OH2/ESH DMX binding

Well, diy, there is the http://forkineye.com/espixelstick-v2-assembly-usage-manual/

Like this:
https://www.ulrichradig.de/home/index.php/dmx/wlan-art-net-node

Exactly, thank you!

Hi, should persistence/restoreOnStartup work with this binding?
I have mapdb running, but all dmx items are 0 on restart. Other items working fine. No group filters active in persistence rules.
Thanks Matt!

I don’t know. The binding itself knows nothing about items. It also doesn’t know what the actual DMX output is (since this is one-way-communication), so best guess is to set everything to 0. This is communicated via the thing’s channels to the items (if a REFRESH is requested) and also to the DMX output.

If you restore the item’s values afterwards, probably nothing happens, because I guess (without looking at the code) that this is done via postUpdate, not sendCommand. The DMX binding only reacts to commands, so it will know nothing about the item’s state change.

A workaround maybe to set the item-states from a rule via sendCommand.

Some questions about the DMX binding.
I use it with RGBW LED strips.

• When I set a color using the colorwheel and then send a “OFF” command the LED strip goes off. when I then send a “ON” command, the LED strip goes back on but not in the same color is was. The v1 DMX binding always came back to the last light status when sending a “ON” command.
  • When using the colorwheel on a 4 channel thing (RGBW LED strip) the 4th channel does not work? In the android app you can dim the LEDs but you can’t control the white channel with the second slider.

Regarding the first point: see OH2/ESH DMX binding and dynamicturnonvalue should be your friend.

Regarding the second point: there is no transformation between hsb and rgbw that returns the same values if the inverse direction is requested. That makes it impossible to keep rgbw and openhab‘s color picker (hsb) in sync.

thank you for your anwer but the links are not working anymore. Is it possible to upload the jar file again?

dynamicturnonvalue what do this? (I don’t know it)

The link is no longer available because the feature is already available in latest master builds.

The lasted master builds are the snapshots?

Why isn’t it possible to update the bindings in your running openhab system? (like apps on your smartphone)

The last days I tested the “dynamicturnonvalue” function together with the last snapshot binding.
I have the following problem:
Sometimes the values (RGB) are changed to 0 (or almost 0).
I think that when I turn OFF a RGB LED strip that sometimes the “dynamicturnonvalue” function used values of the RGB LED strip when it is almost OFF.
I use this options on my thing: [dmxid="1/3", fadetime=1000, dimtime=5000, dynamicturnonvalue=true]
could it be that the “dynamicturnonvalue” function cannot work together or clash with the fadetime or dimetime delays?

Maybe. I don‘t use it. I can imagine that dimtime could be a problem.

I change the fadetime and dimtime both to 0 but the problem remain.
sometimes the state gets recoverd but most of the time the LEDs stay off when a ON command is send to the item.
What can I do to get this to work?

When I remove “fadetime” from my thing configuration it seems to work.
Can this be fixed in the binding?

Hi @J-N-K

That lovely DMXactions method you created for the rules seems to have stopped working now that I’ve upgraded to 2.5.3. (I’m happy to roll back if that’s the only reasonable action)

Whenever I trigger a rules based DMX effect, like developed here, I get this error in the openhab.log file

2020-04-10 11:00:08.638 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule 'Clock switch turned ON': Instance is not an DmxActions class.
2020-04-10 11:00:12.644 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule 'Clock switch changed': Instance is not an DmxActions class.

I have downloaded your latest version from your website.

Many thanks for any time you can spare to look at this.

Best wishes,
Stuart

The 2.5.3 buildings newer (never updated the one, since nothing changed). This „not a thingaction class“ error happens sometimes if new bindings are installed (or updated). A restart should fix it.

1 Like

Oh right…

That’s the one thing I haven’t done.

Update

Yup… That fixed it :slight_smile: :confetti_ball:

FTR: This is necessary until https://github.com/openhab/openhab-core/issues/1265 is fixed.

1 Like

Hi,

I would like to control with Openhab some decorative light strips with DMX. In terms of hardware, can you check if this will work?

The Art-Net Box above do the same thing as the Smart Show NetDMX?

In theory… Yes