Looking for a simple temp control for a water heater. (Sonoff/Mqtt)

Hi guys,
after a full day of tinkering, I’v got OH2 up and running on a RPI.
Now I need a simple control for a water heater like temp <50C Power on / >70C Power Off.
A Temp setting in the Webui would be great also.
What I have so far:
A “Sonoff TH16” connected via MQTT, which displays the proper Temp. in OH2
A “switch” in OH2 which also works, so I can turn on/off the Sonoff TH16
home.items:

Number SonoffTemp "Aktuelle Temperatur [%.1f °C]" <temperature> {mqtt="<[broker:tele/sonoff-TH16/SENSOR:state:JSONPATH($.DS18B20.Temperature)]"}
Switch Schalter "Ein/Aus" <light> (LR,gLight){ mqtt=">[broker:cmnd/sonoff-TH16/POWER:command:*:default],<[broker:stat/sonoff-TH16/POWER:state:default]" }

home.sitemap

sitemap home label=“TEST”
{
Frame label=“TH16”
{
Text item=SonoffTemp
Switch item=Schalter icon=“light”
}
}

So I think, I need some kind of rule, which triggers/reads the temp and switches the Sonoff on/off?
I tried some code snippets from here and there, but none of them worked as expected.
Any help (understandable for a non-coder) please…

untested

rule "xxx"
when
   Item SonoffTemp changed
then
   if ( SonoffTemp.state < 50 && Schalter.state != ON) {Schalter.sendCommand(ON)}
   else if ( SonoffTemp.state > 70 && Schalter.state != OFF) {Schalter.sendCommand(OFF)}
end

Show us what you have tried
Write a rule from the snippets, it probably won’t work but we’ll help you make it work as show you why it was not working
We won’t write a rule for you but we’ll help make your work. It’s the best way to learn
If we just give you a rule that you then copy and paste, the next time you need another rule to do something else you’ll be just as stuck.
So have a go, you can’t really break anything

Seems, I was just to impatient, because my Sonoff sends MQTT states only every 5 minutes, so I just had to wait…
I guess @Harry is also correct, since his rule is almost identical.
Thanks so far: :+1:
Now to the next step…any ideas how to realize the Temperature settings via Webgui?
BTW: I’ve used this rule:

rule “Water too cold”
when
Item SonoffTemp changed
then
if (SonoffTemp.state < 30) {
Schalter.sendCommand(ON)
}
if (SonoffTemp.state > 33) {
Schalter.sendCommand(OFF)
}
end

What do you mean?

something like this.

But after a quick look into the code, I think, I will probably skip that idea…

It’s very easy
You need two items
KomfortTemp and SparTemp

Then use (KomfortTemp.state as Number) in your rule to use their values

add to your items and sitemap

Setpoint item=WunschTemp minValue=18 maxValue=24 step=0.5

and rule

rule "xxx"
when
   Item SonoffTemp changed or
   Item WunschTemp changed
then
   if ( SonoffTemp.state < (WunschTemp.state -1) && Schalter.state != ON) {Schalter.sendCommand(ON)}
   else if ( SonoffTemp.state > (WunschTemp.state +1) && Schalter.state != OFF) {Schalter.sendCommand(OFF)}
end

Ok, it’s in the Webui and I can change the values up and down.
I used the rules above, but the Sonoff does not switch ON/OFF
home.rules

rule "xxx"
when
   Item WunschTemp changed
then
   if ( SonoffTemp.state < (WunschTemp.state -1) && Schalter.state != ON) {Schalter.sendCommand(ON)}
   else if ( SonoffTemp.state > (WunschTemp.state +1) && Schalter.state != OFF) {Schalter.sendCommand(OFF)}
end

.sitemap:

Setpoint item=WunschTemp label="Komfort Temperatur" icon="heating" minValue=25 maxValue=40 step=0.5

.items:

Number WunschTemp "WunschTemp [%.1f]"

rule "xxx"
when
    Item WunschTemp changed
then
    if ( SonoffTemp.state < ((WunschTemp.state as Number) - 0.5) && Schalter.state != ON) {Schalter.sendCommand(ON)}
    else if ( SonoffTemp.state > ((WunschTemp.state as Number) + 0.5) && Schalter.state != OFF) {Schalter.sendCommand(OFF)}
end

That works great!
Thank you very much.
Tomorrow I will try to implement a “min/max temperature” solution.
I think, with this working examples now, it shouldn’t be a major issue…otherwise :grinning:

As I said in post #7
Remember to use as Number to get the state of an item number to a Number Type

(WunschTemp.state as Number)

Hi
I’ve just set something like this up for a client.

I used a slider in their UI for the target temperature and another slider to set the Hystisis (they opted for a +/- of 4°c in the real world and a target of 50°c, the image below is from my development setup)