navigate to your oh instance and save the page as facorite on your home screen. A new icon for oh appears. If you open this the page opens in full screen without the safari header and toolbar.

4 Likes

Itā€™s certainly true that openHAB can be accessed from a browser on a phone, just as it always has. That said, the app provides additional benefits including push notifications and access to openHAB instances remotely.

I for one use my iPhone as my primary device and as much as I love the new UI, I wonā€™t be using it as my primary UI until itā€™s accessible in the app.

The iOS app has taken leaps and bounds this year, so Iā€™d like to give a big shout out to the developers whoā€™ve worked so hard on it. I have no doubt that it will evolve to include the MainUI eventually.

5 Likes

You can still use BasicUI with your ā€œoldā€ sitemaps with openHAB 3 and use it with iOS appā€¦

Or use Habot instead as the primary interface.

There was some attempt by @digitaldan back in May to add the main UI to the iOS app: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-webui/pull/259#issuecomment-632882344.
So thatā€™s definitely not out of the question - the Android app almost has it already.
Thereā€™s a small API for the web UI to communicate with a mobile app, so when in the app, the ā€œother appsā€ button on the home page calls a native function to ā€œreturn to the appā€ instead of opening the drawer.

1 Like

I updated my little hacked together prototype, it loads all the tiles from OH3 in the side menu, and uses the native IOS app for sitemaps, and a custom webview for the OH3 UI. Its the first time i have really ever touched Swift, so the code is awful, just warning anyone who looks: I checked in my work on my repo, https://github.com/digitaldan/openhab.ios/tree/oh3-ui . I have not touched base with @weakfl or @timbms about it.
out

2 Likes

@digitaldan is there a way to move this new feature to the official ios app? I donā€™t know how to move the code as app on my iphone :frowning:

The new UI is really great Yannick made great work on it! I would like to use this in combination with the push notifications. So a merge of this features would be great.

2 Likes

I would like to second that - I use the iOS app for a lot of things, a lot of my rules are configured to send push notifications to my phone. I would really lilke to see those in OH3

Unfortunately as i mentioned, the code is not great, and it is not tracking if a local or remote connection is made, so not ready for prime time yes. Also, I just realized what I pushed into my branch was a huge change set, which makes it unreadable (messed up merging), but the main file in question is at https://github.com/digitaldan/openhab.ios/blob/oh3-ui/openHAB/OpenHABWebViewController.swift . Iā€™ll open a ticket up and ask about what the next steps are.

3 Likes

The icon however is plain ugly on iOS.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but it does fit thematically quite well.

Iā€™d also love to see the new UI in the iOS app, but would use a Safari tab on the homescreen until then.

My problem with it:
Often it looks like everything is loaded and ready to go. However, switches show no reaction and absolutely nothing arrives at the openHAB server. This is a bit critical if you want to operate an alarm system, for example. Is it possible that something is being cached inappropriately?

I really would like, but BasicUI on iOS, from remote, stopped working for me when I switched to OH3ā€¦
Working only on localā€¦

1 Like

Just can say that it is working hereā€¦

@hmerk , would you mind sharing the app settings?

Thanks

Hi,

Sounds like I may have the same problem @lrweb ā€¦

I can access the WEBUI on newer iOS devices (iOS14), but not on my ā€œmain controllerā€ that is iOS9.5.3.

Iā€™ve also posted a separate thread on this topic here EDIT >> Corrected link

Solo

Sorry, have to revert my last answer, canā€˜t get it to work anymore :weary:

that means we should investigate further :slight_smile: