Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB

I am also a bit curious about funding… A private message might be more appropriate for sure, but after receiving the same “not available” notification and reading here that it is too popular to be free, I also got curious about the future of integration. Not that I am interested into the financing and economics, but just to have some understanding about the future as I am heavily relying on both myopenhab and google assistant integration, and it seems unlikely that the cost would go down from here, as this integration is just too awesome, you basically just need a phone :slight_smile:

I mentioned few times that I would likely pay for myopehab.org service and to support the project but got response that it is not planned. And that is ok if myopenhab.org is sustainable by donations in both money and time, but Google is now charging for integration so…

How long until we either miss google assistant from myopenhab, or it becomes “premium” feature? :slight_smile:

To pay for myopenhab.org you can join the openHAB Foundation. The money paid goes to pay for myopenhab.org, this forum, the docs site and other costs necessary to keep the openHAB project running.

I’ve read about Google charging for Google Maps integrations but I’ve not read anything about their charging for Google Home/Assistant integrations. Do you have any links? A quick Google search didn’t reveal anything.

no sorry, i read

and I assumed we are now in the paid tier category

Thanks, I read a bit but somehow entirely missed this part of support. I just donated something when I saved some money using openhab or my wife was super happy with automation :slight_smile: (later is not that often unfortunately…)

1 Like

Thanks for your donation, we received it. I hope this time you donated because your wife was happy and not because you merely saved money :smiley: .

How long until we either miss google assistant from myopenhab, or it becomes “premium” feature?

No need to worry so far. Afaik, we do not yet have to pay any “real” money to Google and the financial situation of the Foundation is stable thanks to our members and donations like yours!

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I’d hit this a couple of times recently. I thought my “solution” was the reason it started working. It may have been a combination of both the Google Cloud threshold and my solution because things began functioning “incrementally”. If it had been just the Google threshold, probably nothing would have worked until that block was lifted.

@rlkoshak, I was not aware of this opportunity. It is more than worth joining and making a donation. I will do so as soon as I finish posting this note. I trust that these funds can also be used to pay for the Google Assistant integration when it does become “real” (@Kai) money :wink:

Regards.

Mike

1 Like

Perhaps joining the foundation could be announced/described a bit more visible (and still subtly) on frequently visited pages, perhaps on footer of community pages and documentation. Not too long, but just letting people know that starting with “a bag of chips a month” they can have huge inpact on the future of the project. Minimal support basically costs like donating one smart switch every two years, and project saves a lot of money to the end user by providing same functionality (or even more) then some commercial solutions

2 Likes

Will openHab be able to communicate with Google Home hub?

@Kim_Andersen,

I don’t know the answer to your question definitively. But I am going to make a statement to begin the discussion - i.e., am I right or wrong and, if so, how and what is correct.

This device is a Google Assistant device. Therefore the openHAB integration ought to transparently support the new device.

In addition, this is now a video Chromecast whereas the previous devices were just audio Chromecast devices. Thus, any Chromecast openHAB integration should apply to this device.

Thus, yes, this device ought to be supported by currently available openHAB integrations.

Now then, talk amongst yourselves :wink:

Mike

1 Like

As far as I can tell, the openHAB action will be supported just like all other Google Assistant devices, but without visual represetnation. That is, the device won’t run any other apps (it’s running a stripped down version of Android Things for IOT devices). It only seems to have built-in screens for YT, music, weather, etc…). I’d consider getting one, if it would support running the OH Android app. Though, I also read that the screen is tiny (iphone 8 size), so it might not look so great, anyway.

I plan on buying one as soon as they´re released here in Denmark.

1 Like

I’m also interested in the Google Home Hub.

Does someone know if e.g. the KNX triggered lights can also be integrated into the Google “Home View” which is a simple UI included in the Google Home Hub to control the different things (lights etc.) inside the home?

I’m not quite sure how it works right now but perhaps someone else here knows. It would be awesome to use the Google “Home View” as a simple additional way of being able to interact with the home. (without the voice)

A new version of the Google Home app has been released. It now includes device control, which may make the openHAB native app kind of duplicate…

But are we able to add our things configured in openhab to the Google Home? I still don’t get the integration we still have with Google Home at the moment. So will I be able to go to my Google Home app and switch of my KNX controlled light?
As I understand it it would work like Google Home > my openhab > local openhab > KNX. Is that correct and is this already possible with the current Google Home openhab integration?

When adding a device to my Google Home app I’m allowed to add Openhab.

@droid - Yes! It’s already possible to add your devices to Google Home (via myopenhab). Read my how-to article/video here for information how to tag your items and link them in the Google Home app.

As far as the new view in the Google Home app, i’m not sure it fully allows control yet. In my app, Chromecast devices show up with a link below them (e.g. “Play song”), while openHAB items only show up with a configuration link (i.e. change the room assignment, label, etc.), with no possible actions yet…Hopefully that’s something Google will add in the future.

1 Like

I can confirm you can now control openHAB items like: dimmers, lights, thermostats from the new Google Home app View.
Items can be any items/things supported in openHAB including KNX, BTicino, etc.
This is not surprise : it’s actually what you can already do from Apple Home kit, Siri, Alexa or Google Assistants.
It’s just something that was terribly missing in the Google Home app and now is available…

2 Likes

This is awesome. I can’t wait to get my hands on the whole stuff.

Just tried it again (after restarting the app), and it also works for me! Still need some way to switch multiple selection devices (eg audio inputs into my amp), but it’s definitely a step forward in making the Home app more of a one stop control point,

Hi,

@Marzima For my information, if this gets deployed, do I need to upgrade to V2.4.0-M5 of OpenHAB to activate it or is this an openHAB-cloud side activation?
@aart Will this also activate the ‘Scene’ tag mentioned on your page on GitHub?

Thanks.

Yes, if Marzima is deploying my changes then the scene tag will also work with google assistant!

1 Like