Myopenhab not reachable

nope it is still not working

Still working here… Strange…

restarted openhab and mines running fine again

To negotiate this issue.
I use NGINX authentication on the openhabe raspberry pi, i then access my openhab using a chrome web browser and type http://mypublicip

i have setup nginx to use port 70, and forward to port 80 internally.

My router is setup to port forward 70 to my openhab local ip.

this way, i can save a webpage on my home screen, which goes straight to my sitemap using my IP instead of the cloud. The benefit of this is, its about 3 times faster to load, do any actions, etc.

I still have the openhab app installed and connected to the cloud so i can get notifications.

I restarted the clound binding, and it seems to be running again.

Sorry, the max connection limit just bit us again, i incorrectly thought we had more time, and was just sitting down to fix this and start the migration of a few of our hosts when i saw this message, uhg…

I went ahead and bumped the connection limit up on the DB server, i should have done this right away but wanted to do a little research before. I also restarted the services as i’m not 100% sure what the hangover would be of having so many requests starved for connections, it may have come back on its own, but i did not want to chance it.

Just an FYiI, I have 2 more servers that are about ready to go that i am going to swap in place of 2 existing ones so we don’t get randomly migrated by our provider who has scheduled maintenance set for them. That process can be slow, and i don’t want us down 1 or 2 servers. if we don’t have to be. I’m hoping to do this tomorrow in a rolling migration that would not cause downtime .

6 Likes

Down here too, gateway timeout. It’s also causing Alexa to fail controlling devices. No more voice control, tried to disable the skill and re-enable it, now it wont authenticate.

The service is restarting , it takes a while (hour) when this happens, the thundering heard slams the service for about an hour, then things resume back to normal.

Not sure how the Alexa skill communicates with openHab, I am assuming it uses the cloud connector, which is why it’s not working right now. In the future could we not use local connections with the skill if available? Much like the openHab app itself works. This would also make things much more responsive and alleviate the ‘thundering heard’ problem your end.

Hello,

My cloud connection still won’t budge. Keep getting timeouts on the iOS app, 504 page on the webpage and “xhr poll request” errors in the openhab log. Am I missing something? Will everything automatically settle when the service is back up or do I have to reset something myself?

Thanks,
Best regards

You should wait few time and it will be ok. If you will read that the server is up but your cloud is not connected, you can try to restart your application or only the cloud binding with followind commands:

openhab-cli console
bundle:list | grep Cloud

You will see a line like this:

228 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.4.0 │ openHAB Cloud Connector Bundle

So, my binding id is 228 and than I can restart it with follow command:

bundle:restart 228

1 Like

Since it hasn’t come up in this thread, I suggest bookmarking http://status.openhab.org/ so that you can check if the cloud service is having issues. It’s not always accurate, but it’s still the next best thing to @digitaldan explaining what’s happening while also trying to get the servers back online.

If you want to contribute to a solution, I suggest a donation to help the foundation’s infrastructure keep pace with openHAB’s increasing user base. Otherwise, I suspect we’ll see these outages occurring more frequently.

https://community.openhab.org/t/donating-to-openhab

2 Likes

Donation is make.
But why not open a server with a paid subscription for people :slight_smile: who use it every day and need stability ? I love openhab, but cloud is a real problem for us here

3 Likes

The openHAB Foundation is a non-profit organisation and therefore can not offer payed services . Just simple as that.
If you are happy to pay for such a service, setup and run your own cloud service.

2 Likes

The openHAB Foundation is a non-profit organization, and from what I’ve read in the community there are strict rules in Germany about what a non-profit can and can’t do. Operating a paid service is in the “can’t do” column.

Technically, everybody who’s using the cloud connector uses it every day…it’s not just active when you’re talking to Google or Alexa. It’s also serving remote access via the apps, connections to IFTTT, etc. So really, we just need more servers to keep up with the ever-increasing demand (@digitaldan, please correct me if I’m mistaken).

It’s been suggested by others that nothing is stopping an enterprising openHABer from starting their own service and charging for access to it. I’d do it myself if I could, but I have neither the time nor the expertise.

I know that openhab is a non-profit association, :slight_smile: , but may be it is possible to create a small structure in parallel.
Managed a business is my job, but I do not have enough computer skills :confused:

I became quite dependant on openhab and all it’s features also :crazy_face:

I personally really appreciate all your work Dan… Atm however, the service is down again, (but you probably already know)…

For personal interest, I would like to know, if you provide this cloud service and the hardware in private? Or is the servers in commission somewhere?

I wonder, if more people set up their own cloud service, if it could be shared as one whole service with lots of servers running all over the world? Or would they be totally isolated? I know there may be some questions about privacy in this matter… But whats most important… A fully stable cloud servvice, or privacy?

I´ll start a new thread about this matter as well as the Foundation as I believe they´re close connected. We need to discuss how to solve this for the cause of openHab2, as I believe the cloud service is a highly important matter.

Maybe a solution could be, to make it more easy to setup the cloud service? I dont have the required experience either. But I´m willing to give it a try, if we could get someone (developers) to help and make it easier to set up. I doubt I´ll charge anything. I dont see why… If I should charge anything, it would be strictly charging for supporting the Foundation only. But first I need to know:

1. How to set up a cloud service (I dont need a whole bunch of Linux mumble about things I dont understand).
  2. Would it be possible to share this cloud service together with other cloud services (like myopenhab)?
  3. Would it matter at all, except for my personal setup only?
  4. How much bandwidth does it require? I´ve got a full speed (full duplex) 300Mbit fiber-optic internet connection with a static IP.

I´m used to hosting services like web, mail and dns. I suspect it´s simular hosting an openhab cloud service?

We should probably discuss this in another thread.

2 Likes

The problem with creating a personal cloud service is that it isn’t compatible with IFTTT, google, alexa … etc , no ?

I’m happy to second this.

I buy server space and hosting, so if it’s possible to put the required back end onto the services I pay for, I am happy to look into a subscription management system.

@digitaldan
Is this something you’d be willing to help with, or is it too far away from your core interests?

Then the obvious question to everyone else is…

£€¥$¢ What would be an acceptable monthly / annual subscription cost ?