iOS app for OH3?

Sry, misread your first question. Can you please specify what you mean by “this”?

Sorry if I wasnt clear. I have the IOS app and understand that if I want to access OH3 via that I will need to create a sitemap and access it the same as i did in 2.5. I thought you were referring to using myopenhab.org to access MainUI and the pages within, which I dont beleive the IOS app allows, do I have that correct as what you are doing?

Maybe I jump in here as well :wink:

I can login on home.myopenhab.org with my account credentials.
This will show my mainUI OverView page.

However, if I login with one of the non-admin user accounts, I get a blank screen.

Any suggestion?

Yes, this is what what I understood as well.

Unfortunately no, sry.

Please give it some time (> 5 min).
The screen will appear after some time.

I am exposing my instance via Nginx with basic auth which is properly working from the web browser. At this moment i do not care about MainUI or Sitemaps I just would like to use shortcuts for certain things via the app. In order to get those working I need to configure both the local and remote URLs which I did. I can confirm that on Wifi the local setting work because with shortcuts I can turn on and off things. However when I am connecting remotely it is not working at all. I have the proper credentials specified.

I’ve created a sitemap as well for testing which does work locally but does not when I am connecting via the internet.

Any idea?

Does anybody know whether this is still true?

Hello,

has anyone an idea if it could work with a sitemap with just a webview pointed to the mainUI?

When i am connected to my local network the mainUI is shown as wanted, but i have actually no idea how i could access it though remote access:

Hi Alex,

the easiest way should be a VPN. Your router may have such a function (most provider-routers won’t offer that, but 3rd party products like Fritz!Box from AVM can do it) or you can do it with, for example, PiVPN, which will run a OpenVPN-Server on a Raspberry Pi.

Using VPN allows you to use your whole network from remote with an secure encrypted tunnel.

That’s my problem as well (see above).
And I did not find a proper solution to access mainUI through myopenhab.org.
That’s one of my most important open topics on OH3

1 Like

Hi @ankou87 , at first thanks for your reply!

Of course, this is one option. I already use a vpn connection for some use cases and, for excample, auto-connect to my vpn when my iphone connects to another wifi than my home-wifi. But i dont want to establish a vpn connection (no matter if manual or automatic), when i use 4G/5G.

I agree with @NCO , that this is one of the most important open topics on OH3.

That sounds interesting.
Is this on an iphone?
Which VPN app do you use for this function?

My VPN at home is activated / deactivated depending on my phone’s state in my wifi, but I always need to manually deactivate VPN on may phone.

Any help how you handle this would be greatly appreciated.

@NCO , I use VPN on demand function of iOS. U can easily configure it with a text file. Here is an excample:
https://www.loxwiki.eu/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=1638839#content/view/1638839

You can configure, if von connects always, in special WiFi or just at mobile connections.

I tried a few different things and ended up using the WireGuard app on the iPhone. Love it. The peer on the other side is a Ubiquiti ER-X.

No one an idea, how the mainUI could be wrapped into the sitemap? Could it be an option to setup a local openhab cloud instance?

AFAIK this is not possible yet.

Still no MainUI via the IOS Apple App to myopenhab.org? How is this not a priority seriously. Its disjointed. You have the Android app support it just fine, yet Apple doesnt.

Wasn’t that a consideration PRIOR to building the UI? Seems really odd.

If you subscribe to the TestFlight beta, the new build does offer support for the MainUI.

As for why it’s taken so long, the simple answer is because openHAB is open source, and the developers are not paid. Therefore, they work on whatever they want to, and us users get to benefit from using awesome software for free. I get that it’s frustrating - I’ve certainly been excited to use MainUI on my phone and have actually been running everything in sitemaps even though I switched to OH3 when it was released. However, I don’t have the skills to develop, so I’m just resigned to be a grateful user (and try to help on the forum when I actually have time).

I believe the iOS app had several developers get too busy with their personal and/or work lives to keep contributing, and it wasn’t actively progressing for several months this year. Fortunately, it has been making some forward progress lately, and by joining the beta program you can help identify bugs to help the developers deliver a better release. Personally, I’ve not had any issues with using the MainUI in the beta version of the app and use it daily on my primary phone.

If you want more behind the scenes updates, subscribe to updates on the Github repo.

4 Likes

thank you so much! this is a good way to start! everything seems to work perfeclty, but i cannot access to main ui buttons pointing to external link.
i mean, i have published frontail port 9001 and sitemap to be reachable from outside to my dyndns, but these links are not working.
any idea why?

When using those from inside your network, do you still use your dyndns URL to access them ?
Normally, tiles are configure with internal URL, which won’t work from outside your network.

yes, i’ve decided to use on OH3 UI external DynDNS so it can work both from inside LAN and offside…
i’ve tried to use it from my local computer and also remotely from myopenhab page and both works.
from mobile app when clicked does nothing to page that point to “external url”…