Hi.
Is there any ongoing work for transforming the iOS app for using the new GUI in OH3?
I have upgraded to a OH3 milestone, just wondering when the family members using iOS will get the benefit of all the new goodies ![]()
Hi.
Is there any ongoing work for transforming the iOS app for using the new GUI in OH3?
I have upgraded to a OH3 milestone, just wondering when the family members using iOS will get the benefit of all the new goodies ![]()
You can use OH3 without any App on your iPhones…
Ah, good point. Is there any way to put a shortcut on the home screen?
(sorry if it’s a stupid question. I live in the wonderful world of Android myself
)
As mentioned by hmerk you can use the webui without any app. Open safari, navigate to your oh instance and save the page as facorite on your home screen. A new icon for oh appears. If you open this the page opens in full screen without the safari header and toolbar.
It’s certainly true that openHAB can be accessed from a browser on a phone, just as it always has. That said, the app provides additional benefits including push notifications and access to openHAB instances remotely.
I for one use my iPhone as my primary device and as much as I love the new UI, I won’t be using it as my primary UI until it’s accessible in the app.
The iOS app has taken leaps and bounds this year, so I’d like to give a big shout out to the developers who’ve worked so hard on it. I have no doubt that it will evolve to include the MainUI eventually.
You can still use BasicUI with your “old” sitemaps with openHAB 3 and use it with iOS app…
Or use Habot instead as the primary interface.
There was some attempt by @digitaldan back in May to add the main UI to the iOS app: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-webui/pull/259#issuecomment-632882344.
So that’s definitely not out of the question - the Android app almost has it already.
There’s a small API for the web UI to communicate with a mobile app, so when in the app, the “other apps” button on the home page calls a native function to “return to the app” instead of opening the drawer.
I updated my little hacked together prototype, it loads all the tiles from OH3 in the side menu, and uses the native IOS app for sitemaps, and a custom webview for the OH3 UI. Its the first time i have really ever touched Swift, so the code is awful, just warning anyone who looks: I checked in my work on my repo, GitHub - digitaldan/openhab.ios at oh3-ui . I have not touched base with @weakfl or @timbms about it.

@digitaldan is there a way to move this new feature to the official ios app? I don’t know how to move the code as app on my iphone ![]()
The new UI is really great Yannick made great work on it! I would like to use this in combination with the push notifications. So a merge of this features would be great.
I would like to second that - I use the iOS app for a lot of things, a lot of my rules are configured to send push notifications to my phone. I would really lilke to see those in OH3
Unfortunately as i mentioned, the code is not great, and it is not tracking if a local or remote connection is made, so not ready for prime time yes. Also, I just realized what I pushed into my branch was a huge change set, which makes it unreadable (messed up merging), but the main file in question is at openhab.ios/openHAB/OpenHABWebViewController.swift at oh3-ui · digitaldan/openhab.ios · GitHub . I’ll open a ticket up and ask about what the next steps are.
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but it does fit thematically quite well.
I’d also love to see the new UI in the iOS app, but would use a Safari tab on the homescreen until then.
My problem with it:
Often it looks like everything is loaded and ready to go. However, switches show no reaction and absolutely nothing arrives at the openHAB server. This is a bit critical if you want to operate an alarm system, for example. Is it possible that something is being cached inappropriately?
I really would like, but BasicUI on iOS, from remote, stopped working for me when I switched to OH3…
Working only on local…
Just can say that it is working here…
@hmerk , would you mind sharing the app settings?
Thanks
Sorry, have to revert my last answer, can‘t get it to work anymore ![]()
that means we should investigate further ![]()