Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB

For me it would hopefully mean a better matching icon in Home Control/Google Assistant (the way Philips Hue scenes are depicted) plus I noticed that when I use the word ‘light(s)’ in a scene name which is currently controlled by a ‘switchable’, the ‘switchable’ scene gets a lamp icon assigned in Google Home in stead of a switch icon, which is a bit untidy as now I have switch icons and lamp icons controlling my scenes. I hope this will be prevented by using the proper ‘scene’ tag but only time will tell. :slight_smile:

Yes you’re right!
The icon will match better. The scenes also appear under the scene tab in the routine section in the google home app.

On you’re request: I’ve added the OUTLET too!
An outlet is exactly the same as a switch, but with a different icon.
You can use it with the new [ “Outlet” ] tag.

be patient as Marzima has to make some time to merge and deploy the new features!

2 Likes

Is there any way to have more control in case of the commands “turn on/off all lights”
Google sometimes wrongly thinks I want to turn everything on/off which can be annoying when you have many devices, especially for things like curtains.
Also for some integrations it could be more efficient to use their all on/off commands instead of doing them one by one.

For now the workaround I’m using is to use routines to overwrite some common ways to turn everything on/off, but I keep bumping into new ones.
I don’t mind if I need to dive into the code to solve this, but any direction would be helpful

@aart
Thanks for your efforts!
Please see my remarks at https://github.com/openhab/openhab-google-assistant/pull/38#issuecomment-429626654

Maybe you can tackle this and I can test, deploy and folks get happy :slight_smile:

Thanks & BR
MEhmet

1 Like

It is nice to see that I can control openHAB from my Google assistant/Google home. But unfortunately I can’t add the the OpenHab action to my google assistant?

I found it on this link
https://assistant.google.com/services/a/uid/000000f5c61c627e?hl=en-US

Is it possible that it is not working because my phone is in Dutch? Hope someone has a solution for me.

• Jordk

Switch your phone to English.
configure Google Home.
Switch back to Dutch.
For me (Dutch too) it works.

With the new Google Home app you do not need to switch to English anymore.
It does however not seem to work well with Dutch voice commands via Google Assistant.
When you go to the Dutch version of the “What can it do” page on the website mentioned above (as found here) it will not find the OpenHab integration either, so maybe that is related?
@aart, @MARZIMA, is there a logical explanation for that, and is this something that can somehow be implemented?

How much should an average user contribute to cover the cost?

I’m happy to pay for a service.

(Likewise with the openhabcloud service)

Ah thanks jou!
I will give it a try
Do you need a Google home for it? Or just the app.

Maybe I will wait for Google home to be dutch.
(end of this month)

• Jordo

You just need the app.
Google Assistant is also running on your (Android) phone, but for the best experience, I highly recommend a true Google Home.
Dutch is fully supported on your phone and in a couple of weeks, it should be fully functional on the Google Home.

1 Like

Ah thanks for your information!
I hope they can make the openhab action also available in Dutch for easier install and support.

But until then, I will install it this way :slight_smile:

Update
It works great!
Only colored lights will be turned on in a random color.

• Jordo

You might consider this way of supporting it, it starts from really affordable amount and up to as much as you are comfortable :slight_smile:

1 Like

When switching virtual items on or off it will works, but I will always get a spoken message that the device could not be reached (translated from german - wording might be slightly different in englisch). I do not have this problem with items that have a binding. Is this a bug that can be fixed?

I can confirm that bug

1 Like

I believe i have the same issue, i havent spent much time debugging but i noticed that items without bindings (so far) work, however google additionally replies with “sorry i am unable to reach…”

Ill debug later to isolate the issue further, just havent had time yet

Now all very many cheap devices have integration with google home, it would be nice if we could somehow add them to openhab from google home to create rules and customizations.
Google home has what we lack in openhab, integration with more and more devices.
I have seen outlets with control of google home in aliexpress very cheap, rgb drivers, power strips … but today I am very angry not being able to integrate them into openhab.

1 Like

@aart,
I ve some time these days (or force to have it).
Can you please provide the other PRs like the scene stuff etc., so I can test merge and deploy all things at once?
Would be awesome. Plannkng to do the release on Monday Night or Tuesday.

Thanks & BR
Mehmet

4 Likes

Hi @MARZIMA,

Is it also possible to add support for color items?
Until now only the brightness of the color item is changeable, but it would be very nice to be able to change the color too.

• Jordo
1 Like

@MARZIMA,
Thanks for the merge for the thermostat additions.
I’ve created 2 new pull request: one for the Scene and one for the Outlet.
It would be very cool when you deploy this!

1 Like