Netatmo temperature and chart

After trying to use Home Assistant for some time I have decided to switch to openHAB for a few reasons, charts, interface and a very active development. I thought I start very simple with visualizing current temperature and a temperature chart of my Netatmo sensor. Installing openHAB was easy and I have also managed to connect the Netatmo with the help of Paper UI. Now to my question, how to I visualize the current temperature, store time series data and show this in a nice looking chart? In the future I would like to add more sensors to the same chart. Preferable I would like to use graphical interfaces as much as possible and I also like the appearance of Habpanel.

Sincerely
Max

If you want some control over charts I recommend Influxdb+Gradana. You have full control over how the charts look and can include them in sitemaps (basicui, classic UI, phone apps) or Habpanel.

Habpanel itself has a good charting capability.

See the following for hire to set up persistence:

http://docs.openhab.org/configuration/persistence.html

And this posting for how to use and manage multiple persistence engines since each is better suited for different things.

I managed to set up sensor things that works fine but I do not think the persintrance databases works. I installed InfluxDB (v 1.0) Persistence and RRD4j Persistence and configurated RRD4j as Default Service. The link http://docs.openhab.org/configuration/persistence.html has no information about how to setup databases for Openhab2. Any help would be useful.

Sincerely
Max

The first link above is to a full step by step tutorial to install and configure Influxdb.

The link you posted itself has a link to the wiki which has a separate page for each supported database and generic information that applies to all (e.g. .persist files).

For rrd4j you only need install it and create a .persist file. If you want to chart from rrd4j you need to use an everyMinute strategy.

1 Like

This is hard. I found a folder called /etc/openhab2/persistence where I placed a textfile called rrd4j.persist with the following content

Strategies {
everyMinute : "0 * * * * ?"
default = everyMinute
}

Items {
Temperature*, Humidity*, Noise* : strategy = everyMinute
}

I have no idea if this is right but I guess I soon will find out. I am also supposed to edit a file called openhab.cfg in a folder called configurations but I can not find a folder like that in openHab2. Any ideas?

Sincerely
Max

First, realize that * isn’t a a wild card. It means “all the members of this group.” So if you don’t have a Temperature group this won’t work.

Secondly, if you are working with rrd4j, you likely have nothing to configure fur rrd4j. But if you do, create a rrd4j.cfg file and the parameters go there, with the rrd4j: first part removed.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I thought * was a wildcard. Now it works!

Sill I have two more questions:

• How are you supposed to wotk with naming items* Right now I have no groups or categorys, I work in simple mode in paperUI so all things have rather strange names. The category name can be found in the names like yahooweather_weather_ 463388fb_temperature.
  • I have found two folders on my Raspberry that contains folders with a readme.txt with the text “rrd4j persistence files go here”. Both /etc/openhab2/persistence and /var/lib/openhab2/persistence/rrd4j . Is this a bug. As far as I can see the text file in /var/lib/openhab2/persistence/rrd4j is not used.

Sincerely
Max

In Simple Mode for Item Linking, openHAB 2 generates by itself the (strange) Item names.

You could disable Simple Mode and either edit the names or create them manually within your *.items files in /etc/openhab2/items/ folder.

The main persistence strategy config file (rrd4j.persist) is the one in the /etc/openhab2/persistence folder.

The /var/lib/openhab2/persistence/rrd4j/ folder stores the actual “database”, not the configs.

In my OH2 (Stable 2.0.0) on rPi3, the readme.txt (with small r) in /etc/openhab2/persistence says:

Your persistence configuration goes here.
All persistence files have to have the ".persist" file extension and must follow a special syntax.

Check out the openHAB documentation for more details:
http://docs.openhab.org/features/persistence.html

The Readme.txt (with capital R) in /var/lib/openhab2/persistence/rrd4j says:

rrd4j persistence files go here

Which version of OH2 are you running?