Need help in finding the right HW for my new smart home

While the idea is sound, if you were starting again I’d say to run cat5 cable for flexibility. Not only would it allow longer RS485 runs, it can be used for several other technologies if things change later. Even alarms :smiley:

Probably yes, but back in the day the alarm cable was both free :slight_smile: and shielded (it runs next to the mains) so it seemed a logical choice. STP is still expensive for cat5.

2 Likes

Thank you for making this blunt observation.

Please accept my apologies, like so many “professionals”, I’ve completely overlooked the fact that people do need to start at the beginning.

To make amends, I have created this short (if 16 minutes is short) video that covers the very basics of a wired control system.

Obviously I have used Velbus hardware, but the basics apply to most modern digital control systems.

Separate thread on the installation of wired systems

3 Likes

Pro or not Pro… I would recommend everyone to start from the beginning, everytime :smiley:

2 Likes

I built my new house in 2015/16. I had no idea about smart homes. My Electrician suggested to use KNX, even if it’s quite expensive. Because the ability to change and upgrade later is very good. I am very happy now, that I have this system! You can still make the same parts DYI, but this is much more work. Also the power consumption of the KNX is very low. Nevertheless I combined it with Openhab for visualization and other systems like Z-Wave. The big + of KNX is, that it is one bus, it is wired! and if the LAN fails, the KNX is still working. It it really easy expandable and changeable. Rules are managed with openhab, but if that fails, its ok.
I also recommend Z-Wave, but not for long distances!
ESP-easy for senzor data over Mqtt is nice!
If you are looking for a cheaper, non-cloud solution, there is also Loxone. Check it out.
But I strongly recommend a wired bus solution independent on the LAN!

2 Likes

Just for reference, I wouldn’t describe Loxone as cheap anything.

It needs a central control unit, that I understand has a base price of around £450.

In contrast, Velbus doesn’t need anything other than the modules you want to use.

A minimum setup ‘might’ be.

(All prices quoted at full retail, Inc tax)

A USB interface module - €121

4 channel relay - €188

2 button glass panel - €100 (plus back box and mounting frame ~€4)

15v PSU - priced to suit current requirement